• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone here into Anime, Manga?

51 posts in this topic

Do you only want answers in the affirmative?
Well if you want you can talk about how you got in to it.

Or what you've seen.

I myself Got hooked on Anime with the introduction of Gundam Wing On CN ''Toonami'' block back in '99 and I've seen multiple series movies & have read several manga (less then a dozen)

Back around 93-94, I picked up a Ranma 1/2 comic at my local shop. From the time I was 7 until around 18, I was really into anime. I haven't seen or read anything new in years. One day I just got sick of it.

However, certain shows hold a special place in my heart: Sailor Moon being the biggest one. Ranma 1/2, Maison Ikkoku, and Gunsmith Cats were my favorite manga as a kid.

My wife has gotten into some of it and I must admit Deathnote kicks butt. I have a hard time watching anime (unless it is Speed Racer), but I do enjoy the manga.

I actually went to this year's Anime Expo and had a good time seeing all the young folks into comics, even if the kind I have a passion for.

My wife has gotten into some of it and I must admit Deathnote kicks butt. I have a hard time watching anime (unless it is Speed Racer), but I do enjoy the manga.

I actually with to this year's Anime Expo and had a good time seeing all the young folks into comics, even if the kind I have a passion for.

I thought after watching Deathnote that anime could never get any better then this. Then I discovered ''Monster''. (thumbs u

I actually with to this year's Anime Expo and had a good time seeing all the young folks into comics, even if the kind I have a passion for.

Deathnote is outstanding. Adultswim's Saturday night lineup is pretty good. Cowboy Bebop is an absolute classic. I'd also recommend FLCL (Fooley Cooley) It's completely insane with fantastic animation, and it's only 6 episodes.

For movies I'd recommend Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away.

I also enjoyed BLEACH, but after awhile it got old real fast.

I think some of the guys behind these shows & books don't know when to call it quits!

I also enjoyed BLEACH, but after awhile it got old real fast.

I think some of the guys behind these shows & books don't know when to call it quits!

Obviously, I love Bleach, and still watch new episodes on Youtube, but man, can the fights on that show drag out!

Grave Of The Fireflies is a great movie. As is Ghost In The Shell.
Fireflies is a masterpiece, but I feel GITS falls a bit short. I Preferred the series Stand Alone Complex.

Fireflies is a masterpiece, but I feel GITS falls a bit short. I Preferred the series Stand Alone Complex.

I saw GITS when I was 11 (I'm serious) and it blew my mind away.

Most anime series are dragged out way too long. Ranma 1/2, Bleach, Inu Yasha, and Naruto are a few prime examples.

Most anime series are dragged out way too long. Ranma 1/2, Bleach, Inu Yasha, and Naruto are a few prime examples.

I still can't belive AS is still airing this show at 4 A.M. :insane:

I still can't belive AS is still airing this show at 4 A.M. :insane:

Back in the day, I remember a local station showed Sailor Moon and then Mega Man at 6 and 6:30am.

Then in middle school Toonami started to air. I was really upset they were gonna show Tenchi Muyo on T.V, I had the series on laser disk and knew it wasn't a kids show.

Middle school was the peak of my anime fandom, from 97-2000. Mixxzine had just been created, and announced they were translating the Sailor Moon manga. I had the Japanese volumes, and at the time a majority of the series on LD, so I was crazy excited. Sailor Moon had a huge impact on anime. It actually made maho shojo shows popular and long lasting, something Cutey Honey and Magical Witch Sally just couldn't do (despite being great shows on their own, Cutey Honey is not really a show for little girls). It's a shame most newer fans don't recognize that, since it's an "old" show now.

I have given manga more than a fair chance and I just cannot say I am a fan. I liked the series Xenon: Heavy Metal Warrior a little, but there were still plenty of what I would consider to be serious flaws, but what I believe to be just cultural differences in the way eastern and western comics are made. I would love to be able to like manga though because of the variety of genres (even though I find they can almost all be lumped into "teen in giant robot," "collect things and fight them," "I know martial arts," "sports are suitable for comic books," and "hot alien becomes my sex slave"). I'm not a super hero reader which does severely limit my comic book selection, especially comic books found at comic book shops, conventions, or through Diamond distribution. The internet is my savior :cloud9:

If you ever get a chance to read through Xenon it has some very interesting articles on manga. One that stuck out was the ambiguous word balloons.