• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think about comic book stores who purposely overbook on varaints?

86 posts in this topic

I would like to know what is the best way to handle this. I ordered 2 copies of The Walking Dead appreciation variant from Discount Comic book Service. Now, listen because cause this is important they published the variant as being avaliable and let people order and pay for them in advance. Now, close to 2 months later they claim they only received 8 and now refunding the money. They gave this announcement after July orders went in, so I emailed them and asked them if I could cancel my July order since I was not getting the TWD varaint and Christina the owner said she would charge me a 25% restocking fee. Now, this is my point I have no problem with some books being canceled, sometimes the publisher delays the books or cancels it all together, that is not the store's fault. But, I find it in poor taste when a store like DCBS purposely overbooks a variant so they can sit on the money for 2 months. I could have pre-ordered it elsewhere or even bought it off Ebay, but now my money is still sitting with them and i am not ever going to buy any more books from them. Can anyone help me with some tips on how to get varaints without getting screwed over like this? It really makes me made because they promoted the books like they would receive plenty and now my money and probably many others money sits as a credit at the store where they hope you will buy more from them.

So I sat sat down to read this thread because I want to keep up to date on the Modern market and it's various sales issues as it is important to the long term success of the market. I have discovered that when reading posts on this board that if there are no paragraph breaks in a post and the OP has something lengthy to say that more often than not halfway through the post my eyes glaze over and I get distracted by playing with the lint in my belly button. In this case though, the fevered expectation of getting a preview of Richard Evans' new book "Have a Seat: A Tall Man's Guide to Reading On the Crapper" kept me interested long enough to store the bellybutton lint for later inspection and resume reading. Two days pass as I fall into a catatonic state 3-4 sentences into these black hole paragraphs and not even the (not so gentle) nudges by my wife reminding me that sitting at my desk in nothing my underwear while we have dinner guests is a little rude. Breaking away, but refusing to dress, the dinner guests leave earlier than expected. Mining such gems as "anonymous knucklehead posting on a fringe message board" makes all the devoted time to attempting to make it through the thread worthwhile, as well as alienating the dinner guests(an unexpected added bonus). Maybe with a little more effort at concentrating I can make through this thread. Sometimes vaidd points can be raised here in the the forum that would make this all worthwhi- oh look! A squirrel!

in before the lock.

Great post! I hope someday that I can score points in the Locked Thread Challenge as I think it would be a great reference on a resume if I ever needed one. Do you know a good resume ghost writer? I have lots of experience and could make a way cool resume. I have even met some foreign boardies and that experience itself must count for a lot while looking for a job in today's tough job market because dealing with foreigner's is so much more commonplace than it used to be though I don't think I could work with too many foreigners because I don't know every much other than English and maybe a few swear words in other languages and I don't think that would be the best skill to display especially if I were to get a job in some sort of customer service role like, let's say, I was working at a Mexican restaurant in the south and I never came to the table to ask about drink refills or even to notice if anyone needed more tortilla wraps. Though I guess if I didn't come to the table then I wouldn't have a need to speak a foreign language(Southern, in this case), so I will take the job! Thanks!

so I emailed them and asked them if I could cancel my July order since I was not getting the TWD varaint and Christina the owner said she would charge me a 25% restocking fee.

If you paid by CC or Paypal (hopefully) then you have a lot of options - on the CC side, let them know the company failed to supply the contracted issues, you want to cancel, and contest/advise them of any BS 25% surcharge.

If you paid via check, you're basically screwed.

Question: If I were to quote what Chromium said there, and this thread got locked, would I lose a point? (shrug)

You are the ruler of the Locked Thread Points Challenge Thread, so you can decide.

I would like to know what is the best way to handle this. I ordered 2 copies of The Walking Dead appreciation variant from Discount Comic book Service. Now, listen because cause this is important they published the variant as being avaliable and let people order and pay for them in advance. Now, close to 2 months later they claim they only received 8 and now refunding the money. They gave this announcement after July orders went in, so I emailed them and asked them if I could cancel my July order since I was not getting the TWD varaint and Christina the owner said she would charge me a 25% restocking fee. Now, this is my point I have no problem with some books being canceled, sometimes the publisher delays the books or cancels it all together, that is not the store's fault. But, I find it in poor taste when a store like DCBS purposely overbooks a variant so they can sit on the money for 2 months. I could have pre-ordered it elsewhere or even bought it off Ebay, but now my money is still sitting with them and i am not ever going to buy any more books from them. Can anyone help me with some tips on how to get varaints without getting screwed over like this? It really makes me made because they promoted the books like they would receive plenty and now my money and probably many others money sits as a credit at the store where they hope you will buy more from them.

So I sat sat down to read this thread because I want to keep up to date on the Modern market and it's various sales issues as it is important to the long term success of the market. I have discovered that when reading posts on this board that if there are no paragraph breaks in a post and the OP has something lengthy to say that more often than not halfway through the post my eyes glaze over and I get distracted by playing with the lint in my belly button. In this case though, the fevered expectation of getting a preview of Richard Evans' new book "Have a Seat: A Tall Man's Guide to Reading On the Crapper" kept me interested long enough to store the bellybutton lint for later inspection and resume reading. Two days pass as I fall into a catatonic state 3-4 sentences into these black hole paragraphs and not even the (not so gentle) nudges by my wife reminding me that sitting at my desk in nothing my underwear while we have dinner guests is a little rude. Breaking away, but refusing to dress, the dinner guests leave earlier than expected. Mining such gems as "anonymous knucklehead posting on a fringe message board" makes all the devoted time to attempting to make it through the thread worthwhile, as well as alienating the dinner guests(an unexpected added bonus). Maybe with a little more effort at concentrating I can make through this thread. Sometimes vaidd points can be raised here in the the forum that would make this all worthwhi- oh look! A squirrel!

