• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More CGC Grading Fun

347 posts in this topic

A very classy thing to do by CGC. thumbsup2.gif And if they are concerned about the "no buying/selling" rule, they should auction off the book as restored and donate the proceeds to the CBLDF.

Also... Steve said that they would also buy back the trimmed book from the owner when Heritage reached him/her... regardless if Heritage can obtain the funds back from the consignor. I mentioned that was certainly cool but did he realize that may be setting a precedence if any others were ever found? He said "yes" and said he was very confident that the number of restored books that may have made it through are very few and far between and CGC is confident enough to stand behind their resto checks and buy back any others, should there be any discovered.

In any event, according to Steve, 1, maybe 2 slipped through and were shipped to the submitter before CGC caught on and flagged a book for a "new type of trimming".

First of all, the Batman #11 was the only book submitted on that order form: Looking up certs with only the trailing number incremented turns up no entries. So unfortunately that doesn't help us track down any more that may have been trimmed.

Second, I'm curious as to how CGC picked up on this new form of restoration so quickly.

Finally, like everyone here I want to offer my congratulations to CGC for dealing with this mess in a stand-up manner. Now, if we could only get Heritage to address some of their ... issues. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Alan

As Atomicpaul said, Detective appears unchanged. (note -It's Crowley copy not Spokane.)

Creases on bottom of back cover are pressed on Pennsylvania Marvel Mystery 37.

hkp- you can make links to Heritage auctions if you remove that -sid=CAFetc.etc.etc part from links.

example

http://apps.heritagecomics.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=808&Lot_No=6265

http://apps.heritagecomics.com/common/auction/preview.php?SaleNo=810&LotIdNo=4028

Thanks Atomic, Arty. I was wondering about the lower staple on

the #37 which looks slightly different - maybe it is just a shadow

artifact(?)...

Here are the links to the 'Tec 97 (Crowley) that I was referring to.

I have not seen many unaltered copies that made a two-notch

jump to 9.4 on the resub:

http://apps.heritagecomics.com/common/auction/preview.php?SaleNo=810&LotIdNo=1042

http://apps.heritagecomics.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=806&Lot_No=5907

First of all, the Batman #11 was the only book submitted on that order form: Looking up certs with only the trailing number incremented turns up no entries. So unfortunately that doesn't help us track down any more that may have been trimmed.

Second, I'm curious as to how CGC picked up on this new form of restoration so quickly.

Finally, like everyone here I want to offer my congratulations to CGC for dealing with this mess in a stand-up manner.

1. I don't know the answer to... how many book(s) were in/on how many lots/order forms or how many combined submissions there were overall. It may be that there was only the Bat 11 that got out... time will tell. I expect Steve will look into it and elaborate.

2. Me too, and how it was performed, how they now detect it, etc. Some of that we may learn. I don't think he's going to reveal much about how the technique is performed for reasons given. Its very creative if you think about it (not a compliment). I suppose fraudulent restoration tactics (for lack of a better term) were bound to evolve to try and beat a better system able to detect it.

3. I agree

A very classy thing to do by CGC. thumbsup2.gif And if they are concerned about the "no buying/selling" rule, they should auction off the book as restored and donate the proceeds to the CBLDF.

Also... Steve said that they would also buy back the trimmed book from the owner when Heritage reached him/her... regardless if Heritage can obtain the funds back from the consignor. I mentioned that was certainly cool but did he realize that may be setting a precedence if any others were ever found? He said "yes" and said he was very confident that the number of restored books that may have made it through are very few and far between and CGC is confident enough to stand behind their resto checks and buy back any others, should there be any discovered.

Great Idea thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

The person who has the comic should have the comic re slabed Restored(FOR FREE) and get the difference for a Universal grade to Restored grade. CGC should not get the comic

What would CGG do?

tongue.gif

Could CGG afford to buy that Bats 11, even at the restored price??? tongue.gif

The person who has the comic should have the comic re slabed Restored(FOR FREE) and get the difference for a Universal grade to Restored grade. CGC should not get the comic

What would CGG do?

tongue.gif

Could CGG afford to buy that Bats 11, even at the restored price??? tongue.gif

blush.gif14_4_101.gif

I called over to CGC yesterday a couple of times (something I'm still puzzled that others don't try more often when they have questions/concerns?) and got through to Steve Borock close to closing time. He didn't have too much time but had a few minutes to answer a couple of questions related to this thread. He also mentioned that some time this coming week he'd join in and offer more detail but was too busy at the moment.

BUMP

(I wonder how many drafts Steve has floated by CGC's lawyers? devil.gif)

I called over to CGC yesterday a couple of times (something I'm still puzzled that others don't try more often when they have questions/concerns?) and got through to Steve Borock close to closing time. He didn't have too much time but had a few minutes to answer a couple of questions related to this thread. He also mentioned that some time this coming week he'd join in and offer more detail but was too busy at the moment.

BUMP

If you mean Miller Genuine Drafts, they're each on their fourth one...

BUMP

Six and counting ... insane.gif

BUMP

Six and counting ... insane.gif

Here I am. grin.gif

I have been swamped, we have more books to grade then ever! This is the first time in over a year I have been behind on Standard's and don't even talk to me about how late we are on Economy's!

I did not think it was that important to get back on this thread because Bruce correctly relayed everything I told him. I will be at the CGC board dinner tomorrow night and if anyone has questions they would like answered, maybe you can PM them to some of the folks going to the dinner. I will be happy, as always, to answer all questions asked of me there.

That said, I feel worse than you can imagine about not catching onto this guy sooner, but we are human and eventually something is going to slip through. The difference here is that we (CGC) stand by our certification and will always do the right thing if a mistake occurs. Don't forget, as long as there are greedy people out there, there will always be creeps like Dupcek trying new techniques to screw up the books to get them by dealers, collectors, and CGC. We are confident that when these new techniques are developed CGC will recognize them earlier than anyone else.

Oh, and I did not run any of this past the lawyers stooges.gif

That said, I feel worse than you can imagine about not catching onto this guy sooner, but we are human and eventually something is going to slip through. The difference here is that we (CGC) stand by our certification and will always do the right thing if a mistake occurs. Don't forget, as long as there are greedy people out there, there will always be creeps like Dupcek trying new techniques to screw up the books to get them by dealers, collectors, and CGC. We are confident that when these new techniques are developed CGC will recognize them earlier than anyone else.

893applaud-thumb.gif

That said, I feel worse than you can imagine about not catching onto this guy sooner, but we are human and eventually something is going to slip through. Don't forget, as long as there are greedy people out there, there will always be creeps like Dupcek trying new techniques to screw up the books to get them by dealers, collectors, and CGC.

So, it was Dupchak who tried to "age" the trim job?

893applaud-thumb.gif

Ditto. Everyone screws up at one time or another and no one is perfect. A person's or company's character is defined by how they respond when they do make mistakes, not by how they react when things are going smoothly. Glad to see that CGC stands by its certification and will make things right when a mistake is made. thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for posting Steve, and its good to hear that you guys are trying to do the right thing by the hobby.