• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tiny staple tear allowed in 9.2??

16 posts in this topic

I have a very nice copy of Batman 237 with nice corners, super color, high original gloss and no spine stress to speak of. There are 2 very small staple tears on the top staple though. I would be scared to sell this at a 9.2 due to Overstreet grading guide not allowing this defect in 9.2 but the book is so nice. Thoughts???

I have a graded example very close to yours. My FF #10 looks like a 9.6 / 9.8 copy except that the top staple is slightly sunken and has tears at the top and bottom, and with that defect, CGC gave it a 9.2. I bought this book from board member "drummy," who had the book resubmitted because he also thought it should be higher than 9.2, but it got the exact same grade upon resubmission. Here are scans...the top staple is more sunken than the scans show, you'd have to see the book from a side view to see the full extent of the tears.

I suspect your book is higher than mine--minimum 9.4, possibly 9.6. Those tears on your book look absolutely tiny and allowable in 9.4 minimum.

ff10.jpgff10back.jpg

I have a graded example very close to yours. My FF #10 looks like a 9.6 / 9.8 copy except that the top staple is slightly sunken and has tears at the top and bottom, and with that defect, CGC gave it a 9.2. I bought this book from board member "drummy," who had the book resubmitted because he also thought it should be higher than 9.2, but it got the exact same grade upon resubmission. Here are scans...the top staple is more sunken than the scans show, you'd have to see the book from a side view to see the full extent of the tears.

I suspect your book is higher than mine--minimum 9.4, possibly 9.6. Those tears on your book look absolutely tiny and allowable in 9.4 minimum.

ff10.jpgff10back.jpg

:takeit:

:grin:

I've seen a Spidey 129 with a staple tear on the top staple get a 9.6, so I don't see why it would stop something from getting a 9.2.

I called for notes on this book becuase I had it pegged at a 9.4 minimum...tiny staple tear on bottom staple...bastards! :frustrated:

How tiny is the tear? I'd estimate the two top staple tears on my 9.2 FF #10 to each be about 1/16".

I called for notes on this book becuase I had it pegged at a 9.4 minimum...tiny staple tear on bottom staple...bastards! :frustrated:

Also remember that the graders' notes do not necessarily convey all of the qualities that relate to the final grade. :grin:

I've seen a Spidey 129 with a staple tear on the top staple get a 9.6, so I don't see why it would stop something from getting a 9.2.

asm 129 is a production problem regarding the top staple tear,so no affect on the grade..its often even "loose" in comparison to normal "tight" stapled books.

Also remember that the graders' notes do not necessarily convey all of the qualities that relate to the final grade. :grin:

Books is 9.4/9.6 quality other than the stupid staple issue...thank you very much... :sumo:

Books is 9.4/9.6 quality other than the stupid staple issue...thank you very much... :sumo:

Just tryin' to ease your obvious pain . . . no need to get huffy :grin: