• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you want eBay to do differently?

195 posts in this topic

Reinstate users who were booted nearly a decade ago because they refused to let themselves be scammed by things that are NOW AGAINST EBAY'S RULES....

Like, for example, S&H profiteering.

2001. Someone wins 9 auctions for 9 different single comic books, between $1-$3 each. S&H is $5 in the listing. Seller sends an invoice demanding $45 for "S&H." They say they "don't combine S&H" (but, of course, that's not in the listing.)

It doesn't cost $45 to send 9 comic books in one package NOW, much less in 2001.

Seller says "ok, then I'll file a non-paying bidder."

Buyer says "fine, have at it."

After bidder, who has been on eBay THREE YEARS at this point, gets THREE such reports from THREE different sellers, THEY ARE NARU'D.

REGARDLESS of how many THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of auctions they have bid on, and the HUNDREDS and THOUSANDS they have won.

No, all NPB bidders were treated with the same iron fist. Thrill bidders who DESERVED to be booted were treated exactly the same way as good MONEY MAKING bidders who refused to be scammed.

And do you think there was a way to explain this to anyone at eBay in 2001...?

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Those things are against eBay policy NOW, but GOOD buyers AND GOOD sellers were NARU'd because they wouldn't let themselves be taken advantage of.

FIX THAT.

stop yelling, lol...you are hurting my ears;)

;)

Sorry. You know, as well as anyone, that these are old, old, old complaints. They weren't fixed in 2001, and they're not fixed now.

eBay was such a great place in 1998...1999...2000 even...

Then it started to get worse..and worse...and worse...

:(

Stop having the DSRs so weighted and slanted, they end up on a dysfunctional and useless loop. For example: eBay says "4" is "good." Yet, by all rational accounts, four is BAD. So sellers beg buyers to PLEASE not leave anything but 5s, and what is the end result? The entire DSR system (by which individuals are judged) is shoved more and more to the ultimate goal of 5s across the board. Have you seen the "eBay 3 month rating"? It's now been removed, but the numbers were staggering...4.77 for "item as described" site-wide? That's a staggering 95.4% customer satisfaction rating! Other companies would KILL for such numbers, but because eBay so totally and thoroughly fails to understand basic human nature, and constantly feels the need to "tinker" with the system, these things happen all the time...and then everyone is forced to live up to this impossible standard.

And how about the "S&H charges" DSR? It's useless! I offer FREE shipping on almost everything, and AT COST shipping on everything else, and I have a 12 month 4.89 rating! FREE S&H on almost everything, and I STILL can't manage a 5.0?

:shrug:

4. Best Match is junk always has been and is tilted to large sellers in my opinion. I liked Newest Listed and Ending Soonest were the only ones I have ever used. Why mess with a good thing just plain list them as they come on the server.

I agree to that, completely pointless. Sometimes I forget to change it to item ending soonest and miss out on good stuff because completely unrelated stuff has filled the first 5 pages or so of my search. I only ever use ending soonest unless I'm looking for something big like vehicles and then I use location. I can see reasons for many of the search and filter options, but not this one. And it's the default? ???

Hey everyone...I'm a very long time comic book collector first and foremost, and an eBay employee second.

Here's the thing - we'd love to make some changes to the category, especially within sub-categories like Comic Books...I'd love to get all of the comic book enthusiasts involved, so I'd love to use this new post to throw out some (hopefully great) ideas to get your input.

Couple things off the bat:

1. Who are the primary comic book sites that are getting a big chunk of your $$$?

Comiclink?

Pedigree Comics?

eBay?

Others?

2. Why are the above sites the main ones you visit and spend your money on?

3. In general, How interested would you be if eBay brought back Bidder Id's so you can track who's bidding on comics (or other Collectibles) across the site?

4. How interested would you be in searching for comics on eBay (or anything within Collectibles) by # of bids, rather than or in addition to Best Match, Time Ending Soonest, etc.?

Those are good enough for now. Lots more questions and thoughts that I'd love to throw out to the community...but after we work on the above :)

Thx!!

Jeffles

Assuming you actually are from ebay and this is not just whizzing into the wind:

1) Ebay, Comiclink, and Heritage.

2) It's all about selection of books.

3) Transparency is always a good thing.

4) What everyone else has pointed out.

But these four things are all pretty much irrelevant.

If you really want to do something good, let buyers block sellers so that their stuff doesn't even show up in their searches (especially important when they change their names as bad sellers often do).

Not to mention all the other decent ideas in the thread already.

If this guy really is an eBay employee, chances are he's a drone with no authority, like the thousands of other drones who work there.

And that's if he's even an employee.

I'll be REALLLLY surprised if he replies to this thread.

;)

Get rid of the pathetic £2.75 limit on shipping. It costs more than that to ship one slab if you factor in Special Delivery to cover the insurance on a high priced book.

