• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Panelology

103 posts in this topic

I am one who actually reads and gets alot of enjoyment out of his comics. And sometimes a "panel" will strike me as funny........or strange ......or odd. LIke this Bugs panel from Looney Tunes #15. It just seemed to me that Bugs was flipping the bird, even though he only has 4 digits. It made me laugh.....

Bugsflippinthebirdcopy.jpg

Reading tonight I came across this Panel from Tip Top #70. Hans and Fritz have a hilarious way of speaking......but this is so close to a term people use today.....it just cracked me up......

hansandfritzeffincopy.jpg

That's interesting about the Tip Top panel.

In the last few years a lot of people have been using Frenemy so I thought it was recently popular. Imagine my surprise when I read it in a Betty and Veronica from the 50s. (It turns out the term was first used much earlier than that.)

I read through my comics very slowly and I do like to absorb each panel, the progression of movement through panels, the way a page is set up like a scene, and so fourth. I used to be pretty good at drawing pinup style. Figures and vehicles, not so much at random props, odd angled perspective, foliage and bottles, so fourth. I also couldn't come up with an interesting way to present a story in panel form. It was just a bunch of mini pinups with no background. You know how people criticize Liefeld for cutting off all his characters at the feet? All mine had feet. Every single panel was a full figure lol So yeah I do get a kick out of seeing well done panels and pages (thumbs u

I also love studying how an artist makes each character look different beyond different colored spandex and a different haircut (for the artists that bother doing so). And I appreciate when an artist can have a cast of unique characters and still show family resemblance.

"Frenemy" ?? Like friend and enemy mixed ??

I just saw a commercial on the TV for some new show called "Its effin Science"

The word will probably be in the dictionary in a few years

I love these.

Last night I read Lorna # 13, the second Code issue. In the first story, there was a lot of editing since it was probably drawn pre-Code and published post-Code so all of the knives had to be erased so that when the true Lorna cuts the vine of the fake Lorna, it does look a little goofy with the knife missing from the panel. Note also that there's probably another knife missing from fake Lorna's right hand -

101364.jpg.8424cb0164a988eda8732266d2c07817.jpg

Whats that hairy thing on the front of Elsies neck ?? hm

Lornanoknife.jpg

Your explanation of this panel makes a ton of sense Scrooge. I didn't know that knives were against the Comics Code.

I'm sure this has been seen by alot of people before. Its from Conan #8 by Barry Windsor Smith. On closer inspection, we see the secret message of a bored comic book artist.....

conan8panel2.jpg

conan8panel2coinmessage.jpg

Maybe not what you're looking for ... but, here's one half-page splash from a story I read tonight from Rugged Action # 3.

Aside the fact that I find the depiction of El Tigre terrific in a terrifying and evil manner with great composition / inking / coloring for that time period (circa 1955), the splash is a great mis-direction for the story as the really dangerous beasts of the story end up being wild boars, not El Tigre who is himself afraid of the boars.

Art is probably by Harry Anderson -

101443.jpg.a9e9ed2f1c7769f31a618086ef4f1e59.jpg

Yesterday I also finished Fantagraphics collection of Tardi's It was the war of the trenches, a bleak indictment against the sheer folly, lunacy and cruelty of war, in one of its most egregiously violent example where the value of a human (or animal) life was disregarded.

This panel below struck me most with its casual acceptance of destruction. The stats given in the book are horrific: 35 countries accounting for 10,000,000 dead. In France, that's 2,300 acres of cemetaries. It's also 2,907 villages, 1,202,000 acres of forest, 4,670,00 acres of arable earth devastated. 794,040 houses, 9,332 factories, 58,967 kilometers of roads, 8,333 pieces of artwork resulting in 71,000,000 cubic meters of trash. You need 330,000,000 cubic meters to fill up the 780 km of trenches. It's also 3,595,000 wounded, 56,000 amputees and 65,000 maimed.

It's not a book I could read in one sitting. It took me the better part of a week to finish ...

101444.jpg.701f079d0a55e4879005182fb44e39f2.jpg

Tardi worked on this series of vignettes for an extended period of time ranging from 1982 to 1993. I believe this sequence is from the early '90's.

He recently followed up this album with a new set of two, as of yet untranslated in the U.S.