• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

modern comics

16 posts in this topic

So I have a bunch of stuff from 80's up with no 9.8's in the bunch Anything I'd be sellling would simply be reader copies ... What I'm wondering from all you guys experience is it worth trying to sell this stuff online here ?.. I have about 7 boxes of comics full of random stuff I'd like to get rid of ... One comic shop told me I'd get about $150 from him for all 7 boxes & another I can get about $50 a box hm:P

how low would I have to put stuff up for sale here as well to actually sell it ?.. Would I even get more out of it selling books at .50 cents each or less or what have you than I would from the LCS ?...

Do group lots of random spiderman & xmen/batman comics sell well ?..

If I have to pay to ship them out its not worth anything I get :S That's another thing being in Canada would people even want to pay the shipping on the books ?..

So I have a bunch of stuff from 80's up with no 9.8's in the bunch Anything I'd be sellling would simply be reader copies ... What I'm wondering from all you guys experience is it worth trying to sell this stuff online here ?.. I have about 7 boxes of comics full of random stuff I'd like to get rid of ... One comic shop told me I'd get about $150 from him for all 7 boxes & another I can get about $50 a box hm:P

how low would I have to put stuff up for sale here as well to actually sell it ?.. Would I even get more out of it selling books at .50 cents each or less or what have you than I would from the LCS ?...

$50 a box for reading copies of almost everything, with very very few exceptions, is extraordinarily optimistic.

You'd be lucky to get $15/box.

You might get $20/box on eBay...maybe. of course, that's with the $25/box media charge on top.

Runs. Complete runs. Runs missing the keys you might as well give away.

But if you have a complete run of, say, X-Men #200-#300, even in reading copy shape, that would do fairly well ($50-$100 on a good day.)

Even missing ONE book from the run will result in a much lower sale.

With the type of books your describing I think most buyers will be interested if sold by group/storyline. No one wants a random lowgrade modern. But personally I am always looking for a good story and like picking up complete story arcs of low grade readers on the boards.

as always:

interest.gif

$50 a box for reading copies of almost everything, with very very few exceptions, is extraordinarily optimistic.

You'd be lucky to get $15/box.

You might get $20/box on eBay...maybe. of course, that's with the $25/box media charge on top.

Runs. Complete runs. Runs missing the keys you might as well give away.

But if you have a complete run of, say, X-Men #200-#300, even in reading copy shape, that would do fairly well ($50-$100 on a good day.)

Even missing ONE book from the run will result in a much lower sale.

^ ^ This ^ ^ is pretty much the droids you're looking for. All of it. $50/box at one shop for 90's readers of the Marvel/DC variety? Jump all over that.

^ ^ This ^ ^ is pretty much the droids you're looking for. :roflmao: All of it. $50/box at one shop for 90's readers of the Marvel/DC variety? Jump all over that.

I agree with that. Hell, if I had an LCS owner offer me $50 a long box for my 80's-90's shi...stuff, I'd jump at it. I could use an extra grand right now.

Ok thanks guys I guess I'll stick with that then... Thought I'd just see what those of you with more experience selling stuff thought of my options :) What about current modern runs though ?.. I have stuff like astonishing x-men & new avengers in these boxes :D Some are not all complete since I stopped collecting the singles but I have fair "run" chunks of comics ...

Things I've paid cover price for just last year seems wrong getting rid of them for so low :D

Ok thanks guys I guess I'll stick with that then... Thought I'd just see what those of you with more experience selling stuff thought of my options :) What about current modern runs though ?.. I have stuff like astonishing x-men & new avengers in these boxes :D Some are not all complete since I stopped collecting the singles but I have fair "run" chunks of comics ...

Things I've paid cover price for just last year seems wrong getting rid of them for so low :D

That's the nature of the beast.

Cover price = value when new.

Just like a TV show's greatest advertising value is when it is first aired, and a new car's greatest value is just before it is driven off the lot, so a comic's cover price is it's greatest value as entertainment, because it is new, the next chapter, its "what happens next??" value.

Once any book becomes a back issue, it's no longer the latest and greatest, and is worth substantially less. Been there, done that, where's the latest issue?

It is only because of this silly notion we have that comic books are collectibles that people tend to get upset about cover price.

Believe it or not, there really was a time when dealers had to offer substantial discounts to move back issue comic books. Frankly, I'm glad those times are upon us once more. Having to pay a premium for every single back issue that didn't sell as a new issue was a royal pain in the rear for many, many years.

If I have to pay to ship them out its not worth anything I get :S That's another thing being in Canada would people even want to pay the shipping on the books ?..

If you have them cataloged I'd take a look through them. I need to connect with fellow Canadian collectors anyway... :)

Comic companies are their own worst enemies here. Instead of looking at ways to lower production and talent cost they keep jacking up the prices and inflating ad prices(So I have been told). Heck Id even be impressed if the kept raising prices and then went to cheap quality paper at least it would tell me they are trying to raise their profit margin.

Go with cheaper stock, print in black and white and dont pay top dollar for artist who arent as hot as they thick they are. Actually pack your comics well that you ship for once. It would even do wonders for the modern slab market by increasing the struggle to achieve a high grade modern. Lower print runs, try writing 3-5 issue storylines and such. Movie money is start to make comic companies just plain dumb.