It also costs more than that to ship, say, a set of 11 books (again, especially if you want to include insurance and tracking). Of course I can get around this by using the 'courier' option, but then of course my listing only goes up on eBay UK.

Put page views back into items that have a BIN and Best Offer. BINs have page views so why does it not work when you throw a best offer in there? I still want to see how many people are (or aren't) looking at my listings.

And, and this one may be ever so slightly radical, get the comics dedicated guys (if there are such things at eBay), to constantly look at listings that are way overpriced. There are plenty of them that have sat there for over a year, so if they do sit for a very long time, and are obiously way overpriced (compared to GPA, OSPG etc), take 'em down!

Stop with the automated "your shipping and handling fees appear high in relation to other sellers" BS. I'm shipping SLABS, you automated pile of dog feces! They COST $10-$12 to ship via Priority Mail to most areas in the country.

The "other items in comparison" AREN'T FREAKIN' SLABS, you automated piece of pig vomit! I don't need YOU, eBay, to lecture ME about how much to charge for S&H. ONCE is enough. If I say "ok, yes dear, I know, now go away" then GO THE EFF AWAY. Then, if someone at eBay STILL feels my S&H charges are "too high" (cause, you know, eBay wants us to INCLUDE FREE shipping in all our listings ANYWAYS, so they can take a percentage of THAT part as well), then you can discuss it with me IN PERSON.

Stop with the automated "your shipping and handling fees appear high in relation to other sellers" BS. I'm shipping SLABS, you automated pile of dog feces! They COST $10-$12 to ship via Priority Mail to most areas in the country.

The "other items in comparison" AREN'T FREAKIN' SLABS, you automated piece of pig vomit! I don't need YOU, eBay, to lecture ME about how much to charge for S&H. ONCE is enough. If I say "ok, yes dear, I know, now go away" then GO THE EFF AWAY. Then, if someone at eBay STILL feels my S&H charges are "too high" (cause, you know, eBay wants us to INCLUDE FREE shipping in all our listings ANYWAYS, so they can take a percentage of THAT part as well), then you can discuss it with me IN PERSON.

Isn't this what John Cleese said when he was told they wanted a simple block of flats?

:roflmao: Oh, that made my morning!!

I stopped searching on ebay for comics because it is too difficult since ebay lumped everything related under that category. I don't care about toys, posters, figurines or any other junky category that was pulled under comics. I like to do a blanket search sometimes and now don't bother as the result set is too big and has too much unwanted stuff.

On top of all the other great suggestions, the other thing that bothers me is the way ebay attempts to control the shipping cost. Certain categories ebay has a max shipping cost. I sell in lots and when listing there should be a lot option or something that would allow the seller to just enter a cost. Plus the calculator does not include delivery confirmation cost which makes me have to lie about the wieght just to get around that fact. It is quite frustrating and ebay's solution to controlling shipping cost doesn't work IMO.

If this guy really is an eBay employee, chances are he's a drone with no authority, like the thousands of other drones who work there.

That's why I stopped replying, as you'd have the same chance of getting things changed at EBay if you wrote your complaints and then tossed them out the window on a paper airplane, as posting them in here.

That's why I stopped replying, as you'd have the same chance of getting things changed at EBay if you wrote your complaints and then tossed them out the window on a paper airplane, as posting them in here.

+1

;)

Yeah no changes will be coming out this thread. As long as JD is in charge, he will continue on his bone headed vision of turning Ebay into an Amazon clone. His relentless strategy to remove all the small time sellers is working wondrously to the point where profits took a nosedive according to their last quarterly reports. Trying to get sellers back is definitely not on JD's agenda so I am not sure where the OP is trying to get with this thread. (shrug)

Bottom line is if you want to fix Ebay, you need to start from the top. The most crucial step is to remove JD and put someone in place that has the vision to restore Ebay back to its former glory.

;)

Yeah no changes will be coming out this thread. As long as JD is in charge, he will continue on his bone headed vision of turning Ebay into an Amazon clone. His relentless strategy to remove all the small time sellers is working wondrously to the point where profits took a nosedive according to their last quarterly reports. Trying to get sellers back is definitely not on JD's agenda so I am not sure where the OP is trying to get with this thread. (shrug)

You can`t really blame them, Amazon is the best place on the internet to buy stuff. example my wife wanted to win a WII game for our son on a Ebay auction this week, she watched that auction for seven days only to lose out for a few bucks, I told her to go on Amazon and sure enought there was the exact game for a few dollars less and she bought it. Why bid and and wait seven days for an item you might win when you can buy the same item on Amazon immediately? That is why Ebay had to change,Amazon overtook Ebay as the number one place to sell dvds,video games and books on the internet. 2c