I had Vertigo by the time I got to Walking Dead.

in before the lock.

Great post! I hope someday that I can score points in the Locked Thread Challenge as I think it would be a great reference on a resume if I ever needed one. Do you know a good resume ghost writer? I have lots of experience and could make a way cool resume. I have even met some foreign boardies and that experience itself must count for a lot while looking for a job in today's tough job market because dealing with foreigner's is so much more commonplace than it used to be though I don't think I could work with too many foreigners because I don't know every much other than English and maybe a few swear words in other languages and I don't think that would be the best skill to display especially if I were to get a job in some sort of customer service role like, let's say, I was working at a Mexican restaurant in the south and I never came to the table to ask about drink refills or even to notice if anyone needed more tortilla wraps. Though I guess if I didn't come to the table then I wouldn't have a need to speak a foreign language(Southern, in this case), so I will take the job! Thanks!

Can you start tomorrow ?

Question: If I were to quote what Chromium said there, and this thread got locked, would I lose a point? (shrug)

You are the ruler of the Locked Thread Points Challenge Thread, so you can decide.

the tip of the hat should always go to Chrome. (thumbs u

So the 25% restock fee is being charged because you canceled your entire order?

And you are canceling your entire order simply because they were unable to deliver two variant copies of a single issue?

From the sounds of it you are a whiner. But that is just my opinion.

The store you dealt with certainly committed a mistake. They didn't completely spell out the "we cannot guarantee delivery on books published on a limited basis" rule. But you already knew that rule being as you are a variant collector and know how the variant deal works. You chose them because the rule wasn't spelled out. Maybe they should have held your hand through the whole process. Maybe they should have gone to the bathroom for you as well. And so you are trying to punish them by sticking them with a stack of comics which they cannot return and you are trying to drag their name through the mud on a comic message board.

I rant because I am a retailer. These are the dumb- things that we retailers have to deal with on a daily basis. We have to bite our tongues. These are our customers after all. I certainly would never say any of this to any of the customers I see in the shop. But you are an anonymous knucklehead posting on a fringe message board.

Congratulations...you got my goat (thumbs u

:o

the tip of the hat should always go to Chrome. (thumbs u

:foryou:

For one, DBCS were at fault for promising to fulfill any amount of orders for the variants (not varaints) and failing to comply, and they have backed you into a corner by refusing to refund but only offering store credit.

You were at fault by cancelling your whole order, you were going to buy the other books anyway and that was just sour grapes.

If anything, this is the perfect example of a dysfunctional retailer/customer relationship.

An yes akanni, you are a whiner.

Quite often.

See?

Shame on you, Gavm for not mentioning one of the classics (tsk)

Why is spraying your comics restoration? Protection is not restoration.

I blame my noob-ness for not realizing this was the same guy. These were some of the first threads I read when I started posting here - they had me on the floor! Now I feel bad for actually trying to give him some rational advice. Take your Watchmen 9.8s (er 9.4s) and go far far away (thumbs u

the fevered expectation of getting a preview of Richard Evans' new book "Have a Seat: A Tall Man's Guide to Reading On the Crapper" kept me interested

The book will get printed as soon as the printer clears the presses of all those copies of The Pedigree Book.

I just read this thread and I also buy from DCBS. When buying variants from any retailer doing business online you need to remember that these are pre-orders not stock on hand. They can order as much as they want, but it doesn't mean they are going to get them. I too ordered the #75 variant, on the the first day you could make an order online, but guess what I received an email stating there were only 8 and I didn't get one. So I looked on ebay and found a nm copy and bought it for the same price with shipping as DCBS. As for the credit on a future order did you only use DCBS for this book? Did you order anything from their current pre-order period? If you did just order more stuff your CC hasn't been charged yet and the credit would apply to this order.

I don't think they did it just to sit on your money for two months. That doesn't make a lot of sense.

They did, however, do it in the hopes of getting a larger order of these books.

Sometimes you get it, sometimes you don't. I've gotten some through them and NOT gotten some through them. Got my Neal Adams Batman variant. DIDN'T get my J Scott Campbell Black Cat.

The only way you can for SURE get one is to open a Diamond account yourself and order within the guidelines for the variants.

Other than that, you probably have scramble like the rest of us, or pay more and go through BeachBum's 9.8 service, to get exactly what you want. It's worth it if you want something specific; and he's as top notch of a guy to deal with as there is here.

Which, of course, is absolutely ridiculous.

Only in comics do collectors put up with such nonsense on a routine basis, cause they gotta have their fix. It's absurd.

If you order something, it should arrive, barring some huge disaster. If they can't be bothered to fill ALL their orders, they deserve to go out of business. If they can't be bothered to follow ordering rules to ensure their customers get what they want, they deserve to go out of business.

Is there a place for competency in this market...? Or will people just continue to get treated like crud for "the best price"...?