• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the best way to sell an Action #1

50 posts in this topic

Thanks for the great story t3quila. You should be writing X-Men.

And that you Chestpirito for the pictures of the woman with the big chest.

Actually, thank you all for replying. This is the most attention any of my posts have ever gotten.

Show a picture of the Tec 27 and you will be amazed at how many replies/Pm's and how many people want to be your best friend..... NM?

My grandfather bought his copy of Action 1 which he took into battle in WW2

He was killed along with all the other Marines at the battle of Wake Island. My granddad was facing death, and he knew it. None of those boys had any illusions about ever leaving that island alive.

So three days before the Japanese took the island, my granddad asked a gunner on an Air Force transport named Winocki, a man he had never met before in his life, to deliver to his infant son, who he had never seen in the flesh, his copy of Action 1. Three days later, your grandfather was dead. But Winocki kept his word. After the war was over, he paid a visit to your grandmother, delivering to your infant father, his Dad's Action 1.

This book. This book was in my Daddy's backpack when he was shot down over Hanoi. He was captured and put in a Vietnamese prison camp. He knew if the gooks ever saw the comic book that it'd be confiscated; taken away. The way my Dad looked at it, this book was my birthright. He'd be damned if any slopes were gonna put their greasy yellow hands on his boy's birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide something. His . Five long years, he wore this comic book up his . Then when he died of dysentery, he gave a friend the Action 1. He hid this uncomfortable collection of paper up his for two years. Then, after seven years, He was sent home to his family. And then he gave me the book.

Brings a tear to my eye every time I tell the story.

Fibber.

And just what don't you believe?

In an Afterlife.

It is in near mint if not mint. There is a letter stuck in the middle of it, written from Bob to my grandfather Yitzhak about how bad he feels for *spooning* Bill Finger. "Bill not only created the Joker," it says, "he created Batman, Batgirl, Robin, BatHound, Batmite, the Batmobile, the Batcave and Aunt Hattie. I created Alfred myself. I know that Alfred is what makes the book but I still feel bad about underpaying Bill and leaving his name off the credits. I'll buy him a coffee next week".

He was killed along with all the other Marines at the battle of Wake Island. My granddad was facing death, and he knew it. None of those boys had any illusions about ever leaving that island alive.

So three days before the Japanese took the island, my granddad asked a gunner on an Air Force transport named Winocki, a man he had never met before in his life, to deliver to his infant son, who he had never seen in the flesh, his copy of Action 1. Three days later, my grandfather was dead. But Winocki kept his word. After the war was over, he paid a visit to my grandmother, delivering to my infant father, his Dad's Action 1.

This book. This book was in my Daddy's backpack when he was shot down over Hanoi. He was captured and put in a Vietnamese prison camp. He knew if the gooks ever saw the comic book that it'd be confiscated; taken away. The way my Dad looked at it, this book was my birthright. He'd be damned if any slopes were gonna put their greasy yellow hands on his boy's birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide something. His . Five long years, he wore this comic book up his . Then when he died of dysentery, he gave a friend the Action 1. He hid this uncomfortable collection of paper up his for two years. Then, after seven years, He was sent home to his family. And then he gave me the book.

PULP FICTION :cloud9:

So three days before the Japanese took the island, my granddad asked a gunner on an Air Force transport named Winocki, a man he had never met before in his life, to deliver to his infant son, who he had never seen in the flesh, his copy of Action 1. Three days later, my grandfather was dead. But Winocki kept his word. After the war was over, he paid a visit to my grandmother, delivering to my infant father, his Dad's Action 1.

One of my favorite films of all time.

I wasn't as clear as I should have been. The story is pure nonsense.

I don't have an Action #1 and I never will. I put this up because some of the stories I have heard about people unearthing valuable comics or collections are too pat to be true. They are the sort of thing that is meant to get publicity and nullify greed and envy. I made up the story very quickly but mixed in patriotism, endured suffering, money going to good use.

By the way, nobody uses iron lungs anymore. And if they did use them here, the government health plan would pay for them anyway.

