• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who thinks "essential" paperback series rocks?

18 posts in this topic

Ive just recently been getting into trade paperbacks lately. I was always turned off from series's just as marvel masterworks because of the price and besides, they almost look too good to read. I recently discovered the black and white reprint series Essentials and ordered Amazing spider-man, Uncanny X-men, and hulk and got the first two volumes from all three titles. I love it, its great to build an entire collection of all these great titles and they cost a hell of a lot less than the masterworks series. Ive also been able to get my friends to buy them and get into these titles without going broke. I hope they ultimately release most of the marvel titles in the essentials line and release all of each titles run. Anyone else agree?

Your're right. The Essentials books are the way to go for an affordable reading copy of early issues. Especially when they reprint less common series like TOD, Howard the Duck, and Marvel Team-Up. cloud9.gif

Werwolf by Night would be great to see. Although I haven't seen the Punisher one yet, which was supposed to be released in January. Maybe it's just my LCS. I'd also like to see the next Marvel Team-up volume. A Silver Surfer one would be great also.

I'm probably in the minority, but I really dislike the black and white TPBs. Don't get me wrong, I love color TPBs, but the lack of color in the B&Ws makes the stories hard to follow if the artist isn't using tons of black, like Frank Miller or Klaus Janson. I have purchased a couple of the Essentials TPBs before realizing I didn't care for the B&W, but since then have sought reprinted stories elsewhere, whether in comic or TPB form, so long as they are in color. confused-smiley-013.gif

hi.gif

I love them.

yes I have bought all of them to date but really miss the color too Its a little slower going without the color but I'm still really enjoying them and wish they would put them out a little faster I'd like to see Master of Kung Fu, all the Starlin Warlock/captain Marvel /Thanos/ Man Thing as well as more of the titles they alteady have

I'm not sure, but I guess it must have a significant cost savings. Personally, I'd be willing to pay more for the color. confused-smiley-013.gif

Why are they done in B&W anyways? Does it save them a lot of money in cost?

Brian

Why are they done in B&W anyways? Does it save them a lot of money in cost?

Brian

Yeah. It makes them alot cheaper. Personally, I'd be willing to pay the extra money for color. Although, the Tomb of Dracula looks absolutely amazing in the B&W. cloud9.gif I'd imagine that most of the horror titles would look as good or better in the current B&W format.

There already was an Essential Silver Surfer done. It reprinted 1-18 and the backup story from FF annual # 5, the same material that the Masterworks reprints. It was released some years ago... I still own it because I think that the material looks better in some ways in black and white. Keep in mind issues 1-5 were all double sized issues, so there was still about 24 issues contained in the Essential.

the essentials are nice... some of the reproduction quality is a little spotty for 500 pages and $15 you really can't beat it.

I'm probably in the minority, but I really dislike the black and white TPBs. Don't get me wrong, I love color TPBs, but the lack of color in the B&Ws makes the stories hard to follow if the artist isn't using tons of black, like Frank Miller or Klaus Janson. I have purchased a couple of the Essentials TPBs before realizing I didn't care for the B&W, but since then have sought reprinted stories elsewhere, whether in comic or TPB form, so long as they are in color. confused-smiley-013.gif

I agree, its a matter of taste I suppose. I love color

Plus side of Essentials is they are all collected in 1 place, con is they are B/W.

Even though the stories and series are scattered among the different Titles,

I personally love Marvel Tales, Collector Item Classics, Marvel Masterpieces etc.. to re read all the old stories.

Reader copies of these titles give me a more "pure comic reading satisfaction"

But of course these reprint titles dont cover the newer Marvel Universe, so Essentials are great for those charecters .

But I do own several Essentials,