• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conan #1 Dark Horse

26 posts in this topic

Anyone pick this up yet? I think it is pretty good, and I will probably pick up the next issue (especially after seeing the cover on the last page!). The art is very good, and Busiek seems to be crafting something special. What I do not like is the story text that looks like it is typed - yuck!

Anyone else?

My local shop only ordered 5 copies....I managed to snag four, he didn't mind,...he also only ordered two of the escapist books,...I really think that's going to be a hot ticket.....can you say "movie hype"...

I went to two stores and noticed that there are some very bad spine creases, especially on the back cover. I couldn't find one good copy. Did I run into bad luck or do any others notice this problem as well? 893frustrated.gif

I went to two stores and noticed that there are some very bad spine creases, especially on the back cover. I couldn't find one good copy. Did I run into bad luck or do any others notice this problem as well? 893frustrated.gif

was it a book-length fold on the spine?

I just finished reading it and it was hot. Loved the art much more than the story itself. I realize they're setting the table and I'll be reading them for several months to see how it goes. Never read the Marvel or any "regular" books, just poisoned by the Governator movies. Hopefully I'll see some stuff to apply to the D&D campaign I just joined. Might also pick up the advertised compilations. Might go back to LCS and get more, I picked up two today.

My LCS did not order a single copy of The Escapist. It was the only book I was unable to get this week. Pretty bummed. I enjoyed Chabon's back-up story in JSA All-Stars 7 and was really looking forward to seeing more of his stuff.

Also just finished reading it. Already sucked into the story...can't wait for next month. The art is absolutely fantastic. Love the battle scene panels when heads and limbs go flying. The blood effects look neat also. I don't really buy new comics off the rack (more of a silver/bronze age guy), so it's a little tough for me to compare this to the work of other modern artists and writers out there. Having said that, I don't see how it could get much more entertaining than this for pure action and excitement. Another few issues should really give us a feel of how it will hold up to the Thomas/Smith Marvel issues and the spirit of REH's original material itself.

I was a bit annoyed with the narration's typed lettering. I think it was the only thing in the book that didn't look gorgeous so I won't nitpick.

It took the comeback of my favorite character Conan to actually get me to step into a brick and mortar shop on new comic arrival day. Kind of made me feel like a kid again. cloud9.gif

My LCS did not order a single copy of The Escapist. It was the only book I was unable to get this week. Pretty bummed. I enjoyed Chabon's back-up story in JSA All-Stars 7 and was really looking forward to seeing more of his stuff.

So far it kicks butt. I've read the Chaykin, Starlin and Kyle Baker stories and all are great. If the rest of the book is as good- big thumbs up.

I don't know why, but I was under the impression that this new Dark Horse series was just going to be reprints.

Now that I know it's an entirely new series, I'll have to pick it up.

I'm a little uninformed; why is Dark Horse putting this out, and not Marvel? Not that I care who puts it out either way(as long as it's good).

Marvel opted to let the license expire in the late 1990's - they decided they didn't want to put out comics starring someone else's characters. They had already given up the rights to Red Sonja, Solomon Kane and other Howard properties. The Essential Conan Vol. 1 was the last Conan book Marvel published.

Another small company - name escapes me (Horse Press?) put out some REH comics with some pretty decent talent. Not a lot of interest. A Red Sonja TP reprinting Marvel stories was announced but cancelled.

Stan Lee Media obtained the rights to Conan before they went belly-up. There was talk of a new film at Warner Bros.

Dark Horse then obtained the rights to Conan. It's been at least two years in development there and they had a lot of pitches from creators who wanted to work on Conan, but Busiek's vision was the one they went with and Cary Nord was a real stand-out on the artistic front.

There will also be some additional Conan one-shots. For instance, Mark Texiera is working on one that will knock your socks off. I saw some of it at the NY National Con last November. Release date hasn't been announced yet.

While all of this was going on, high quality reprints of the Marvel material were worked on - three volumes have been released so far, I believe that more are planned. The original BWS stuff is great (especially in the later volumes when he evolved into a full blown illustrator) and UDON has done a great job recoloring them.

Kev

Read it yesterday while taking a day off. Loved every bit of it. I'll also chime in and say that the typed text wasnt too nice. All the o's and g's were blacked out with ink.

SIDE NOTE - Reading the last 2 pages of the comic, I noticed that it said REH was actually born in Peaster,Texas.

Im SHOCKED ! Peaster is one of those towns where you drive in and one side of the sign says "Welcome to..." and the other side says " Now Leaving....".

Possible population currently? Maybe 100 people. Tiny tiny tiny town.