I do, however, have a Detective #27 in near mint. I got it from my grandfather Yitzach Kahn who was Bob Kane's younger brother. Bob gave him ten copies which he put in a safe in his rooming house. He would bring out one occasionally to show the boarders. He was very proud of his older brother and told and retold the story of why Bob chose the name Kane over Kahn. Then one day in 1967, during the height of the Batman craze, some TV producers came over to the house and...

I was going to call your BS when I saw the story about medical bills (tsk). Canadians have free health care. Yeah the Iron Lung was puzzling too. Nice story though (thumbs u

It is in near mint if not mint. There is a letter stuck in the middle of it, written from Bob to my grandfather Yitzhak about how bad he feels for *spooning* Bill Finger. "Bill not only created the Joker," it says, "he created Batman, Batgirl, Robin, BatHound, Batmite, the Batmobile, the Batcave and Aunt Hattie. I created Alfred myself. I know that Alfred is what makes the book but I still feel bad about underpaying Bill and leaving his name off the credits. I'll buy him a coffee next week".

I'm not doubting you,i just want to see it...and i'm sure i'm not alone...i love seeing that type of stuff.

ChristopherWalken.png

So you are asking us to make up stories about finding a copy of Action 1 that would increase it's saleable value?

I'm sure the folks paying a hefty price for a comic book don't really care unless it was 1koko's copy that he used to read in the toilet.

A toilet book.... (tsk) Oh wait a second. This book has been in a toilet. I used to work in Brentanos. Mister, we are trying to help the homeless here. It's bad enough some nut is trying to strap them to rickshaws. You get your toilet book out of here and I won't jump over this counter and punch you in the brain.

" I don't need you to tell me how good my coffee is, okay? I'm the one who buys it. I know how good it is. When Bonnie goes shopping she buys mess. I buy the gourmet expensive stuff because when I drink it I want to taste it. But you know what's on my mind right now? It AIN'T the coffee in my kitchen!"

This story is utter nonsense...well, the last part anyway. He ACTUALLY sold the Action 1 for a ton of dough but the proceeds all went to his proctologist.

At Whole Foods the other day a guy in front of me pulled out an old wallet to pay for his groceries and it had "BMF" written on it with a marker. I asked him if he made it or if he found it at the bottom of the hefty bag. He looked at me kind of surprised and said he'd made it and in the 10 years of carrying it I was the first person to catch the Pulp Fiction reference.

I think you gave it away by starting in WW2 and ending up in a North Vietnamese prison camp.

So you are asking us to make up stories about finding a copy of Action 1 that would increase it's saleable value?

I'm sure the folks paying a hefty price for a comic book don't really care unless it was 1koko's copy that he used to read in the toilet.

A toilet book.... (tsk) Oh wait a second. This book has been in a toilet. I used to work in Brentanos. Mister, we are trying to help the homeless here. It's bad enough some nut is trying to strap them to rickshaws. You get your toilet book out of here and I won't jump over this counter and punch you in the brain.

Seinfeld :cloud9:

I think you gave it away by starting in WW2 and ending up in a North Vietnamese prison camp.
This is by far the coolest fake story EVER!!!! It had me on the edge of my seat the whole time! I wish it would have been continued with 'after the famed disappearance of Elvis' favorite car 'Lolita', in Memphis, in the spring of 74' a Fellow by the name of Johnny Wallaby turned up in Carson City Nevada, the person who allegedly robbed Paquito Ramirez (the grandson of the original owner of the comic in question) at gun point and took with him the said copy of Action 1, which he placed in a late 1800's hand-made cedar box and put it in the back of the now infamous 1971 one-of-a-kind custom made Camaro. The story goes, that while he was robbing a liquor store, what appeared to be 4 hippies, took the vehicle that had the engine running; JW was caught and released in 83'. The Camaro re-appeared in 1985 in an Abandoned farm in Northern Iowa, and was claimed by Elvis' illegitimate daughter Silvia but, the box was not found. Until 1989, when eccentric millionaire Yamimoto Sony (Of the electronic empire) found it in one of his 3000 cedar boxes which he had been collecting since he was 17; as he was going to place it on a display case, he opened it up to the splash page, only to find.. "To my great friend and confident Lupito Ramirez, yours truly, Jerry Siegel 41' ". The next day, when Yamimoto suffered the famous "It's just heartburn" heart attack, that cost him his life, the book disappeared ...until now.....