• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age Green Lantern 39 - what's the deal?

26 posts in this topic

Does anyone have any insight on this 1949 issue? a few have sold on ebay for $225 and there is no mention of this book in overstreet and gerber.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GOLDEN-AGE-GREEN-LANTERN-39-/200485763283?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eade1f8d3

Counterfeit? This same seller has sold 4 or 5 copies and the condition is almost too good to be true.

As I posted in the thread in General, the cover image on the #39 is from All-American Comics #64. One would assume that the interior is also from that issue.

I don't really have a problem with somebody creating these as a novelty, but when they make statements like this when selling them:

"This Special issue was made in a limited run in 1949."

then they are committing fraud.

so is the #40...

dc never produced these in 1939 and 1940...

yup - it actually says 1949 but that doesn't really matter.

right, I meant dc never produced 39 and 40, somehow my brain converted to years lol

As I posted in the thread in General, the cover image on the #39 is from All-American Comics #64. One would assume that the interior is also from that issue.

I don't really have a problem with somebody creating these as a novelty, but when they make statements like this when selling them:

"This Special issue was made in a limited run in 1949."

then they are committing fraud.

yeah - sorry to post this in 2 places - someone suggested I post it in the Golden Age section before you found the cover image.

The font used in the "Clemente Gang!" at the bottom appears to be Arial (an imitator of the famous Helvetica), which according to wikipedia was created in 1982.

I noticed that too, and it's the same deal on the #40. Those are definitely fonts that weren't being used on 1949 comic books.

The font used in the "Clemente Gang!" at the bottom appears to be Arial (an imitator of the famous Helvetica), which according to wikipedia was created in 1982.

I noticed that too, and it's the same deal on the #40. Those are definitely fonts that weren't being used on 1949 comic books.

well after looking at his feedback - this is the same seller that was selling the AA 16 and GL 1 reproductions - so its pretty much a closed case that he's manufacturing them himself.

Amazing that people are dumb enough to pull the trigger on these books - the #40 doesn't even have the right logo for the end of the run, and if such books existed would likely have featured Streak the Wonder dog on the cover.

If you're going to make a forgery, at least have some respect for visual continuity dammit!

Amazing that people are dumb enough to pull the trigger on these books - the #40 doesn't even have the right logo for the end of the run, and if such books existed would likely have featured Streak the Wonder dog on the cover.

If you're going to make a forgery, at least have some respect for visual continuity dammit!

especially after he posted 4 copies :screwy: makes me wonder if he had a friend bid on one just to make them look more legit and see if he could get the ball rolling. he hasn't received any feedback from them

My buddy emailed him.

Hello Comicstew. I don't remember selling you a copy of either book. Do you have one them in your possession. These I bought at a convention in 1967 in New York. I had them since then in my barn. Only now have they been resold onto the market. If you have one I'll gladly take it back. I have several that wanted one but I only had those few..

- johnjozz

Comicstews reply:

Dear johnjozz,

What are you saying? You have sold these before a few years ago already plus you sold other reprinted books. As well, 31 years ago (one ad says you have had them for 31 years) and 34 years ago (2nd ad) is only 1976-1979. Now you are telling me you bought them a decade earlier? The font on the cover appears to be far too new to be from the 1940s as well. The covers are amalgamations of other covers just like one would do with Photoshop so I am not sure where you can say these are from 1949. I'm just trying to understand what these really are other than fake books made to look as if the series continued.

Stew

No reply as of yet.