• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old CGC label versus Newer Label...make a difference?

44 posts in this topic

I think that odds are probably higher that an "old label" slabbed book isn't pressed.

I believe it was done much less in that time frame of "old label" years.

you might be right...but back in the late 90's, chris f was regularly pressing books...I believe susan was...I know matt was...

Nothing but pressing, or pressing in conjunction with PLOD-able types of restoration, or to eliminate major pressable defects?

I really find it hard to believe that much "pure" pressing, of the kind that`s common today, was going on in the old days, except to straighten out rolled or warped books. Not the kind of pinpoint and marginal pressing that happens today. There just was no financial incentive back then to incur those kinds of costs to eliminate 0.2 levels of defects when 0.2 levels of defects didn`t really exist. Even if collectors did distinguish grades at those fine increments, the price differential between those kinds of increments just wouldn`t have justified the cost..

now true, the way cgc grades (the deduct for flaws method) has definitely led to a HUGE surgence of pressing... but, my guess is that the number of books being submitted in the "old" days, is probably only slightly less proportional to the # of books that were pressed, relative to upto about 2 years ago (when pressing really took off)

I`ll just have to disagree with this. A lot of old school collectors were surprised by the rapid rise of pressing after CGC, even before the huge upsurge of a couple years ago. It definitely didn`t seem to be just more of the same old-same old.

I think that odds are probably higher that an "old label" slabbed book isn't pressed.

I believe it was done much less in that time frame of "old label" years.

you might be right...but back in the late 90's, chris f was regularly pressing books...I believe susan was...I know matt was...

Nothing but pressing, or pressing in conjunction with PLOD-able types of restoration, or to eliminate major pressable defects?

I really find it hard to believe that much "pure" pressing, of the kind that`s common today, was going on in the old days, except to straighten out rolled or warped books. Not the kind of pinpoint and marginal pressing that happens today. There just was no financial incentive back then to incur those kinds of costs to eliminate 0.2 levels of defects when 0.2 levels of defects didn`t really exist. Even if collectors did distinguish grades at those fine increments, the price differential between those kinds of increments just wouldn`t have justified the cost..

now true, the way cgc grades (the deduct for flaws method) has definitely led to a HUGE surgence of pressing... but, my guess is that the number of books being submitted in the "old" days, is probably only slightly less proportional to the # of books that were pressed, relative to upto about 2 years ago (when pressing really took off)

I`ll just have to disagree with this. A lot of old school collectors were surprised by the rapid rise of pressing after CGC, even before the huge upsurge of a couple years ago. It definitely didn`t seem to be just more of the same old-same old.

you could be right...you could be wrong... just no way to know...

:baiting:

I agree that pressing "changed" with the advent of cgc... but keep in mind that in the early days, there really weren't that many high grade silver, etc being submitted for grading... so my point was the % of pressed books then, against the # being submitted, was still a good %...

all in just playing with the numbers

but agreed that virtually no one could argue that the current "reason" for pressing is directly related to cgc grading and the elusive .2 increase (thumbs u

Picking up a book in an older holder and seeing the book shift upwards or downwards, banging against the inner well, is not a good feeling.

I've found that the best thing to do is not shake one's slabbed books. :baiting:

I wish I was the one doing the shaking. Ive cringed on a couple occasions opening up a box and seeing an old label book crooked within the holder. Then as I lift the book out of the box see the book slide within the holder again.

According to those who were there at the time, CGC started by grading harshly and then went to grading loosely and then to somewhere between the two so there is no certainty how an old label book will be graded.

There's always more chance of me wanting to buy an old label book than a new as an OL has a much better chance of having escaped the pressing trend that has become so widespread over the last few years. I have a lot of OL's in my collection and I'm always looking out for them.

I actually think the new label is far better designed but at the end of the day, it's the comic that counts.

+1 (thumbs u