• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Torpedo Comics & "framed artwork" Liquidation Auctions

25 posts in this topic

Did you end up making a move on the Faust #2's "framed artwork"?

I'll let you in on a secret: John D did own the originals for those 2 covers.

I went back and forth on these and ended up not bidding on them.

Too much doubt about the item for me. Especially when looking at THIS AUCTION and THIS AUCTION . One of those is a print(if not both)

And were Vigil's covers airbrushed or inked?

The volume 1, Northstar covers, have 2 versions: 1 is inked, then printed as a B&W portfolio; the published versions were painted.

Volume 2, Rebel covers, had only painted & airbrushed covers.

The comics in that picture are the Northstar #2 and the Rebel #2.

The volume 1, Northstar covers, have 2 versions: 1 is inked, then printed as a B&W portfolio; the published versions were painted.

Volume 2, Rebel covers, had only painted & airbrushed covers.

The comics in that picture are the Northstar #2 and the Rebel #2.

So, are you saying those are originals? :mad: Because if they are I may have went a little higher than $14 :frustrated:

And, any opinions on THESE CLEAVENGER "Artwork Prints?" Hard to tell from the pic

any opinions on THESE CLEAVENGER "Artwork Prints?" Hard to tell from the pic

Well, I don't know Cleaveger art very well. He sells a lot of poster prints and giclees. I guess the question is: do you think John mounted a giclee onto a board? Because those things are standing free. No frame. The giclee would have the matte finish that the image seems to show, rather than a shiny poster finish.

Of course, the description is print on posterboard. So, they may have been mounted prints.

But those corners look a little dinged, and that looks like thick board. They may have been the originals.

So, are you saying those are originals? :mad: Because if they are I may have went a little higher than $14 :frustrated:

I'm jerking your chain a bit. If I thought those were originals, I would have been in Arizona bidding.

In 2004 (I think, date might have been 2005), Tim Vigil had 4 original painted covers at the SDCC: Northstar #2, Rebel #2, Rebel #5 & Rebel #9. The prices were 5k, 5k, 5k, 4k. John D bought the first 3 with cash. He came back the next year to buy the #9, but he was a day late. And promptly threw a fit, tried to get Vigil to rescind the sale so he could buy it.

Are they the originals? I'm saying 'no'.

1) where is the #5 cover? it wasn't listed.

2) why frame them together, in that tacky frame, if you paid 10k combined

3) Torpedo did have a set of #2 & #2 co-framed prints available on their website for $450. That's what this was.

This auction was for the property of Torpedo Comics, not John D's personal property.

Re: the Cleaveger 'prints'; I can't say I recall a listing on Torpedo for these. I do remember the Wrightson Batman: The Cult page. I don't recall the various Iron Man pages.

I got 800 boxes of stuff

have to pick it up tomorrow

I wonder if this stuff will fit in my 3000gt??

at least a Jusko painting will be a passenger

Anything that doesn't fit, just leave it there and I'll pick it up on Friday :hi:

Jusko? What auction # was that? I completely missed it

Rich,

That wasn't me!

That was my brother in law's friend! (whom I've met once) but good thing I was somehow connected to someone who lived in the area, otherwise I wouldn't be able to bid on the stuff.

Malvin