• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No Edward Norton for The Avengers?

45 posts in this topic

Well this really sucks. I thought Norton was a great Banner.

Edward Norton will not be reprising his role as Dr. Bruce Banner, reports HitFix, who say that Marvel Studios plan to cast an unknown in the part.

The report theorizes that a deal could not be made, despite Edward Norton wanting to join the ensemble cast that will include Robert Downey Jr as Iron Man, Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury, Chris Hemsworth as Thor and Chris Evans as Captain America.

Marvel Studios is planning a May 4, 2012 release for The Avengers.

Norton is one of the best actors in Hollywood :(
I agree. But it's probably what the studio is afraid of, a too controlling attitude after the last Hulk movie, considering what's coming down the road from Marvel Studios. It's why we never saw an A-list director on a 007 film either, "Skaken, but not stirred".

If it's going to be a good movie (plot/character development), it will need just as many non-superhero scenes as computer generated action scenes.

Good acting is rare.

I thought Norton was great in THE INCREDIBLE HULK. Heck, I thought the whole movie was very underrated. It holds up well on repeat viewings. I'll be disappointed if Norton isn't in THE AVENGERS.

Norton is one of the best actors in Hollywood :(
I agree. But it's probably what the studio is afraid of, a too controlling attitude after the last Hulk movie, considering what's coming down the road from Marvel Studios. It's why we never saw an A-list director on a 007 film either, "Skaken, but not stirred".

Yepper

Is this a case of Marvel just not wanting to pay Norton what he's worth? Didn't Marvel try lowballing Downey Jr. and the director also?

Yep, and they lowballed Samuel L Jackson too. Marvel is cheap and Disney is cheaper, so don't expect any name actors/directors to stick around for long.

I love me some Edward Norton but I'm beginning to question his judgement.

1) Blowing it with Salma Hayek.

2) Dropping out of "State of Play" when Brad Pitt left "to do Leaves of Grass," which still hasn't been released--he easily could have done both.

3) Not being willing to take a pay cut for a guaranteed ensemble blockbuster that would pay for his next two vanity projects.

Look at Topher Grace, not near the actor Edward Norton is, who has transitioned to doing blockbusters. His last 3 films are Predators, Spiderman 3, and that ensemble comedy Valentines Day, which cleared $100 million box office easily, despite being a piece of mess.

Norton needs to put his ego in check, drop his fee and deal.

Norton needs to put his ego in check, drop his fee and deal.

Yes, and I'm sure he cares what you think. lol

People do funny book movies for the MONEY - no other reason, and an actor's pay scale is far higher for a stupid HW blockbuster (especially a comic-based one) as they're low-brow schlock written for ADD 12-year olds, so if Marvel/Disney isn't going to pony up the cash, why in the world would he do it?