• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WTF? Are these fair prices?

48 posts in this topic

I want to pick up 9.8's of these books, but there's no way these are fair prices.......or are they? I'm out of the loop with slabbed moderns, but these seem a little excessive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=17082&item=2229172672

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=17082&item=2229172084

lol They're fair if you're a crack dealer with money to blow.

Crack isn't as profitable as it once was,...that ship has sailed......kids today want their Ecstacy,...and Heroin is making a big comeback too as a more high grade snort-able substance......

I want to pick up 9.8's of these books, but there's no way these are fair prices.......or are they? I'm out of the loop with slabbed moderns, but these seem a little excessive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=17082&item=2229172672

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=17082&item=2229172084

First time I've noticed ASM #294. That is an awesome cover ! 893applaud-thumb.gif

But the price is ridiculous. I think it must include a 1/4 gram of what he's smoking as well. insane.gif

Prior to that sale the GPA average for #294 was $191, so it's basically in the ballpark with the two previous sales ($209 and $173). There are only three 9.8s, this IS a well remembered run (it's one of a handful of Spider-Man stories I read off the racks), and it's Spider-Man, with that combo strange things happen. #293 the GPA average is $88, but the spread is greater (it ranges between $35 and $148.95 with more than 1 sale < $50.)

I think it's just a case of "Spider9698 prices" not being necessarily reflective of where the market will trade after he's made his purchase. I can see how it's probably not worth his time to track the auction and try to win the book lower rather than paying whatever the asking price is (in most cases, anyway). Given that most others are not of the same mindset/financial position, I think this sale is probably more an aberration than the start of a new price trend for this book.

Gene

#294 - sold at the $249.95 BIN price.

27_laughing.gif Look who bought it - obviously a rich kid with more money than brains. Isn't he the Mensa who bought the Spider-Man #301 CGC 9.8 for over $700?

BTW, your avatar makes me laugh every time. insane.gif

2 or 3 years ago i would have paid that much for that issue,but now i wouldnt because there will be some 9.8s on that one even though it is hard to find 9.8s on it.has anybody ever seen #290 in 9.8? confused-smiley-013.gif

You would have paid $800.00 for a #299 in 9.8 two years ago??!!?? blush.gif....that's insane....it's a $10.00 book plus $15.00 for the slab....

Actually I am one of the mensa's who bought ASM 301 for that price. 1 dealer had two 9.8s. One sold on ebay for $700 and I bought the other directly from the dealer. It was a buy of love not speculation. But yes, its tucked away in a nice bank vault where the whole purpose of comic collecting is defeated. lol. On the other hand, i do regularly enjoy my reader copy. And also, I have noticed with the exception of 252 always being the most expensive, most asm's from 280-301 do extremely well in the return market. With the exception of like 1 issue, i have this run but accumulated it because im a black costume spidey fan and i like the covers

I guess I'm not cut out for modern buying. Nostalgia or not, I would never pay $250 for a 9.8. I love the book, but when I already have 2 raw NM+ copies which I bought for $5 each, paying 50X that for a certified 9.8 just dosen't make any sense. I think I'll wait for the inevitablility that more 9.8's will show up.