• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early Timely Marvel Mystery Books for sale.

41 posts in this topic

Hey, gang. Hope all is good on this Holiday weekend!

A few offerings tonite. I'm regrettably selling some personal books to build some capital otherwise these books would remain locked away for good. These books were hand picked for being the finest examples of eye appeal/grade for the price that I could find at the time.

Shipping is included, payment by check or MO is preferred to Paypal but not mandatory.

Here goes....

Marvel Mystery Comics #4 CGC 9.0 off white (deslabbed) MP restored.

Here is the highest graded copy of this stunning book. One of my favorite issues of the run, this particular copy sports unbelievable eye appeal and terrific page quality. The first cover appearance of the Sub-Mariner and second Nazi Swastika appearance on a cover (all by the incomparable Alex Schomburg) make up the cover of this classic book! I acquired the book outside of it's CGC holder but the CGC label is still with the book. The book was graded CGC 9.0 with off white pages and Moderate Restoration. The restoration includes color touch, pieces added, cover reinforced. In fact, the restoration on this book is so minimal that one of the graders was torn between a Slight and a Moderate designation for the restoration. What is beautiful about this book is that it was a spectacular example to begin with and the restoration seems very unnecessary. Pieces added are two tiny chip fills at the top and bottom of the spine and a little bit of reinforcement and color touch at the top staple. Other than that the book appears newsstand fresh and bright. No doubt a higher mid grade example if it were to be left unrestored. Short of buying the Church copy (which is not going to be for sale) or the Chicago copy (which is not going to be for sale) I can confidently say that you won't find a nicer copy, especially under $100,000.

Asking $10,000

MarvelMysteryComics49_0ow.jpg

MarvelMysteryComics49_0owb.jpg

Marvel Mystery Comics #5 CGC 4.0 off white (deslabbed) Detroit Trolley copy

Here is a gorgeous example of a really tough book. Listed as scarce in the Overstreet Price Guide, this particular copy sports wonderful eye appeal for the grade and terrific page quality. A wonderfully rendered picture of the Human Torch (with a square jaw no less) graces this wonderful cover which the OSPG also notes as a Classic Cover! I have removed the book from the CGC holder. The CGC label is still with the book. The book was graded CGC 4.0 with off white pages in a Universal Blue Label holder. This particular copy comes from the Detroit Trolley collection that was brought to market by Marnin Rosenberg and is completely untouched and original in the state that the book was found. Incredibly tough book to find unrestored. This particular copy has an interesting history in the fact that the Blue CGC label has denotes a very small amount of color touch. This fact was debated greatly because many people believe that the book does not actually have any color touch. More details can be read about the debate in the archives of Marnin Rosenberg's Collectors Assemble website here. In this case I personally do not believe that the addition of color was intended to improve the grade of the book as there are many other areas on the book that would have greatly improved the book's appearance with the addition of color touch. I believe the "color touch" is incidental and accidental and is not color touch at all. In the case of this book I believe (and have been told by a previous owner) that the color touch was counted as a defect that actually brought the grade down and in fact simply scraping it off or removing the color touch would actually increase the grade to a CGC 4.5. I chose not to follow that route and instead was happy to keep the book as it was.

Asking $7500

MarvelMysteryComics54_0ow.jpg

MarvelMysteryComics54_0owb.jpg

Marvel Mystery Comics #7 CGC 4.5 off white

Just another killer cover by Schomburg. Considered by many to be a favorite this book well represents the GA era, possibly better than any other. The damsel in distress, the enemy using technology and force in an attempt to thwart the hero, and the hero bursting onto the scene in spectacular fashion in the nick of time ready to save the damsel. This particular copy had glue on the centerfold which I had removed prior to slabbing the book. Although the pictures show an unslabbed book I merely posted them so that you could see the book. The book is indeed slabbed.

Asking $2500

MarvelMystery7f.jpg

MarvelMystery7b.jpg

Marvel Mystery Comics #9 CGC 5.0 c/ow

Here is a gorgeous example of a really tough and extremely desirable book. Typically a difficult book in any grade, this particular copy sports wonderful eye appeal for the grade because many of the defects that bring the grade down are non-color breaking in nature and difficult to see through the CGC holder. This book is a lock at CGC 5.5 with a pressing and a possibly very weak shot at a possible CGC 6.0. I chose not to go this route. Considered by many to be one of the greatest Timely books of all time, I've even heard some collectors tell me that they prefer this book to Marvel Comics #1. This classic Shomburg cover sports a Torch/Subby battle cover with an interior that includes 22 pages of glorious battle issue inside! The book was graded CGC 5.0 with cream to off white pages in an unrestored Universal Blue Label holder. The book is listed as Scarce in the Overstreet Price Guide. It is also listed as a Classic Cover in the Overstreet Price Guide. When it comes to cool funny books it just doesn't get much better than this!

Asking $25,000

MarvelMysteryComics9CGC5_0.jpg

MarvelMysteryComics9CGC5_0b.jpg

Folks, I believe that's it for now.

Thanks for looking.

(thumbs u

Where's #1 :baiting:

In my thoughts!

:cry:

I can see that MMC#9 selling. Man I love this book, good luck Roy. :wishluck:

Thanks!

It's certainly a killer book. There is the recent sale of the Larson copy which some might remember but this book is clearly superior as the Larson copy went through 3 label changes (and from Purple to Blue label) so that as well as the large amount of foxing on the Larson copy definitely hurt the sale price on that particular book.

I've got several interested parties on the table for this book in the low $20K range but I'd like to hold out for my $25K price which is what I paid for it almost two years ago now. It's got lots of eye appeal and also upgrade potential going for it.

This book is definitely in a different ball park compared to the Larson copy and clearly a superior mid grade copy.