• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2011 SDCC 4 day passes

42 posts in this topic

If thats the way they are gonna be about it.....then I'm not goin :sumo:

Course on their webpage......ticket sales have not even started yet :gossip:

I didn't see a line thrus-sat for 2011 passes. On Sunday there was a decent line all day but I doubt enough to make a dent. I did get my preview night admission for $105.

I got mine and they did have a steady flow of people at the computers, but I can't imagine they really might have sold out on site. How many 4-dayers to they sell, 20k or so? That would be about 500 tickets an hour every day. Possible, but unlikely. It would also mean that a very large percentage of attendees would have had to know they could purchase the tickets. I only realized it because it was mentioned on a slide at the one panel I went to.

I thought I read in another thread that it was only the 4 day passes WITH preview night were sold out.

That seems possible.

:o

From the Washington Post...

"COMIC-CON 2011 PREVIEW NIGHT" ALREADY SOLD OUT

No, afraid that isn't an Onion headline. Particularly because it's difficult to satirize something that's already reached the point of presale absurdity.

Various outlets are reporting that all 15,000 four-day passes that include Preview Night sold out this week for next summer's event. Not quite absurd enough? Then try perhaps this: All 15,000 badges for 2011 sold out before 2010's event had even ended, reports the North County Times.

Are the 2012 Preview Night passes for sale yet, 'cause we'd like to get in on the action. What the hey -- can we buy a block of badges for the entire rest of the decade, no matter the venue or city?

Now, to cover those costs, to see about hocking all our Hulk memorabilia autographed by Ed Norton. We hear it hasn't depreciated too much yet.

From the North County Times...

Comic-Con sells out 2011 Preview Night before Con ends

15,000 registrations gone on Sunday

By ERIC WOLFF - ewolff@nctimes.com | Posted: July 26, 2010 9:03 pm

Two hours before San Diego Comic-Con 2010 ended, organizers sold out all 15,000 passes to the 2011 convention that include access to Preview Night, a Comic-Con International official said Monday.

The rapid sellout of one class of tickets ---- if history is a guide, regular four-day passes will be available in August ---- brings the question of Comic-Con's future into sharp relief: The organization's contract with the San Diego Convention Center runs out after the 2012 event, and officials in other cities such as Anaheim and Los Angeles are salivating over the recession-bucking convention.

The four-day pop culture extravaganza has annually attracted 120,000 visitors and contributes $163 million to the local economy, as estimated by the San Diego Convention Center Corp.

Until 2010, the event kicked off with a bonus night on Wednesday for buyers of the four-day pass that allowed attendees early access to vendors and freebies while avoiding the crowds that descend on Thursday.

This year, Comic-Con organizers limited the number of attendees, and Preview Night tickets sold out in October.

Tickets for the 2011 event were available during the convention last weekend only to attendees, yet the four-day plus Preview Night passes were wiped out by 3 p.m. Sunday, David Glanzer, a Comic-Con spokesman, wrote in an e-mail.

"That's crazy," said James Parenti, owner of comic book store Artifex Entertainment Comic Book & Cards in San Diego, and a regular attendee since the 1980s.

Parenti said it used to be easy to get in, but organizers started limiting the number of attendees only recently.

"It made it an exclusive kind of thing," he said. "Now passes are selling out; it's a party where you can't get in, and you want to get in."

Bill Harris of San Diego, who's been going to Comic-Con since the 1970s, was walking the huge expo hall on Friday when he noticed the queue.

On Saturday, he bought tickets for himself and some family and friends.

On Sunday, he got in line at 2 p.m. to buy a ticket for his adult daughter and arrived at the window a little after 3 p.m., moments after tickets sold out.

"I was shocked at first and bummed out," Harris said. "I had to call my daughter and tell her she didn't get Preview Night. It was not a parent's favorite moment."

The city of San Diego has submitted a proposal to Comic-Con International to extend its local run past 2012.

Officials are awaiting a decision, Darren Pudgil, a spokesman for San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders, said in a voice mail message.

"We believe we've put together the best proposal possible," Pudgil said. "We hope they return to San Diego for many years to come."

Also, regarding the contract with the city, I heard during the con that it got extended to 2015.

Haven't seen any confirmation of this yet.

Also, regarding the contract with the city, I heard during the con that it got extended to 2015.

Haven't seen any confirmation of this yet.

:wishluck:

:wishluck::wishluck:

Seriously, only 15,000 people were there on preview night? Felt as crowded as during any other peak time.

While this will be frustrating to many people, it is encouraging that that comics (and their related media) still have such a strong following.

aardvark88 made a good point in another thread. SDCC may be holding back some 4-day passes with preview night in order to bundle them with hotel reservations in Mission Valley, as they did this year.