• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CBCA News and Events

13 posts in this topic

As there are quite a few members of the Comic Book Collecting Association that are also regular posters on these boards, the CBCA Board of Directors decided to create a thread here in order to disseminate news and information about the organization. Thanks for reading! (thumbs u

To kick off this thread, we are happy to announce that we have a winner in the drawing for a free one-year subscription to GPAnalysis :

CONGRATULATIONS! to Terry O'Neil of Terry's Comics whose name was drawn from the first 50 new members that joined after our public launch in February. Also, a big thank you goes to CBCA member George Pantela of GPAnalysis for donating this prize. :applause:

Remember, there will also be a drawing for a free LIFETIME subscription to GPAnalysis from the first 200 new members of CBCA. That number is close to being reached, so join now if you want a chance to win. Thanks!

Jeff Shanks

CBCA President

The Comic Book Collecting Association (CBCA) is a nonprofit international organization made up of comic book enthusiasts who share an appreciation for the history, artistic merit, and significance of the comic book medium as an important element of popular culture. The mission of the CBCA is to promote the comic book art form and hobby of comic book collecting for people of all ages by encouraging fellowship among comic book enthusiasts, providing information and education to the public, and helping to facilitate the buying, selling, and trading of comic books and related material in an environment of trustworthiness and integrity. For more information about the CBCA please visit our website at www.comiccollecting.org .

Am I elligible. I want a lifetime subscription to gpa.

Unfortunately Pat, you and Rick aren't new members so you guys aren't eligible. :(

Although you could cancel your membership and then sign up again. Then you'd be eligible. :idea:

(Of course you'd have to pay dues again.) hm

Forrest, I think you are in the running. (thumbs u

Actually, a slight correction...

All CBCA members are eligible for the free lifetime GPA subscription. As it was originally announced:

The CBCA is proud to offer an opportunity to win a lifetime subscription to GPAnalysis! A winner will be randomly selected from the first 200 CBCA members.

Only new members were eligible for the free year GPA subscription.

:hi:

Speaking for my part, it came out of that group but from what I understand, it's much more than a mere face-lift as disclosure really isn't the primary premise of the organization--though it is a component amongst many others (at least from my understanding).

I did join the CBCA because I think there is a really opportunity to do some real work on bringing a greater presence of comics and graphic novels into academic institutions. There are a few projects in the works (and wow, they are much more time-intensive than I initially thought!) that I think will help us as a hobby move forward with this aim. When I brought some of my ideas before a few of the officers and the board, they were more than enthusiastic. And there are things people are working on as well. I think part of why it's a little quiet right now (in my opinion) is that those of working on these educational projects want them to be done well and it takes some time to do just that. However, given the greater emphasis on the educational aspect of comics, I think it delineates itself pretty clearly from the previous organization's mission otherwise, I wouldn't have come aboard to be perfectly honest. As is, it's something I personally see falling in line with both my personal and professional interests.

Is CBCA the new group that replaced NOD or whatever it was called?

Not trying to start anything just curious if its the same group with a new mission statement.

That's essentially correct. With the substantial change in mission statement and purpose, however, NOD effectively ceased to exist, and the CBCA came into being. While the CBCA retains NOD's commitiment to ethics, the organization is also focusing heavily on promoting education and the social aspects of the hobby.

I think we also have a more positve outlook and try to emphasize how enjoyable comic collecting can be. There were some members of the previous organization that were not comfortable with this new direction and they have gone their own way, but most of them embraced the change. Today, about two-thirds of the current members are new and had no affiliation with NOD at all. Only about half of the members come from these boards. CBCA is growing and we hope to become a positive force in the hobby in the coming years.

Speaking for my part, it came out of that group but from what I understand, it's much more than a mere face-lift as disclosure really isn't the primary premise of the organization--though it is a component amongst many others (at least from my understanding).

I did join the CBCA because I think there is a really opportunity to do some real work on bringing a greater presence of comics and graphic novels into academic institutions. There are a few projects in the works (and wow, they are much more time-intensive than I initially thought!) that I think will help us as a hobby move forward with this aim. When I brought some of my ideas before a few of the officers and the board, they were more than enthusiastic. And there are things people are working on as well. I think part of why it's a little quiet right now (in my opinion) is that those of working on these educational projects want them to be done well and it takes some time to do just that. However, given the greater emphasis on the educational aspect of comics, I think it delineates itself pretty clearly from the previous organization's mission otherwise, I wouldn't have come aboard to be perfectly honest. As is, it's something I personally see falling in line with both my personal and professional interests.

Well said, Forrest, and thank you for the ideas and energy you have brought to the organization. :hi:

Is CBCA the new group that replaced NOD or whatever it was called?

Not trying to start anything just curious if its the same group with a new mission statement.

That's essentially correct. With the substantial change in mission statement and purpose, however, NOD effectively ceased to exist, and the CBCA came into being. While the CBCA retains NOD's commitiment to ethics, the organization is also focusing heavily on promoting education and the social aspects of the hobby.

I think we also have a more positve outlook and try to emphasize how enjoyable comic collecting can be. There were some members of the previous organization that were not comfortable with this new direction and they have gone their own way, but most of them embraced the change. Today, about two-thirds of the current members are new and had no affiliation with NOD at all. Only about half of the members come from these boards. CBCA is growing and we hope to become a positive force in the hobby in the coming years.

Thanks for the info and good luck. :)