• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More CGC Grading Fun

347 posts in this topic

Between 50-60 other books with the same/similar techniques were submitted in total and caught at the same time.

Are you kidding? That's awful. Given that the original Batman 11 was a very solid high-ish grade, that potentially means that this cretin defaced 50+ valuable Golden Age books with this technique?? ugh. What a sick loser.

So he said that a couple of books slipped through? Can he tell us the serial numbers of the others that he believes got a Blue label despite the trimming? Or is it up to us to just stumble across them at some point?

Steve said that they would also buy back the trimmed book from the owner when Heritage reached him/her... regardless if Heritage can obtain the funds back from the consignor.

CORRECTION: CGC graders/employees cannot commercially buy or sell comics. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif They also cannot buy or sell CGG graded comics. That means, if they choose to, they can trade, buy or sell un-certified comics among their friends. That also means they cannot sell un-certified comics on ebay, in ads, or on consignment. It just so happens that no one here is actively collecting high grade comics, we get our "fix" because we have the largest collection in the world passing through our hands all day long

I have chosen, because of my postion at CGC, to not buy or sell any vintage comics. I no longer own any comics from before 2000. I still buy new comics every week they come out, I will never give up reading comics, I love them! I now collect original comic art because I missed the buying and selling aspect of collecting.

--------------------

"Somehow, people keep coming up with the idea that I want them to kill their neighbor. Well, I don't. And to be honest, I'm really getting sick and tired of it. Get it straight. Not only do I not want anybody to kill anyone, but I specifically commanded you not to, in really simple terms that anybody ought to be able to understand." - God, during an interview with the Onion

How can he do this devil.gifHere is the full post

Steve said that they would also buy back the trimmed book from the owner when Heritage reached him/her... regardless if Heritage can obtain the funds back from the consignor.

CORRECTION: CGC graders/employees cannot commercially buy or sell comics. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif They also cannot buy or sell CGG graded comics. That means, if they choose to, they can trade, buy or sell un-certified comics among their friends. That also means they cannot sell un-certified comics on ebay, in ads, or on consignment. It just so happens that no one here is actively collecting high grade comics, we get our "fix" because we have the largest collection in the world passing through our hands all day long

I have chosen, because of my postion at CGC, to not buy or sell any vintage comics. I no longer own any comics from before 2000. I still buy new comics every week they come out, I will never give up reading comics, I love them! I now collect original comic art because I missed the buying and selling aspect of collecting.

--------------------

"Somehow, people keep coming up with the idea that I want them to kill their neighbor. Well, I don't. And to be honest, I'm really getting sick and tired of it. Get it straight. Not only do I not want anybody to kill anyone, but I specifically commanded you not to, in really simple terms that anybody ought to be able to understand." - God, during an interview with the Onion

CGC the company is buying the book back, not CGC graders and/or employees.

Thanks for the follow-up call Bruce, it's nice to hear they've taken steps to stop this fraud in his/her tracks. thumbsup2.gif

I'd be interested in hearing what the restoration experts think about these two

books in Heritage's April auction:

Detective 97, 9.4, Spokane, upgraded from 9.0 (lot 5907 in March '03 auction)

Marvel Mystery 37, 9.4, Pennsylvania, upgraded from 8.0 (lot 5070 in Dec. '02)

Were these restored?

Unfortunately, I can't provide a link because of the security hole at Heritage so

you'd have to use their search engine.

Btw., despite all the bad press, I think very highly of Heritage and have bought

valuable books from them. The fact that they provide the search engine with

such detailed scans makes it pretty clear to me that they are just as sincere

as CGC about making it even safer to buy certified books. Eventually, I think

that better databases for tracking the certification history of books will be a

sufficient solution to these problems. Unfortunately, the lack of such a service

currently leaves a loophole for unethical speculators. That's my own motivation

for trying to track pedigree sales.

--------------------

CGC the company is buying the book back, not CGC graders and/or employees.

Thanks for the follow-up call Bruce, it's nice to hear they've taken steps to stop this fraud in his/her tracks. thumbsup2.gif

The person who has the comic should have the comic re slabed Restored(FOR FREE) and get the difference for a Universal grade to Restored grade. CGC should not get the comic 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The person who has the comic should have the comic re slabed Restored(FOR FREE) and get the difference for a Universal grade to Restored grade. CGC should not get the comic

What would CGG do?

The real question is What would Jesus do? angel.gif

The person who has the comic should have the comic re slabed Restored(FOR FREE) and get the difference for a Universal grade to Restored grade. CGC should not get the comic

What would CGG do?

What the hell are you talking about? confused.gif

What would CGG do?

What the hell are you talking about? confused.gif

Pay no attention to the CGG/tdcomix shill. sleeping.gif