• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Really Really Late SDCC 2010 Report and Vacation Pics

44 posts in this topic

Sorry about the late report, however I had trouble finding my camera cable to transfer pictures to my computer. Any one with a 2 year old knows things disappear with no explanation. I thought I left it in California, turns out it was in his toy box!!!!!

I decided to combine a much needed vacation with SDCC 2010. He went to La Jolla for 6 days before we went south to San Diego. I had friends meet us down there for 4 days. The girls were able to go to the spa and some shopping while we were able to do some golfing. I had a contact at work that assured me we could play Torrey Pines. For those of you that don't me, I need to plan ahead... I have always been like that. Torrey is very difficult to get on and takes reservations 90 days ahead of time. I was assured this contact was legit and we would get on. since joining these boards, I have met many terrific people. Last December, I needed to go to Laguna Beach for a client Christmas party. I had been talking to TRmoore(Tom) via pm about ASM books I was selling. To make a long story short, when I was down, we played golf in a rain storm, really bad weather but fun none the less. I contacted Tom and mentioned I would be in San Diego and if he was interested in playing Torrey Pines we would love to have him out. Our contact was able to get us on both Monday and Wednesday(Tom joined us Wednesday) on the South course. The pictures to follow do not do this course justice. Needless to say this was a great way to start the vacation.

P7210001.jpg

Hole #1 South Course

P7210002.jpg

Signature hole Par 3 South Course 209 yards

P7210003.jpg

Our very own TRMOORE and I

P7210005.jpg

Other random shots of Torrey

P7210007.jpg

P7210008.jpg

My other buddy Dan who was able to meet us there as well

P7210011.jpg

It was our intention to hit the preview night on Wednesday, but my wife was having so much fun in La Jolla we decided to make our last night very light paced before the craziness. We went to La Jolla Cove and ate at a terrific rooftop restaurant recommended by everyone we ased Georgio's. If you're ever there, you won't be disappointed.

We left La Jolla early Thursday morning and checked into the Westgate Plaza. We got this hotel very late in June after being shut out of all the hotels we really wanted. We were not sure what to expect, but the hotel and rooms were fantastic. The shuttle to the convention was right across the street and we never waited for more than 7 minutes. We liked it so much, we already booked for next year. Only complaint was slow internet service, but we were really no where to be found.

The highlite for Thursday was our meet and greet with Stan Lee. Stan was about 45 minutes late as expected. My wife was waiting for me at Starbucks at the convention and I had no way to reach her to tell her I would be really late. This all worked out in the end as Nick's wife (agent007) had to pick up their daughter from day care. I asked if she could relay the message. She was nice enough to do so. Great people. The following are pictures from our meet and greet with Stan.

Mr. and Mrs. Agent007

P7220023.jpg

P7220024.jpg

Our own 1KOKO(George)

P7220037.jpg

P7220039.jpg

Yours truly with Stan. He's signing a really nice ASM 50 I bought from Bob Storms

P7220033.jpg

It has been mentioned in other threads, but I needed to say it again. Since joining these boards, I have met numerous fantastic people. Steve Borock is one of those guys I have all the time in the world for. My wife who just met him on Thursday for the first time turned to me and said " you can tell he loves the hobby but loves meeting people.. very passionate about his work"" Steve is a terrific guy, setting up these special meet and greets and will take the time out of a very very busy schedule to discuss topics or help with grading. Class guy. I need to apologize to him, after we met with Stan Lee we walked across the streeret to the Marriot. Steve recommended we eat at Roy's. The place was booked solid, we decided to have drinks while waiting. Steve was able to get us a table 5 minutes after we sat down when they told us it would be a minimum 1 hour wait. The drinks had just come and we were being ushered to our table. I felt terrible as Steve had made this happen and we couldn't even enjoy a drink with him. I offered to have him join us for dinner, but he declined. Dinner's on me next time Steve. Half way into dinner, I notice this guy from the meet and greet, he looks very familiar. I lean over a little more and Stan Lee is sitting two tables behind us. Wife thought that was cool.

The following are pictures of Steve talking to Stan and getting the last of the marvel value stamps signed for I believe Stronguy.

Steve explaining the Stamps to Stan

P7220041.jpg

P7220041.jpg

P7220043.jpg

P7220044.jpg

P7220045.jpg

Over the next couple of days, my wife and I took in our first SDCC. We had a great time, we hung around most of the convention with Rick and Adam ( G. A tor and Filter81) and with Bob Storms and his lovely wife....oh yeah and mister personality John (Spider-on Tilt), incredible how he's not married yet :baiting:

He are the pictures from the con. Can't wait to go next year. We were able to get tickets Sunday for the 4 day pass with preview night.

P7230048.jpg

These things were just begging to pop out and make an appearence.

P7230050.jpg

P7230051.jpg

For all the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Fans. Here is the a great collection, even rivals our owns Peter Palmer!!!!

P7240052.jpg

I was lucky to hold the Tec 27 in hand. Beautiful copy

P7240053.jpg

Best Costume I saw

P7240056.jpg

Our very own Bob Storms and Spidey on Tilt (John)

P7240060.jpg

Torrey Pines :applause:

Now the most important questions:

1. What did you shoot?

2. Who won money?

:grin:

Let's just say I had fun. The rough is brutal. Tom shot under a hundred from the Whites(6600 yards). My buddy Dan who is an awesome golfer shot 84 from the blues(7000) and 3 putted 4 times.

What a great course, can't wait to play next year.

Great pics, Andre! Makes me wish I could have gone this year.

And that TMNT collection is (worship)