• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst condition books!

85 posts in this topic

I love books like this.

Not that you were replying to me, but so do I. I think really worn, well-read and obviously well-loved books have a charm all of their own.

Poor condition of any given book tells me there's an interesting history there - that this issue has 'been around' so to speak. I think it's really interesting. Of course, it's a huge thrill to find old copies in great condition for their age, but I think most old comics regardless of their condition have a certain charm.

this is my favorite book in my collection

beat to hell but beautiful to me

hulk1fcr.jpg

Have you considered searching out a really nice condition copy and getting it slabbed? If it's your favourite book then that could be something to think about perhaps. Then you've got the best of both worlds.

hulk1fcr.jpg

Have you considered searching out a really nice condition copy and getting it slabbed? If it's your favourite book then that could be something to think about perhaps. Then you've got the best of both worlds.

I might upgrade to a 2.0, but i really have no desire to get anything higher.

and I don't like slabs, I crack slabs as soon as I buy em

You know, I think I'm probably the same. The idea of slabbing all my comics so they're unreadable definitely doesn't appeal to me (as a fan - I can see why it would to an investor obviously), but say there was a particular issue I really loved then I think I might well be tempted to have a poorer condition copy for reading and enjoying -- and then find a really nice copy to get slabbed.

It would have to be one special book though for me to consider that. Especially for a pre-code fan where you'd end up spending a considerable amount of cash.

This was my worst. I bought it RAW a few years back in G-. Sent it to CGC and came back a 1.5. I sold it a few years back. I'm still shocked it came back a 1.5. I was expecting a .5 to best case a 1.5.

FF115.jpg

I'm not really a superhero fan in the least but I could see myself grabbing up a copy of Fantastic Four #1 if the opportunity presented itself. I doubt I could ever afford a high-grade copy!

I've long considered trying to get into modern-day superhero stuff, but I wouldn't know where to start what with them all being continuing series. I'd find it impossible to get into them if I had to start halfway through a major plotline.

Speaking of modern comics though I am currently enjoying the new Dark Horse 'Creepy' revival. It seems true to the original, and they've even got at least one of the artists from the original Warren line back. I'm pretty excited for their Eerie revival if they decide to go ahead with that.

Crappiest condition in my collection:

jim83.jpg

That's NM compared to this one I used to own... :o

Sold it for $200 bucks on eBay and thought I had made the deal of the century! lol

JOURNEYINTOMYSTERY83P-2.jpg

I'd have given u $200 for that and been a very happy camper (thumbs u

hulk1fcr.jpg

Something to consider on this book is a restoration job...I might be worth your time to check into this... (thumbs u

hulk1fcr.jpg

Something to consider on this book is a restoration job...I might be worth your time to check into this... (thumbs u

I have no desire to restore it.

I'm perfectly happy w/it the way it is, and would only upgrade if the right book came along at the right price

hulk1fcr.jpg

I have no desire to restore it.

I'm perfectly happy w/it the way it is, and would only upgrade if the right book came along at the right price

Not putting this book down...it's a gem. (thumbs u .

I don't know how much money you have tied up into this book...

However...if it's around $1000.00..you could possibly spend another $1000.00 or so on resto...and make this a 7.0 or better copy...(help me if i am wrong..on these costs someone)....resell for about $3000.00 and then purchase a 4.0-4.5 copy...and maybe have $500.00 in your pocket... (shrug)

This is one of those books that is a perfect book for restoration work in my opinion...any one else have thoughts????

What do the rest of you think????? Good for resto work...or not????