• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage August Auction

80 posts in this topic

Duck poop. :whatev:

(thumbs u Much better to buy a MC #1 instead!

Quoted for posterity (and my amazement).

:D

I've got a bunch of nice books in this auction. Granted, most are DC war books (keys) and Sgt. Fury 1, but there's also that nice Captain Science #4 9.2 that I picked up off of Filter (Adam). Here's to hoping they all do very well. (thumbs u

Andy

Once again, the auction is loaded with Gary Keller books. Was the whole high end GA market of 2005-2008 just an illusion caused by the purchases of one crazed buyer?

His purchases were just so massive and all pervasive that it`s getting to the point where I don`t think we`re in a GA correction at all. Rather, we`re now just where prices always should have been but for one person`s warping of the time-space continuum.

One thing`s for sure, we`re seeing one of the great redistributions of wealth in the history of comic books. Sellers benefited big time from his purchases, and now buyers are benefiting from his sales.

I just feel bad for the few people who managed to beat him out for books during his buying period because they really had to pay over the odds.

very difficult to say... and I'm no expert.... but I'd say nowhere near 300k and probably not 100k either. Its beautiful but it is a panel page not a splash.... which is what you'd need to get anywhere close to the 300k (even then you wouldn't get there actually). then again its hard to imagine a better panel page. I seem to recall xmen 1 panel pages going around 30k ? but I haven't seen any jim 83 ones before that I can recall and this is a great one, so I would guess maybe double that at 60k? anyone who isn't making this up as they go (like I am) would be welcome to chime in :)

oh, also that JIM 84 splash sold for only 45k IIRC recently. hard to imagine a panel making 100k when that didn't make 50 (shrug) but as this page kind of explains thor's powers for the first time I guess anything is possible. Still I will stick with 60 as my guess and I figure it could go low as 40 or high as 80 but I don't swim in these waters

He simply overpaid for them. And not by a little, but by a lot.

I remember watching some of those auctions at the time and was just scratching my head at the hammer prices. 20K for non key Green Lanterns? 20-30K for non-key Flashes? That's just too much for those titles. And to put a cherry on the sundae, he's selling into a bad economy.

Once again, the auction is loaded with Gary Keller books. Was the whole high end GA market of 2005-2008 just an illusion caused by the purchases of one crazed buyer?

His purchases were just so massive and all pervasive that it`s getting to the point where I don`t think we`re in a GA correction at all. Rather, we`re now just where prices always should have been but for one person`s warping of the time-space continuum.

One thing`s for sure, we`re seeing one of the great redistributions of wealth in the history of comic books. Sellers benefited big time from his purchases, and now buyers are benefiting from his sales.

I just feel bad for the few people who managed to beat him out for books during his buying period because they really had to pay over the odds.

This whole situation is very strange. I wonder who the second person(s) were who were driving these prices up to those levels...he didn't do it all by himself, presumably? I would be very curious to hear Gary Keller's thoughts on N.P. Gresham

tth2- I agree. I think Keller really inflated this segment of the market. I know of one Superman collector that did the very same thing 1-2 yrs ago... unheard of offers were shot my way during that time all because of the whim of one guy. I guess it shows what just one collector can do to turn things upsidedown...The Superman #4 and 6 8.5 $40K+ "sales"at Heritage last year were indications of that.

This whole situation is very strange. I wonder who the second person(s) were who were driving these prices up to those levels...he didn't do it all by himself, presumably? I would be very curious to hear Gary Keller's thoughts on N.P. Gresham

Hmmm.

tth2- I agree. I think Keller really inflated this segment of the market. I know of one Superman collector that did the very same thing 1-2 yrs ago... unheard of offers were shot my way during that time all because of the whim of one guy. I guess it shows what just one collector can do to turn things upsidedown...The Superman #4 and 6 8.5 $40K+ "sales"at Heritage last year were indications of that.

I agree too. (thumbs u

One thing though. Would all of these high grade GA gems have been brought to market in the first place if not for the high prices that they were realizing?? We at least have him to thank for that and if we were patient enough, we got some of these books the second go 'round at prices that might not have brought them out in the first place. Do you think it is any coincidence that several high grade tec 27 and action 1's have surfaced now that they are selling at substantially higher prices than the last time they traded hands 10,15,20+ years ago.

bullet123- very true... I just get uncomfortable when the market is so volatile that one collector can affect the prices so much. As a true collector, I want prices to see a slow growth- or- (big gasp) no growth! I can wait the 10+ yrs it takes for the books to turn up if this happens. If I ever sell... (big if) I guess I'd want the flip side of that coin. I love when I see books going for cheaper than expected even if it means my books have lost a little value. I guess only a collector who is in the "building phase" of his collection likes that to occur...

I'd rather wait for the primo stuff to trickle out in a few years, than dig deep into the pockets to compete now all at once.

The conundrum is would they trickle out at all if not for the price. Granted there are new collections found but when it comes to high grade Golden Age, what was the last collection found? Crippen? and before that? Central Valley? Even Central Valley was found years before and only came to market because the prices had appreciated. If Action 1 was $1,000 in NM in the guide, how many do you think would be for sale? I would dare say none as people would simply hold on to them or pass them on to their heirs as opposed to selling them. If you look at my registry sets, I am one of those still collecting who would love for prices to remain stagnant for years while I build my collection but realistically I know sometimes the only way I will get those rare items from collectors hands is price appreciation. Its a double edged sword, but as you said, for every book you purchase at a higher price, the rest of your collection appreciates along with it. The key is to have some discipline along the way. There have been books I have wanted along the way and ultimately passed on and watched them sell at high prices only to pick them up later on at a lower price. I have also missed out on some great books because I was unwilling to set the next record price and missed the boat (Batman #1 CGC 9.0 for $200K) Oh Well thats all part on this roller coaster adventure we call collecting :cloud9:

Considering the amount of money he spent on books and the quality of them I really find it hard to believe that he didn't have prices run up on him. Where are all these underbidders now?