• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old CGC label versus Newer Label...make a difference?

44 posts in this topic

Hey there,

I have the chance to buy some Silver books that have the older CGC label. Is there any concern with buying books with the old label?

I heard that the older labels tended to be harder on page quality...

What are your thoughts on the old label versus the newer ones? Any difference to be concerned about?

Thanks

I've seen a number of times where many people in here have stated that books with the old CGC label might have a good chance of improved page quality if they were resubmitted. I've never resubmitted one myself, so I don't know personally if that's true.

I much prefer the new label to the old label. The grade is much easier to see and you need a magnifying glass to read the barcode number on the old label. Plus, it seems that the wording on the new label is much more extensive than the old label (in many cases anyway).

I will still buy slabs with the old label but if given a choice, I'll take the new label. (thumbs u

from my personal experience,

old label books are harder to resell,

may not be true for everyone

Interesting about that and I can see why some would shy away...here I am questioning the old label also...I'm getting a high grade book so I might get it re-slabbed for $11 any way at some point to preserve it.

I see people making a special point about books being old label since there is some kind of feeling that grading standards have softened over time and that old label books have the potential for an upgrade if resub'd.

According to those who were there at the time, CGC started by grading harshly and then went to grading loosely and then to somewhere between the two so there is no certainty how an old label book will be graded.

There's always more chance of me wanting to buy an old label book than a new as an OL has a much better chance of having escaped the pressing trend that has become so widespread over the last few years. I have a lot of OL's in my collection and I'm always looking out for them.

I actually think the new label is far better designed but at the end of the day, it's the comic that counts.

Interesting about that and I can see why some would shy away...here I am questioning the old label also...I'm getting a high grade book so I might get it re-slabbed for $11 any way at some point to preserve it.

I'd never heard of collectors avoiding OL's before, but there are some who favour them. (shrug)

I'd never heard of collectors avoiding OL's before, but there are some who favour them. (shrug)

I also have never heard of anyone actively avoiding them. I do think the design is terrible...

Old label books have a more likely chance of inner well damage (SCS) . The books seemed to be looser in the well during the early years and I don't believe they used wedges. The new design is much improved and they frequently use wedges to better hold the books in place.

For the record, I don't avoid old labels but I inspect them more carefully.

Old label books have a more likely chance of inner well damage (SCS) . The books seemed to be looser in the well during the early years and I don't believe they used wedges. The new design is much improved and they frequently use wedges to better hold the books in place.
+1, well said.

For the record, I don't avoid old labels but I inspect them more carefully.

Hi Bob. :hi:

Good point. (thumbs u

while it might be a less chance that old labels are pressed, it is not "that" much less.... ask matt nelson, he has been pressing books regularly since before 2000 (cgc's inception)... true, there are a LOT more folks pressing now, but there are a ton of pressed books in old labled holders... and in 5 out of 5 submissins, the PQ has come back the same for me, so that is just a random luck of the draw as well (IMO)

while it might be a less chance that old labels are pressed, it is not "that" much less.... ask matt nelson, he has been pressing books regularly since before 2000 (cgc's inception)... true, there are a LOT more folks pressing now, but there are a ton of pressed books in old labled holders... and in 5 out of 5 submissins, the PQ has come back the same for me, so that is just a random luck of the draw as well (IMO)

I don't doubt that there were certainly people pressing for lots of years, in the last few years, every Tom, and Harry is pressing their books so I certainly think it's worthwhile to those of us who prefer our books unmanipulated.

With all of the people trying to press an extra grade out of their books, there are probably a fairly small percentage of submissions that are unpressed these days.

Ok fess up people! Who on here is pressing books? I want to know! :grin:hm

Is this just going on all over the place? I've never pressed a book before but i'm starting to get curious. I have several VG+ raw books that could benefit to going to the next level.

Ok fess up people! Who on here is pressing books? I want to know! :grin:hm

Is this just going on all over the place? I've never pressed a book before but i'm starting to get curious. I have several VG+ raw books that could benefit to going to the next level.

You don't want to press books,or manipulate to a higher grade.Most books in VG probably are not good candidates anyway. (shrug)