• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Make offer

78 posts in this topic

I am not questioning his legitimacy (but thanks for vouching for him. Its good to know someone who knows someone else ) I'm just more than a bit surprised by the asking price.

COnsidering many folks offer 25-50% of the ask in this scenario, why not ask for $500 if at the end of the day you only expect/hope for it to sell at $250-$300?

as soon as he lists a few books at high prices he's labeled a shyster... which couldn't be further than the truth..

I didn't get "shyster" from the thread.

I got:

"misinformed of actual market value"

"possibly far overvalues this book for personal reasons"

"wasting his BIN fees"

etc.

Nor I . I am in no way calling him a shyster, or any name for that matter. I watch the Plas and Police auctions pretty regularly and thought this add was maybe pointing towards something about the old comic book market over all.... and nothing about the man personally. That is all

As per the last post, the reality is that there are plenty of ebay buyers who are going to expect a big discount no matter what/how fair your stated price is. He could have that book up for $150 and they'd want it for $75. It's not how I price things in my store, but I see where he's coming from on a favorite item and a few years back when I did have a lot of this sort of stuff in my store (3.0 - 8.0 GA slabs) I did price them at 100-125% of guide with the expectation that there would be downward negotiation of a bit. Criminey, it's not like he has it at $5000.

just curious though, where else is the book for sale? metropolis doesn't have a copy. four color doesn't. harley yee doesn't. how does one guage the market? has a 7.0 or 8.0 shown up on GPA?

i don't want to come across as defending pie in the sky ebay BIN pricing, but I dunno, the order of magnitude here isn't that clear. with that said, metropolis has a cgc 7.0 crowley copy of #18 up for $250 and a cgc VF+ copy of #6 for $515...so $500 is a bit of a reach. with that said, they have a heck of a lot more copies of the early issues than those in the 20's, I wonder why that is?

Unless the books are fairly uncommon the high BIN prices seem like a waste of time for the seller, because they're not going to find some fish to pay that price, especially when eBay will show your results next to competing books.

But for the buyer, at least it gives them a benchmark price (albeit inflated) to shop around.

I already have a copy of the book, but I don't mind upgrading if I can. Except for the tear at the top left, its a clean flat mid grade that I won on ebay for $15

Police25.jpg

I already have a copy of the book, but I don't mind upgrading if I can. Except for the tear at the top left, its a clean flat mid grade that I won on ebay for $15

Police25.jpg

that's a ridiculously low price for that copy unless shipping was $75

Police25.jpg

that's a ridiculously low price for that copy unless shipping was $75

Hahaha......actually, its even better than that. The auction was a a multi book lot which I won for around $30 plus shipping. Two books were completely useless, one book was a VG copy of Mutt and Jeff, and another was I think Wambi Jungle Boy and the Plas was of course the book I wanted. When I got em, I tossed the 2 junky books ...(probably in my reader box, not the trash) and split the cost between the Plas and the Wambi and had a free Mutt and Jeff to boot (thumbs u

Keep the $15 copy I'd say and spend the difference on beer.. :thumbsup:

hm I think you have something there Scroogie

Harvey just told me he's got 433 views on this book so far, which is the most he's ever had... so some people must be interested in this book and in PM

Or perhaps it could just be that this thread has 1200 views with a link 2 the auction and 1 outta every 3 ppl clicked on the link on page 1s opening post???

Another 33 ppl and you have your 433 views.

:roflmao: If nothing else.....I have put a spotlight on his book.

Wonder if he has read this thread ?? hm

He hasn't.. but I told him about it. He says he has a few other books priced high the same as this one. I've been trying to get him to join the boards.. I think he'd be a good new member, but he's being a knucklehead about it....

I didn't know 1200 people read this thread... I guess it is good free publicity for him...I will thank you for him Senormac... lol.. too bad the PM isn't priced a bit more reasonable, he would have probably sold it by now.

If I am on ebay and they have a reasonable price for a buy it now but have a make offer option I will do an offer since they seem to be reasonable in the first place. If they have some screwed up price I won't bother with them.

If I have an ad that I am buying something in which I always state give me a price with shipping and the person has the item and pulls the give offer I just look for an other seller. I find that make offer people are usally looking for suckers and are greedy resellers so I don't waste my time with them. I feel a seller should know what their item is worth and give their fair asking price first and then let the countering happen.

IMO if a book is worth real cash then put it up on ebay starting at .99 & see what happens... The book will go for what its really worth

I heartily agree synch (thumbs u

Shame? Who gives a crud? Most people know what they want to pay, and will do so accordingly when making an offer.

At least, that's how I approach it. In fact, the BIN being too high would tend to disuade me from even making an offer, just because the seller seems unrealistic based on his asking price.

(thumbs u When I see a BIN that is way above what I would offer, I just skip over the listing. If we're going to be that far apart to begin with, I figure there's no point in even making an offer.

+1 I agree. Sellers usually set a certain 'reserve' (not sure if this is the right word) price and if you make an offer below that, you get rejected automatically. Then again, seeing a listing where many offers had been made and the book's still there, it could mean that the seller's 'reserve' price is high.

It is me the notorious "MAKE OFFER" guy from e-bay. Hey I am a small store and do not have the money like the big guys out there so I used 5 books as advertuising. I used a few books for advertising and did not want to sell any of them that is why the price was extremely outrages. .20 advertising what more can you ask for??? The other 500 listings are fairly priced...

Glad you came over Harvey. This place is a comic book dealers/collectors dream, and us comic nerds gotta stick together . I really do like the book, but as you can see, I already have one....... and alot of beer :applause: