• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's My Collection Worth?

44 posts in this topic

Hi - I've been reading a lot of posts on how to accurately price comic books. I am a semi-avid collector: I've been collecting since the '70's, but have gone in and out of collecting. And while I'm not nearly as involved or knowledgeable as most of you on these boards, in my mind I have a pretty nice collection: golds and key silvers, mostly valued between $500 & $3500 in the OSPG. I also have a few hundred mid-run 1960's key titles in the F to NM- range. I used to think the OSPG was the be-all and end-all of comic pricing...until I started reading here. Can someone here educate me on how to best determine what I might be able to my comics for if I decided to sell them now? Thanks!

If they're slabbed than GPA will give you market values. If they're nice books from the '60s (especially early 60s), then Overstreet prices are not far off for most comics if you are selling the books directly. These forums are not a bad place to get a feel for how comics of different publishers, genres and eras are selling.

In the end, they are worth what someone is willing to pay.

That say's it all.

(thumbs u

Yes, I get this - but OSPG used to be the basis for how to buy/sell books. So while I appreciate this mantra, I'm sure there's a current basis for establishing what one might get for a certain book in a certain grade...

You can always check eBay and ComicLink to get a ballpark idea of what your key issues are selling for in relation to the OSPG--that'll be a good way to get started for raw issues. Not gospel but again, it's about getting a ballpark.

That say's it all.

(thumbs u

Yes, I get this - but OSPG used to be the basis for how to buy/sell books. So while I appreciate this mantra, I'm sure there's a current basis for establishing what one might get for a certain book in a certain grade...

Actually, there isn't. The market has evolved greatly and rapidly since the glory days of OS. There are so many different ways to sell these days...methods, venues, raw or slabbed, etc...that hard and fast rules no longer apply.

You'll hear people tell you that you can't sell mid-grade Silver for anywhere close to Guide. You'll hear other people tell you that pretty much anything after 1980 will go for pennies on the dollar.

And then you will have other people show examples of why both of those claims are untrue.

In the absence of any true guidelines, 'a book is only worth what somebody is prepared to pay for it' is not a bad fall-back position...if utterly useless in answering your question. :insane:

That say's it all.

(thumbs u

There is, it's called studying the market very close. I collect GA Actions. The OSPG is virtually useless to me as far as determining a price for a particular book. Some issues are more rare than others. Other issues, such as the war covers, and early Superman covers are in big demand.

Buying raw books I look to pay 30-50% below GPA.

Buying raw key/hot books 60-75% the price of GPA.

Selling raw books I will price it 10-25% below GPA value so the buyer has room to make a profit if so desired.

Of course these are just my guidelines.

That say's it all.

(thumbs u

So the question is not what your books will sell for, but what to price them at. That will take a lot of study through the avenues that people have already listed.

And be prepared to fetch less than you originally thought.

That say's it all.

(thumbs u

Actually, there isn't. The market has evolved greatly and rapidly since the glory days of OS. There are so many different ways to sell these days...methods, venues, raw or slabbed, etc...that hard and fast rules no longer apply.

You'll hear people tell you that you can't sell mid-grade Silver for anywhere close to Guide. You'll hear other people tell you that pretty much anything after 1980 will go for pennies on the dollar.

And then you will have other people show examples of why both of those claims are untrue.

In the absence of any true guidelines, 'a book is only worth what somebody is prepared to pay for it' is not a bad fall-back position...if utterly useless in answering your question. :insane:

Dang Nick, you English sure do use your mouth in a purty way.

That say's it all.

(thumbs u

That's what I'd like to be able to tell Kelly. :whistle:

That say's it all.

(thumbs u

Matthew Kelly?

That say's it all.

(thumbs u

Matthew Kelly?

Well, only if you're done with him. :/

For Most books I buy at prices that allow me to sell the books higher and leave some profit for the next person. If it's a book for my permanent collection, I try to stick at gpa when slabbed, but with GA price data is slim, so you have to just buy what you like and hold.

Overstreet is a data point, gpa, comiclink too. Board sales and eBay give a daily heads up.

But what really matters is knowing your market like comicdonna with Actions.

Good luck

That say's it all.

(thumbs u

Matthew Kelly?

Well, only if you're done with him. :/

I couldn't touch him, I never thought I'd find a hairier man than me. I was too put out to get 'friendly'.