• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chuck's Cashing Out

232 posts in this topic

Puffed up to the moon? Granted, they are. I think everyone knows that, especially Chuck.

But "mediocre books"? I respectfully disagree, even in the grand scheme of things. Even among Church books. If these are mediocre books then I may as well throw my entire collection in the dumpster. :cry:

besides the RR#1 his other offerings are "B" caliber books at best when you compare them to the full runs of Timely and Detective comics that were included in the collection.

That's not to say they aren't valuable and quality books their just not in the same realm as any of those I just mentioned.

Puffed up to the moon? Granted, they are. I think everyone knows that, especially Chuck.

But "mediocre books"? I respectfully disagree, even in the grand scheme of things. Even among Church books. If these are mediocre books then I may as well throw my entire collection in the dumpster. :cry:

Mediocre when compared to any book that a person would buy a premium with hope of one day recouping their purchase price. I personally love that Spirit #22, but if I won it I would be doing so with the knowledge I would never make my money back. Again, these aren't the best copies of the top books in the hobby. These are the best copies of 2nd, 3rd and 4th tier titles.

I'm just taking issue with the idea that this pricing scheme is directly comparable to the original church sales.

I'm also taking issue with the idea that I'm just not savvy enough to understand Chuck's intentions. I get chuck's intentions :) The prices are still so far out of line that I'm basically compelled to comment. I'm happy to have him maximize his value. I'm just not prepared to let it go by without pointing out the levels we're talking about.

besides the RR#1 his other offerings are "B" caliber books at best when you compare them to the full runs of Timely and Detective comics that were included in the collection.

That's not to say they aren't valuable and quality books their just not in the same realm as any of those I just mentioned.

Without a doubt.

But what if you compare them with the vast quantities of bland westerns, romance, funny animal, teen humor, and strip reprint books that were part of the Church collection? I guess it's all a matter of perspective. There are a TON of Church books that are much less desirable than this bunch.

And no matter what your opinion of Chuck is, many collector's would attach a premium to being able to purchase an Edgar Church book directly from Chuck, knowing that you would be only the third owner, and that the book hasn't been changing hands repeatedly for the past 33 years.

Without a doubt.

But what if you compare them with the vast quantities of bland westerns, romance, funny animal, teen humor, and strip reprint books that were part of the Church collection? I guess it's all a matter of perspective. There are a TON of Church books that are much less desirable than this bunch.

And no matter what your opinion of Chuck is, many collector's would attach a premium to being able to purchase an Edgar Church book directly from Chuck, knowing that you would be only the third owner, and that the book hasn't been changing hands repeatedly for the past 33 years.

I like that last point; the ability to draw a line from you to Edgar Church with only Chuck in between is pretty darn cool! OO-once removed...

I was checking the guide to estimate what he might ask for the Feature Book #26. Guides at $1,500 (9.2). I was thinking maybe he'd sell it for around $6,000. While still deciding if I wanted to go to San Diego and make an offer or have someone do it for me, I saw Bedrocks post. Holy cr*p! Maybe I was off in my estimation but I didn't think I was going to be that far off. Michael Bolton scores!!!

Talked to Chuck this morning. A few things from the conversation...

1) He had the books slabbed earlier this year to authenticate the pedigree status for his heirs.

2) He really has no intention or expectation that they will sell. He merely wanted to present them as an attention grabber for his booth in San Diego. Particularly because he will have a documentary crew filming his show experience.

3) The Red Raven 1 is a 9.0 because of a small bindery tear at the top of the spine.

(As an aside, I have never seen the Church copy but I did hold the other 9.0 before Metro bought it from Chris Foss. Structurally Metro's copy was very clean. But it was very weak in the other eye appeal aspects. Red Raven 1 is one of my absolute favorite books and I passed on the 9.0 in favor of the 8.5(slight - cover cleaned) that I presently own. I have no doubt the Church is a much better book.)

4) Prices - these are Chuck's asking prices. Remember that he has no expectation that they will sell but he will listen to offers.

Red Raven 1 - $500,000

Spirit - he has the complete run. There are a few 9.8s, many 9.6s and a few lower. $500,000 for the run.

$200,000 for the Feature Book.

Thanks for the information (thumbs u .... and the laugh! lol

Without a doubt.

I like that last point; the ability to draw a line from you to Edgar Church with only Chuck in between is pretty darn cool! OO-once removed...

It's cool but I would not be among the "many" that would pay extra.

... many collector's would attach a premium to being able to purchase an Edgar Church book directly from Chuck, knowing that you would be only the third owner, and that the book hasn't been changing hands repeatedly for the past 33 years.

Do you really think so? Personally, I would pay exactly zero more for the book. (shrug)

Look at all the advertising people are giving them here and he didn't have to pay a dime. I agree, he has no intention on selling them.

It's negative advertising in my opinion. I've even less inclined to buy from him than I was before.

