• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Overstreet out in a number of weeks, what will it say?

59 posts in this topic

Hello Everyone,

Its been a while since Ive been here. About 5 months. Overstreet will be out I assume in April.

What do you think it will say about.

1.What do you think were the surprise unexpected hit book lines of the year in each category?

2.What was and is popular in gold, silver, bronze, and modern age books?

3. What do you think they are going to recommend buying for future price rise? What do you think they are going to say is dying as a book line?

4. What was the biggest sleeper book of the year?

Stars for everyone who responds! Wait!!!!, What Stars, they all done disappeared?!?!?!?!?

I'd like to know if it's on time and if so what is the date it's suppose to ship! sumo.gif

Prices?

10% up across the board with maybe 15-20% increases in certain FFs, Hulks, and ASMs.

What else is new? smirk.gif

1. In 2003, Heritage auctioned off some Harvey files & publisher files at record breaking prices so they will hopefully show nm keys up a modest 15% finally. When Richie Rich #1 cgc 8.0 or 8.5 with blue pen writing makepoint.gif on the front cover still sells for over 2x nm guide in Feb/04, Ostreet must be out of wack. 893frustrated.gif

Wonder if any comics will DROP in value per Ostreet? confused-smiley-013.gif

1. In 2003, Heritage auctioned off some Harvey files & publisher files at record breaking prices so they will hopefully show nm keys up a modest 15% finally. When Richie Rich #1 cgc 8.0 or 8.5 with blue pen writing makepoint.gif on the front cover still sells for over 2x nm guide in Feb/04, Ostreet must be out of wack. 893frustrated.gif

Wonder if any comics will DROP in value per Ostreet? confused-smiley-013.gif

Well,If they have been tracking my purchases as closely as they have in the past,I can tell you which books will go up the least.Hopefully,using multiple shills on ebay may confuse them this year. thumbsup2.gif

I say 10% across the board with up to 30% increases in key NM SA titles. I can't see them going another year and not reflecting the increases we've seen over the last three years. If they do......I fear that any existing cred that the OS book has as a price guide will be gone.

I also expect the market reports will be full of dealer reports that bottom of the box books (i.e. New Universe, Star, Atlas/Seaboard, maybe even Continuity, etc...) will be red hot! 893frustrated.gif

Jim

I'm expecting the usual conservative price rises as per Overstreet.

What would also be good to see is various data/listing mistakes corrected, as outlined in a previous thread on the boards.

Hope you were listening Overstreet. grin.gif

I expect the usual - conservative on the high end books (good), cover price given for quarter-bin books with little or no real value (bad). I hope I hope I hope Overstreet doesn't bow to the pressure and start listing slabbed prices.

Probably too late for the Victorian Age information I submitted to show up, but with any luck... thumbsup2.gif

Hello Everyone,

Its been a while since Ive been here. About 5 months. Overstreet will be out I assume in April.

What do you think it will say

Well I'll tell you five things I hope they amend....

1 - Double Action 2 - I paid $8300 for it in "Good". Steve Geppi paid $50,000 in "near mint". If the guide doesn't reflect this, then there's something very wrong.

2 - The Superman Bradman comic - As I paid over five hundred for it, and I only know of one other copy, and he's had it since 1988, I think the $3 price in the guide might be a little unrealistic

3 - The rare Man Of Steel Contest Giveaway - Despite the recent fuss, I still paid $750 for it, so its Overstreet listing of $22 might be a LITTLE incorrect !!!!!!

4 - Buzzy 70 - Its Overstreet seven dollar guide price might be a fraction out. I'd pay $600 for it tomorrow.

5 - Supergear - I don't have it but I'd pay ten times guide for it gladly.

3 - The rare Man Of Steel Contest Giveaway - Despite the recent fuss, I still paid $750 for it, so its Overstreet listing of $22 might be a LITTLE incorrect !!!!!!

Just cause you paid $750 for it doesn't mean it's worth that much....

You could be the only one in the world willing to buy at that price.....

Jim

I collated the whole list from that thread and others, but I can tell you right now that while some corrections made it in, plenty of them were not in hand in time to make it into this edition. But I still have the whole list and encourage more feedback as well. We'll get them all in one way or another - there's always the next book too smile.gif. Yes, people are listening.

Arnold

If memory serves, I had seen in some other post or another that Bob wasn't going to show declining prices and thus was only going to show gradual increases to be insulated against a falling market.

If true, does anyone else like that? Personally, I would rather have a more accurate representation of what is actually happening in the marketplace. IE, Mister X pays $1,000 for a comic, and that should be considered in the pricing. Even if it was at $3 or whatever in last guide.

Or is the general consensus that it's only a guide, and that it should only show a general approximation of what it might/should be at?

Is there room in the marketplace for a guide and a sales history/record?

Poll worthy or been discussed before?

juggle.gif

I wonder if the Next Men 21 blow up made it into the pages!! thumbsup2.gif

Bob tends to be conservative on hype-inflated prices. And usually comes out pretty accurate in the end. It may list somewhere near $35-$50, and we'll see it come back to those levels after the movie hype dies down.

(i.e., SELL NOW!)

Arnold

that sounds like good news - well, I'm cautiously optimistic at least!

I look forward to the guide every year - and I relish the day that its word is gospel! Rather than just nearly-gospel.

Still, it's far better than the CBG one.

Just cause you paid $750 for it doesn't mean it's worth that much....

You could be the only one in the world willing to buy at that price.....

Jim

True, but if he's the only person to have purchased one in the past year (not sure this is the case, but it could well be), and he paid $750 for it, you'd expect it to go up fairly significantly, wouldn't you? It's an interesting question in general - how many sales of a particular book do you think Overstreet has to see before they accept a significant change in value, as in this case?

having only one sale could really leave OS open to manipulation by those with a lot to gain...say I sell you a book for $1000 that rarely is sold and has maybe a value of $10 in OS...well then I buy a book from you for $1000 that is also rarely sold and guides for $10. These sales could have a huge impact on the statistical price of the book...the way that I think that GPA values books..but really all we have shown is that both books are worth the same thing not that both books are worth $1000...if both sales were the only sales for the particular both we could say that each is "worth" $1000 since that is the last recorded sales for each book...

I hope I hope I hope Overstreet doesn't bow to the pressure and start listing slabbed prices.

I think this is irresponsible sentiment and I applaud Wizard for doing just this. Slabbed prices are hugely important and represent a very large segment of back issues sales. Some people will ONLY buy slabbed comics, at least of those online. The comics world has changed with the arrival of CGC (and new competitors) and their impact should be felt to reflect reality. I hope that Overstreet does publish slabbed values, if not with the raw prices then in another section of it's own. It is important to publish this information so that new collectors coming into the field have something to go by. ------Sid

I think this is irresponsible sentiment and I applaud Wizard for doing just this. Slabbed prices are hugely important and represent a very large segment of back issues sales. Some people will ONLY buy slabbed comics, at least of those online. The comics world has changed with the arrival of CGC (and new competitors) and their impact should be felt to reflect reality. I hope that Overstreet does publish slabbed values, if not with the raw prices then in another section of it's own. It is important to publish this information so that new collectors coming into the field have something to go by. ------Sid

Not necessarily disagreeing with you Sid.....

But if Wizard is already providing this info why should OS report it?

Jim