• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Long Before...

146 posts in this topic

I love SS books..........BUT, the sig should be placed where it does not take away from the image of the cover. It should be neatly placed. I always ask the artist/writer/creator to sign in a specific area of the cover.

Totally agree. However, that location that "does not take away from the cover" differs from person to person.

Agreed!

But, I am guessing, that most people would not want a sig across the main character, but, instead, placed where it does not "take away" from the main image.

I think the codpiece is an excellent location :thumbsup:

If there needs to be a sig, I prefer it on the inside page as opposed to the cover...but that's just me.

When I was big into Sig Series....I always tried to get my HG books signed on the interior. These were a couple of my faves..... :cloud9:

CGCSSX-MEN140.jpg

CGCSSX-MEN142.jpg

Neat. I have never seen any SS books with interior signatures.

Most post-65 books are common as dirt, even in high grade. Bronze books, like the ones I have in the sales thread and which you may be referring to, :gossip: are really, really common as dirt. I don't get high-grade silver keys or gold books signed, but bronze and mid-grade silver, really, what's the harm? You either like it or you don't, and there are plenty of non-signed copies out there for you if you don't like it. (shrug)

Well, if they're common as dirt, then why do they cost hundreds of dollars? Wait, did you just unearth 10 longboxes of ASM #121-122 from TORPEDO COMICS?

:jokealert:

Seriously though, I didn't intend for this thread to become a pro or con SS thread. I'm more interested about the increasing number of signed high grade keys out there and whether or not this trend will one day lead to the unsigned ones being worth more.

If there needs to be a sig, I prefer it on the inside page as opposed to the cover...but that's just me.

When I was big into Sig Series....I always tried to get my HG books signed on the interior. These were a couple of my faves..... :cloud9:

CGCSSX-MEN140.jpg

CGCSSX-MEN142.jpg

I was pretty much the only person that submitted books for interior signatures. After a couple mix-ups where additional signatures were added to the covers rather than the interior, I applied to become a SS witness so that I could get the books done myself to ensure that it didn't happen again. At the time of my application I had spent $3K+ in Sig Series submissions fees alone.

Unfortunately, Borock & Litch denied my application because they labeled me a "CGC Basher".

Pretty lame considering how heavily I promoted the SS line at the time. I was the one that petitioned Arch to create the SS forum on these boards in the 1st place. :tonofbricks:

I love SS books..........BUT, the sig should be placed where it does not take away from the image of the cover. It should be neatly placed. I always ask the artist/writer/creator to sign in a specific area of the cover.

Totally agree. However, that location that "does not take away from the cover" differs from person to person.

Yep, and that's what makes SS books very personal and specific to the submitter...which imo makes resale very tricky.

However, in the example above...sticking that sig on the title seemed disruptive to me. The other sig was perfectly placed imo.

Yeah. Terry Austin always signed with a clean signature & took the time to find a great placement for his sig. Claremont....not so much. :tonofbricks:

Most post-65 books are common as dirt, even in high grade. Bronze books, like the ones I have in the sales thread and which you may be referring to, :gossip: are really, really common as dirt. I don't get high-grade silver keys or gold books signed, but bronze and mid-grade silver, really, what's the harm? You either like it or you don't, and there are plenty of non-signed copies out there for you if you don't like it. (shrug)

Well, if they're common as dirt, then why do they cost hundreds of dollars? Wait, did you just unearth 10 longboxes of ASM #121-122 from TORPEDO COMICS?

:jokealert:

Seriously though, I didn't intend for this thread to become a pro or con SS thread. I'm more interested about the increasing number of signed high grade keys out there and whether or not this trend will one day lead to the unsigned ones being worth more.

Well there are over 400 copies of 122 on the census 9.2 and better. That's not quite as common as Wolverine 1, but it's in the same neighborhood. They're expensive because demand is still outstripping supply for unsigned copies. Honestly, for bronze keys, there about as common as it gets, I don't know if there is another book with census numbers that high.

But to answer your question, no there will never be a shortage of unsigned copies.

CGCSSX-MEN140.jpg

CGCSSX-MEN142.jpg

I was pretty much the only person that submitted books for interior signatures. After a couple mix-ups where additional signatures were added to the covers rather than the interior, I applied to become a SS witness so that I could get the books done myself to ensure that it didn't happen again. At the time of my application I had spent $3K+ in Sig Series submissions fees alone.

