• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Float Frames

21 posts in this topic

Greetings...

I am in the process of taking inventory on a bunch of silver age comics that I put in storage quite a bit of time ago.

There are many slab worthy contenders that I will be sending in at some point. However there will be some as well which I will not be sending in. There are also a few books that are very sentimental that I would like to put on "display."

This past holiday season, I received a couple of comic book floating frames. The concept and look seems really cool. However unlike a CGC slab, I am having difficulty understanding how the comic book is going to live inside this floating frame. It seems to be a very tight pancake like fit at best. See attached picture.

Anyone use these or opinions? Thanks

101492.jpg.d7dd8044950d2256eac4fd52bf2db5fb.jpg

My other concern with this is whether or not the glass has UV/UVA protection. Otherwise, you might see a much lighter color on the cover when you switch out one comic for the next (unless it's hung in a room w/o windows).

Target online had some good looking ones but the reviews were poor. They were not packaged right and would arrive broken according to customer review, so I didn't buy any.

That frame looks very similar. Astonishing they would ship out that kind of package in the manner they did. Its understandable why you were put off on purchasing.

Product Is Great -- Shipping is Terrible

Reviewer: Lou Shopper See all my reviews

I recently purchased eight picture frames from Target.com. When they were shipped, the frames were placed in an oversized box with absolutely no packing materials. When I received the box, five of the eight frames were destroyed. I returned the broken frames to my local Target store, and called the ... Read Complete Review

I recently purchased eight picture frames from Target.com. When they were shipped, the frames were placed in an oversized box with absolutely no packing materials. When I received the box, five of the eight frames were destroyed. I returned the broken frames to my local Target store, and called their 800-number for a shipping reimbursement and to file a complaint.

After receiving my credit, I decided to place a second order to replace the five frames that were broken. This time the frames were packed slightly better, however they were still packed poorly. Two of the five frames were broken when they arrived.

The frames look great, however it is a nightmare trying to get them delivered in one piece. I never thought that Target.com would ship glass picture frames with little or no packing materials.

My other concern with this is whether or not the glass has UV/UVA protection. Otherwise, you might see a much lighter color on the cover when you switch out one comic for the next (unless it's hung in a room w/o windows).

Good point. I will take a closer look at the sticker specifications on the label tonight.

Are Frame It Again Sam's CGC frames UV protected?

There's no glass in Frame it Again Sam's CGC frames ...

Then I'd walk away unless it's in a windowless room. 2c

Afaik, the glass you find in cheap pictures frames offers even less UV protection than the Barex plastic used in a CGC slab.

If the comic is suspended between two sheets of glass without any support at the bottom of the book, given enough time gravity will move the book and pop the staples through the cover. No matter how tight the glass is when it's originally framed.

I guarantee it. :gossip:

But what about one sheet of glass and foam backing that kind of forms around the comic?

Anything that is foamy is probably not archival. You'll probably not pop a staple, but you'll acidify the entire book.

Are Frame It Again Sam's CGC frames UV protected?

There's no glass in Frame it Again Sam's CGC frames ...

Then I'd walk away unless it's in a windowless room. 2c

Exactly what I'm doing. A UK dealer used to sell UV protected CGC frames but they've disappeared from his site. Anybody else know where you can get UV protected CGC frames?

All this this talk about cosmic rays has me :ohnoez: about my upcoming framing project

Did some googling and came up with

MIROGARD Protect® provides extra protection against the harmful effects of UV radiation by blocking out 99% of the UV rays

But can't find any prices anywhere

Also 3M makes some uv protective film, again no prices doh!

If the comic is suspended between two sheets of glass without any support at the bottom of the book, given enough time gravity will move the book and pop the staples through the cover. No matter how tight the glass is when it's originally framed.

I guarantee it. :gossip:

The more I look into and think about this; its a really terrible idea.

But what about one sheet of glass and foam backing that kind of forms around the comic?

Just a for your information, the ones that I have are glass on both sides, so the comic book would be suspended in the middle between both. I was hoping there was some kind of pocket in between for the comic to sit in, but there is not. There is slack though within the frame itself, which would allow room once the comic is inserted between the glass, however it still will have a mashing like effect.

Guys,

Not sure how late I am to this conversation, but I have spent a lot of time and effort working out the best way to display my comics safely and at the same time making them look their best.

Glass is too heavy and believe it or not doesn't let as much light through as acrylic.

it also shatters if it falls, which increases the chances of your comic being damaged. Acrylic is shatter resistant and has some UV properties.

Normal picture framers can only offer a beveled edge on the mount, not a square one you will need to keep the comics edges nice and square, but also stop it from falling down between the sheets of glass you're thinking of using (been there done that).

And all this worry of fading is, on the whole completely unfounded. you would have to have the comic in the window for years for it to fade. In a room away from the window it will be perfectly fine. I had my Batman #608 variant cover in my frame for over a year and you couldn't tell the difference between that one and one I had bagged and boarded.

I hope this helps guys. :grin: