• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading ?

27 posts in this topic

Hey everybody. I'm new to the boards and have a general question about grading.

Basically, how do you get your comics graded?

Thanks for the help and look forward to learning from this forum.

doh!

doh!

doh!doh!

DRX

Welcome to the boards.

You might want to put up a few of your books in the grading forum and get some feedback from boardies

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=50&PHPSESSID=

I've actually got a question about grading someone might be able to help me with - In looking at the Classics, Inc. page on their pressing service, they post a bunch of examples of different grades. Some of those pics, especially the 9.0 pics, look pretty screwed up. The 9.0 lower right hand corner pic, for example, has massive color loss. I can't really imagine that being on anything near that high.

What gives? Is he just mistaken, or am I misunderstanding?

link -> http://www.classicsincorporated.com/services_pressing.htm

Welcome to the boards.

You might want to put up a few of your books in the grading forum and get some feedback from boardies

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=50&PHPSESSID=

Thanks for the help.

I have not bought a comic since I was about 12 years old and just got back into collected and organizing everything that I have.

So I am sure that I will be asking a lot of dumb questions so just bear with me please.

Welcome to the boards.

Thanks for the help.

I have not bought a comic since I was about 12 years old and just got back into collected and organizing everything that I have.

So I am sure that I will be asking a lot of dumb questions so just bear with me please.

We've all done it. Just take the flak and roll with it, and WTTB (thumbs u

I've actually got a question about grading someone might be able to help me with - In looking at the Classics, Inc. page on their pressing service, they post a bunch of examples of different grades. Some of those pics, especially the 9.0 pics, look pretty screwed up. The 9.0 lower right hand corner pic, for example, has massive color loss. I can't really imagine that being on anything near that high.

I agree. The 9.0 exemplar has a multitude of moderate spine creases and quite a bit of color loss on the corners. The "9.0" looks more like a 6.5 to me.

(shrug)

I think you need to look at each example individually and not cumulative...so his example for a 9.0 with the wear on the top spine is not the same one that have the worn out bottom right corner. If a book with the same top corner flaw, same spine flaw and corner wear then there is no way it will be a 9.0 but having one of those flaw should be ok...or even 2 of those flaws..can be a 9.0

that is my interpretation of the examples...which is new but I haven't been to Matt's website in sometimes. I think it is a good idea to show those examples.

I think you need to look at each example individually and not cumulative...so his example for a 9.0 with the wear on the top spine is not the same one that have the worn out bottom right corner. If a book with the same top corner flaw, same spine flaw and corner wear then there is no way it will be a 9.0 but having one of those flaw should be ok...or even 2 of those flaws..can be a 9.0

that is my interpretation of the examples...which is new but I haven't been to Matt's website in sometimes. I think it is a good idea to show those examples.

I understand, but just the spine image alone would fall well below 9.0 -- even if the rest of the book was flawless.

I understand, but just the spine image alone would fall well below 9.0 -- even if the rest of the book was flawless.

I agree, the 9.0 examples, especially the spine is not a good example but I think the rest of the other examples are decent.

I was kind of thinking it might be a non-cumulative thing, but I wasn't sure. Thanks a lot for that.

Apparently, I really suck at grading though, reference pictures or not - a bunch of stuff I sent to an online dealer just got checked in, and things that looked to me (from looking at the "Please grade my...'s" and pics of slabbed books) like solid NM's were getting called 7.5's and 8.5's.

I was kind of thinking it might be a non-cumulative thing, but I wasn't sure. Thanks a lot for that.

Apparently, I really suck at grading though, reference pictures or not - a bunch of stuff I sent to an online dealer just got checked in, and things that looked to me (from looking at the "Please grade my...'s" and pics of slabbed books) like solid NM's were getting called 7.5's and 8.5's.

was it mycomicshop.com?

You may want to read this thread if it was..they will buy your "7.5's" and sell them as the 9.4's you think you had...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4049007#Post4049007

was it mycomicshop.com?

You may want to read this thread if it was..they will buy your "7.5's" and sell them as the 9.4's you think you had...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4049007#Post4049007

Or possibly Chuckles?

was it mycomicshop.com?

Or possibly Chuckles?

yea..that's what i was thinking also..."Milehigh"?

Same song and dance..don't get scammed.

@krypto -

Well, ...I didn't think I was off by that much. I already confirmed it though, unfortunately. Luckily, it was mostly just my Deadpools (minus the Encylopedia Deadpoolica, which CGC has had for like two months) and not any of my more valuable stuff - there was one ASM 129, but I pretty much agreed with their grade on it, due to massive ink stains and a small tear. I'd have liked a 7.5, but thought the 7.0 fair, especially considering that's what my LCS guy called it when I asked him.

Any idea if there are more reliable (grade-wise) dealers out there? I've got some other raw books I'm looking to send off as well, and don't really want to repeat that experience. I do think they are great for slabbed books though - I asked Buddy about them and he said they often offer extra for them, on top of their already good offer prices. Thanks for the link.

I've actually got one book on consignment with them, and that seems to be a pretty awesome service. They called me about it and the guy on the phone seemed really nice and honest, and Buddy has responded to several pedantic little questions I've had about things in a timely and helpful fashion.

As for Milehigh - no way will I be selling to them - the prices they offer are minuscule.

@rawhide - sorry for the theft - having multiple threads with practically the same title is a big no-no on many forums. Warren Ellis, for example, kills people who do so on Whitechapel. He kills them through the internet, then feeds them to a particularly nasty breed of eels he keeps...

@krypto -

@rawhide - sorry for the theft - having multiple threads with practically the same title is a big no-no on many forums. Warren Ellis, for example, kills people who do so on Whitechapel. He kills them through the internet, then feeds them to a particularly nasty breed of eels he keeps...

No problem. Your request for info was much for informative than mine.

I'm here to learn all I can.