• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Well this AF #15 is NOT a 9.6, But it's All Original!!!

35 posts in this topic

what a piece of crapola! why would anyone want to own it??

I dont know, I think this auction would be good for someone who wants to be able to say he owns an AF15 but doesn't have much money. Also would be good for a small time dealer to be able to show off to his customers who may not be familiar with eBay.

I bet the auction ends at $525

I dont know, I think this auction would be good for someone who wants to be able to say he owns an AF15 but doesn't have much money.

Exactly. I've accused this board before about being "grade snobs". You have to realize that beyond the people on this board, there is an entire market for lower grade comics. For someone who doesn't have the resources for a complete Good copy, why not own this one, to say you have one? I don't have my OPG with me, but what is a G copy worth? About $3000? So there has to be a market for $0-$2999 copies. Why is a $300 copy of AF #15 less desirable than a $300 copy of ASM #129?

This creates an opportunity to profit. There is no standardized pricing guide for less than G comics. If you watch the market well enough, there is money to be made here. I paid $75 for a coverless ASM #1 once, and made a profit on it. Good luck finding one for less than $100 now. (Giving away my secrets... foreheadslap.gif)

(Damn the HTML features for not allowing "less than" signs.)

What is the point in owning something thats looks as disgusting as this book? It isn't pleasing to the eye in any way, shape, or form, and it looks like it could completely fall apart at any moment.

What is the point in owning something thats looks as disgusting as this book? It isn't pleasing to the eye in any way, shape, or form, and it looks like it could completely fall apart at any moment.

Assuming you don't have thousands to spend, you'd rather not have one at all? I'd gladly pay $100 for just the front cover to a Detective #27. Maybe more.

I'm interested in almost ALL Silver and golden age KEYS in looow grade. This is the main reason I looked at this copy. I DO agree there is a BIG Market for lower grade keys, I know because I bid against MANY different people for these books. However this book was so"uniquely" BAD I wondered what would happen,given all the Spiderman hype. I was "SURPRISED" initially when I saw it went over $300, NOW it would not surprise me if it went over $400. I agree people just WANT this book no matter how bad, so they can say they "own" it. Still I don't think I would be pulling this out to show friends. insane.gif

I dont know, I think this auction would be good for someone who wants to be able to say he owns an AF15 but doesn't have much money.

Exactly. I've accused this board before about being "grade snobs". You have to realize that beyond the people on this board, there is an entire market for lower grade comics. For someone who doesn't have the resources for a complete Good copy, why not own this one, to say you have one? I don't have my OPG with me, but what is a G copy worth? About $3000? So there has to be a market for $0-$2999 copies. Why is a $300 copy of AF #15 less desirable than a $300 copy of ASM #129?

This creates an opportunity to profit. There is no standardized pricing guide for less than G comics. If you watch the market well enough, there is money to be made here. I paid $75 for a coverless ASM #1 once, and made a profit on it. Good luck finding one for less than $100 now. (Giving away my secrets... foreheadslap.gif)

i'm sure you're correct in the fact that there are many "grade snobs" on this board (it is the CGC board, afterall). however, i take exception to the notion that we're SO snobbish that many of us don't own a small ton of low grade books. i have lots of VG's that i bought to fill in holes in my silver age runs. the difference is that they are still quasi-presentable.

this book is a horse of a different color. it looks horrible! and about a 4 square inch piece of every page is missing! perhaps so much so, that i would guess that the missing chunk might interfere with one's enjoyment of the read.

the same $300 spent on an ASM #129 would get you a very decent and presentable collectible. sumo.gif

I was a bidder on this book up until a certain point and I have plenty of low grade books, but I have to agree that I would rather have a complete book with the cover detached then have this one with a chunk missing all the way through the book. For me the cover art is a key piece of the book, so it's just less appealing for the masses.

Your not wrong in your reasoning of why the price is up there, because it is an affordable copy regardless of if it ends for $300 or $400 or what ever thumbsup2.gif

I would love to have a copy of this and I passed on an $1100 dollar copy that was probably a GD+....should have bought it foreheadslap.gif

i'm sure you're correct in the fact that there are many "grade snobs" on this board (it is the CGC board, afterall). however, i take exception to the notion that we're SO snobbish that many of us don't own a small ton of low grade books. i have lots of VG's that i bought to fill in holes in my silver age runs. the difference is that they are still quasi-presentable.

this book is a horse of a different color. it looks horrible! and about a 4 square inch piece of every page is missing! perhaps so much so, that i would guess that the missing chunk might interfere with one's enjoyment of the read.

the same $300 spent on an ASM #129 would get you a very decent and presentable collectible. sumo.gif

Great discussion, BTW. I agree that the comic looks horrible, but considering the books value, don't you think there'd be a market for it? I'm not saying one should be proud of a collection full of 3/4 complete comics. But considering a G is valued $1263 (I can finally look it up), what would you expect this copy to sell for? Should collectors be all or nothing when buying comics?

ASM #17 books for $1000 in NM. Should collectors only buy a NM copy or nothing, or are there 10 grades below that $1000 copy? Then why shouldn't the $1263 AF #15 also have 10 grades below it, for those on a budget?

Would you pay $400 for an Action 1 in the same shape as this AF 15 ? Bear in mind that not that long ago, you could get an Action 1 in this shape for $400. And at that time, high grade collectors - in fact probably most collectors in general - would have thought you were crazy.

This book will appreciate in value...but not as fast as many other books you could get for $400. But if you're more interested in just having a copy of AF 15, the appreciation rate may not be near the top of your list of purchasing considerations...

i'm sure you're correct in the fact that there are many "grade snobs" on this board (it is the CGC board, afterall). however, i take exception to the notion that we're SO snobbish that many of us don't own a small ton of low grade books.

Interesting statement. Without trying to hijack this good Thread, I would like to think that this statement is not totally true. If the higher status of a comic is available, the lower the grade desired just to own such a comic. For example, if someone offers me a good price on Iron Man Subby # 1 at VF 7.0, I would decline as I have them already. If I had a chance to get Action #1 at G 2.0 at $1,000.00 I would fly out and pay whatever the air ticket price was to get it. All collectors have a range of what they will collect and their standards will vary under the circumstances and opportunities presented; nothing can be categorized such as a "grade snob".

CAL

Unreal. foreheadslap.gif

Closes at $500+, and was "sniped" to do it!! God Bless that Spiderman hype!! 893whatthe.gif

ditto - $500 for that book is unreal. i wouldn't care what shape it was in if it was complete (and i think missing that huge a chunk from the entire book makes it incomplete), but this is beyond reasoning (IMO). obviously there were folks who wanted it so more power to 'em......... thumbsup2.gif

actually, i hope this winner tries a quick flip just to see if he can squeeze another couple hundred out of another desparate buyer 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

fantasy; what do you think a restored (slight amateur) 8.5 would go for???

what do you think a restored (slight amateur) 8.5 would go for???

Who's got an 8.5 slight? I won one on eBay last year, and the seller refused to sell it to me after the auction was over because apparantly he wanted more money for it.. I've been looking for one ever since.