Unfortunately, Borock & Litch denied my application because they labeled me a "CGC Basher".

Pretty lame considering how heavily I promoted the SS line at the time. I was the one that petitioned Arch to create the SS forum on these boards in the 1st place. :tonofbricks:

hm

Do you think the supply of higher grade copies will be used up this way, and if so, do you think the remaining unsigned copies will begin to demand a premium over the signed copies?

I wonder. hm

No the supply will not be used up. The supply is HUGE. Right now demand is high as well, at least for keys.

As it relates to pricing, I think there are some interesting things ahead for the SS market. It is hard to determine how many sig collectors there really are, vs. how many people are getting SS books done for resale. To me, it feels as though we are starting to reach the tipping point where more books are being done for resale than are being done specifically for collectors. Are there a lot of purchases being made for "investment" or buy and flip? I don't know. But it is starting to feel like it.

hm

:baiting:

All you've done is coined the term QP and started the Sig Series forum.

Why don't you do something big, like redesign the holder. I'm surprised they even remember who you are.

:insane:

hm

Why don't you do something big, like redesign the holder. I'm surprised they even remember who you are.

Chris is my second favorite long haired carpenter.

To me, it feels as though we are starting to reach the tipping point where more books are being done for resale than are being done specifically for collectors. Are there a lot of purchases being made for "investment" or buy and flip? I don't know. But it is starting to feel like it.

I would have agreed with you with the old witness program, as it appeared witnesses were having more of their books done for resale based on the number of sales threads they ran on the forum.

Has something changed now with the facilitor vs witness change-over?

And that's not a knock on anyone. Just asking.

...all of the nice copies of vintage books will be 'defaced' and in a CGC SS case? I'm seeing more and more key high grade SA and BA books getting signed and slabbed everyday. I'm not such a fan of signatures. I kind of prefer them on lower grade books if I do get them.

Do you think the supply of higher grade copies will be used up this way, and if so, do you think the remaining unsigned copies will begin to demand a premium over the signed copies?

I wonder. hm

I like SS books, you don't. I like to have some of my favorite covers and keys signed by the artist or writer, you don't.

I collect what I like, not what you like. Maybe I think what you collect is krap and could be thrown on an open flame? See how that works?

Forum rule #1 Collect what YOU like, but don't bash others for collecting what they like. :rulez:

...all of the nice copies of vintage books will be 'defaced' and in a CGC SS case? I'm seeing more and more key high grade SA and BA books getting signed and slabbed everyday. I'm not such a fan of signatures. I kind of prefer them on lower grade books if I do get them.

I wonder. hm

I like SS books, you don't. I like to have some of my favorite covers and keys signed by the artist or writer, you don't.

I collect what I like, not what you like. Maybe I think what you collect is krap and could be thrown on an open flame? See how that works?

Forum rule #1 Collect what YOU like, but don't bash others for collecting what they like. :rulez:

SS is exempted from that rule. It gets universally pilloried all the time.

hm

I honestly don't believe there is a safe way to encapsulate comic books. The old inner well can lead to SCS, and the new inner well can cause tears at the staples. :baiting:

To me, it feels as though we are starting to reach the tipping point where more books are being done for resale than are being done specifically for collectors. Are there a lot of purchases being made for "investment" or buy and flip? I don't know. But it is starting to feel like it.

I would have agreed with you with the old witness program, as it appeared witnesses were having more of their books done for resale based on the number of sales threads they ran on the forum.

Has something changed now with the facilitor vs witness change-over?

And that's not a knock on anyone. Just asking.

Nope, just the increasing exposure and maturation of the market. There are lots of people buying/selling/creating SS books other than those who frequent the boards. And to me it seems like far more direct to retail books.

CGCSSX-MEN140.jpg

CGCSSX-MEN142.jpg

I love your decision to have the inside signed, though the few books I had done I wanted the creator's signature on the cover.

But these two books look super as-is.

(worship)(worship)

I love your decision to have the inside signed, though the few books I had done I wanted the creator's signature on the cover.

(worship)(worship)

Interior sig books have a much smaller market than exterior sigs, however.

(worship)(worship)

Oh, I totally understand.

But my books are meant for long-term retention - not for resale. So it's like you said before. If the majority are having their books signed for resale, then they'll focus on cover signatures.

Me - I like Stan Lee cockroaches. (:

(worship)(worship)

Sure....but those books could be cracked out & resubbed for Blue Labels with a notation.