• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you want eBay to do differently?

195 posts in this topic

Hey everyone...I'm a very long time comic book collector first and foremost, and an eBay employee second.

Here's the thing - we'd love to make some changes to the category, especially within sub-categories like Comic Books...I'd love to get all of the comic book enthusiasts involved, so I'd love to use this new post to throw out some (hopefully great) ideas to get your input.

Couple things off the bat:

1. Who are the primary comic book sites that are getting a big chunk of your $$$?

Comiclink?

Pedigree Comics?

eBay?

Others?

2. Why are the above sites the main ones you visit and spend your money on?

3. In general, How interested would you be if eBay brought back Bidder Id's so you can track who's bidding on comics (or other Collectibles) across the site?

4. How interested would you be in searching for comics on eBay (or anything within Collectibles) by # of bids, rather than or in addition to Best Match, Time Ending Soonest, etc.?

Those are good enough for now. Lots more questions and thoughts that I'd love to throw out to the community...but after we work on the above :)

Thx!!

Jeffles

1. Lower final value fees and PayPal fees. Excessive fees is the most frequent complaint about eBay, and why everyone refers to them as "feebay".

2. Bringing back bidder IDs is a GREAT idea! While auctions are active and after they've ended!

3. Allow sellers to accept checks and money orders and state such in their auctions.

4. Eliminate keyword spamming such as "CGC" in the title when the books aren't actually CGC graded.

5. I personally have no interest in sorting auctions by number of bids received.

2. Bringing back bidder IDs is a GREAT idea! While auctions are active and after they've ended!

This is THE biggest reason I no longer buy on eBay - it's shill-bidder city and I am not going to participate in this nonsense.

3. Allow sellers to accept checks and money orders and state such in their auctions.

I still do this by stating that others forms of payment are accepted in my auction listing. I had a buyer pay with a money order in the last batch of items I sold.

Allowing sellers to leave negative feedback, In fact, maybe a more thorough buyer feedback system in general. A point scale like seller feedback has. Maybe they EVENTUALLY paid up after three or four weeks of hassle? I can grade my sellers speed shipping an item, but not my buyers speed paying for an item.

Better protection from freaky buyers that threaten to neg when you ask them politely to pay up after weeks of waiting.

Make the adults section easier to navigate and search. If I want to search for a Crumb comic or something I have to search both areas, and I still don't know how to get into the adult area easily. Also, I have to verify my age every time. I think being on the same account once is enough and after that having the adult comics pop up in my searches would be nifty.

I still do most of my comic purchases either on this board or through eBay. I don't collect slabs so those auction houses have little that I want.

EDIT: two more.

Make it easier to block bidders. One click from the auction page or the bidders profile page. Also, make blocked profiles invisible on the sale side too. If I don't trust a buyer, I don't want him to be my seller either and I'm terrible at remembering names, especially when those con artist crooks change their names. So making it so I can use an ignore feature on other peoples sales would protect me from scammers a little better I think.

1. Lower final value fees and PayPal fees. Excessive fees is the most frequent complaint about eBay, and why everyone refers to them as "feebay".

4. Eliminate keyword spamming such as "CGC" in the title when the books aren't actually CGC graded.

5. I personally have no interest in sorting auctions by number of bids received.

All of this (thumbs u

And you can also stop with the stupidity of not allowing sellers to leave negative feedback. Seller are now being held to ransom, which is a 180 degree turn on what the situation was. Allow both parties to leave whatever feedback they want, but manage the process better so that retaliatory feedback is uncovered and wiped out.

Oh, and whilst you're at it, you might want to actually take seriously the obvious fraud being perpetrated day in, day out, on your site. I know that if you actually did something about it, you'd earn less money, but since when has ethics had a monetary value?

I used to love eBay, both as buyer and seller, and completed close to 6,000 transactions...

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=gwentleaf&ftab=AllFeedback

Under the present terms of operating, I'd rather force sharp sticks down the eye of my tool than use eBay. (thumbs u

Allowing sellers to leave negative feedback, In fact, maybe a more thorough buyer feedback system in general. A point scale like seller feedback has. Maybe they EVENTUALLY paid up after three or four weeks of hassle? I can grade my sellers speed shipping an item, but not my buyers speed paying for an item.

Better protection from freaky buyers that threaten to neg when you ask them politely to pay up after weeks of waiting.

When sellers were allowed to leave negative feedback, there was no way for you as a buyer to leave a negative (or a neutral) and not get one in return. Didn't matter if the seller sent you an empty box filled with dog and you negged him for it - you'd get an automatic retalitory neg right back. I'm not saying the new system is perfect - but as a buyer it's much better than it was before.

I'd still love to see it changed so if a buyer hasn't paid they can't leave feedback at all, though - it makes zero sense to me that that's possible right now.

You know, after thinking about possible improvements something occurred to me:

EBay isn't even on my radar and has become mostly inconsequential in the greater scheme of things.

After pulling so many boners, like getting rid of buyer feedback, allowing sellers to be openly scammed and threatened by Teflon-Don buyers, and best of all, hiding buyer IDs from view, the company simply cannot regain the position it once had.

For example, I recently upgraded my PC and when I restored my bookmarks I loaded my old "Top Sellers" list - over 90% were no longer active sellers and most had left around the same time, right when the BS changes went through.

That spoke volumes to me.

All of this (thumbs u

And you can also stop with the stupidity of not allowing sellers to leave negative feedback. Seller are now being held to ransom, which is a 180 degree turn on what the situation was. Allow both parties to leave whatever feedback they want, but manage the process better so that retaliatory feedback is uncovered and wiped out.

Oh, and whilst you're at it, you might want to actually take seriously the obvious fraud being perpetrated day in, day out, on your site. I know that if you actually did something about it, you'd earn less money, but since when has ethics had a monetary value?

I used to love eBay, both as buyer and seller, and completed close to 6,000 transactions...

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=gwentleaf&ftab=AllFeedback

Under the present terms of operating, I'd rather force sharp sticks down the eye of my tool than use eBay. (thumbs u

+1 on 99.9% of this post. :thumbsup:

One eBay account per IP address would seriously cut back on shilling and also allow scammers to be permanently removed more easily. I don't see the point of NARUing a bad eBayer if they have 5 more accounts and can make 5 more the next day.

One eBay account per IP address would seriously cut back on shilling and also allow scammers to be permanently removed more easily. I don't see the point of NARUing a bad eBayer if they have 5 more accounts and can make 5 more the next day.

IP addresses can easily be hidden.

Ebay is so full of scammers its sad.You have a seller sell 8 auctions of items they dont have,get paid throught paypal,become NARU ed and back on your site in 3 months.Hes doing the same old selling fake copies of eerie 1 and books he may or may not have.

I sell sports singles on your site.I charge 3.26 for shipping,and DC.Included are a screwdown(1.25) a 200 ct box(.50) peanuts tape and my time.

Oh shipping costs 3.00.

My rating for shipping cost is 4.74.Give me a break.

I could go on and on.Feel free to PM me if you want some more.

One thing I do like about eBay, often when I offer something in the Forum Marketplace and it doesn't sell, I list it on eBay and it sells for way more than I was asking for it here.

Sure, but EBay also offers a much higher "whacko rate" whereby you'll be subjected to such benefits as Paypal chargebacks, feedback extortion and non-received returns (i.e. never sent).

If you ever run into one of those piece of works who know the Paypal ins and outs, it can totally wipe out any profit you made.