I believe the cover is the only original Prince Valiant comic book art Foster ever did.

that image was not drawn for the cover, it's a panel lifted from a Sunday page

concerning Red Raven #1 & FB #26

back in the 60s-70s when the books were in very high demand, they weren't enough copies to go around. They are rare (RR) and scarce (FB), and at the time when they were $200 books, their prices were competitive with AC 1, Det 27, Supe 1 etc

I'm sure Chuck's copy will sell very well to the usual suspects and for a very good price for Chuck

I'm going to agree with GAtor that these books will not sell from Chuck, but instead will go to auction. I'm sure Chuck will have a price 5X the actual value of the books and may well end up not selling a single one. Just MHO.

I believe the cover is the only original Prince Valiant comic book art Foster ever did.

that image was not drawn for the cover, it's a panel lifted from a Sunday page

Thanks for the clarification.

I think more than anything else that's what makes these books so fascinating to me. I'll never be able to afford one - even if it was priced at market value - but it sure would be cool to look down on a book and know very few hands had really ever touched it.

What drives the hatred towards Chuck anyway? I don't delve into GA stuff very often, but even in bronze to modern comics folks at that end of the spectrum get just as fired up about his prices. I get the fact that he prices way above market - but i always seem to feel like folks get angry when they see his books priced high.

that image was not drawn for the cover, it's a panel lifted from a Sunday page.

Are you sure about that? I know you are very knowledgable about these things, but that statement flys in the face of every source I have ever seen regarding Foster and this book. This book's cover has long been considered the only work that Foster did exclusively for comic books. I'm not saying you are wrong, but if this is true I would like to know more as it would be a revelation to Foster fans such as myself. Some of the Tip Top Tarzan covers are blown up Foster panels - is it possible you were thinking of those?

Are you sure about that? I know you are very knowledgable about these things, but that statement flys in the face of every source I have ever seen regarding Foster and this book. This book's cover has long been considered the only work that Foster did exclusively for comic books. I'm not saying you are wrong, but if this is true I would like to know more as it would be a revelation to Foster fans such as myself. Some of the Tip Top Tarzan covers are blown up Foster panels - is it possible you were thinking of those?

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone in thinking that was Foster art made for the comic :)

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone in thinking that was Foster art made for the comic :)

I just finished perusing the Valiant Sundays through 1941 and failed to spot any source for the cover of FB 26. It was an unpleasant task, but only because I wouldn't allow myself the chance to stop and savor the art.

I guess when he said he was bringing a million dollars worth of old books he meant hong kong dollars (shrug)

That's perfect math, actually. lol A little bit of a premium, but within the range of sanity.

This is the same guy that was charging multiples of guide for the Church collection back in the 70s/early 80s and everyone called him insane then too.

The books are worth what? $300K - $350K tops? He's a smart businessman and knows this. I'm guessing he's hoping to get $500 - $600K and is pricing them at 1mil because he can.

I've got you. I see your line of reasoning. I also know chuck's history.

Still, this isn't Action 1-whatever, Detective 1-whatever, Marvel comics 1-whatever. Tis is a lot closer to the -end of the collection, in terms of investment value. Feature Book 26 has been dead for 30 years. It's only graybeards and comic nerds like me that even know it was ever a key, nevertheless the top book in the hobby. 200k is over 100x guide and well over 200x what the lost valley 8.5 sold for ($765)

Indeed.

There was a time...in the long, long ago...when Four Color #16 (Series 1), this book, and Single Series #20 were the most sought after, desired books of all.

Sounds strange now, but it was true nonetheless...

Feature Book #26. At one point, more valuable than Action #1 and the biggest book in the hobby. It's probably worth about the same money it was back then :tonofbricks:

Thinking about it, there are at least 6 individual Church books he could have kept that would be worth more by themselves than that whole box.

I would love to have that Feature Book 26. :cloud9:

Me too! (thumbs u

Talked to Chuck this morning. A few things from the conversation...

1) He had the books slabbed earlier this year to authenticate the pedigree status for his heirs.

2) He really has no intention or expectation that they will sell. He merely wanted to present them as an attention grabber for his booth in San Diego. Particularly because he will have a documentary crew filming his show experience.

3) The Red Raven 1 is a 9.0 because of a small bindery tear at the top of the spine.

(As an aside, I have never seen the Church copy but I did hold the other 9.0 before Metro bought it from Chris Foss. Structurally Metro's copy was very clean. But it was very weak in the other eye appeal aspects. Red Raven 1 is one of my absolute favorite books and I passed on the 9.0 in favor of the 8.5(slight - cover cleaned) that I presently own. I have no doubt the Church is a much better book.)

4) Prices - these are Chuck's asking prices. Remember that he has no expectation that they will sell but he will listen to offers.

Red Raven 1 - $500,000

Spirit - he has the complete run. There are a few 9.8s, many 9.6s and a few lower. $500,000 for the run.

$200,000 for the Feature Book.

Thanks, Richard.

That would indeed be pretty cool.