• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Officially Give Up

74 posts in this topic

The fact that she's a POWER SELLER and the fact that ALL OF THEM have been relisted with the correct information in them appears to deflect away from your theory that she was being scammed.

Ummm, do you want to read the email from her, thanking me for my help, detailing how she refused the lowball offer, and asking if the new listings are correct?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

sure, I have nothing else better to do... popcorn.gif

Well I apologize then - you should be applauded from stopping people from taking advantage of little old ladies, orphans and puppies.

That being said, she's a Power Seller. She should know better and shouldn't have taken the low ball offer in the first place.

That being said, she's a Power Seller. She should know better and shouldn't have taken the low ball offer in the first place.

I totally agree, and I told her as much.

From her email, she apparently shares the same qualities of other scammees, in that she was apparently quite surprised to be offered real cash for that "pile of old comics".

how many variants were in those books?

Full runs of Amazing Spider-man, Spectacular Spider-man, and most amazing of all, Marvel Tales. 893whatthe.gif Along with a few Marvel Team-ups, Marvel Two-in-Ones and a few assorted issues.

I didn't keep a full total, but around 22 or so. Maybe one or two more, as I didn't really look over that mixed lot she had too closely.

She's going to make $4K from these auctions. Scam my [!@#%^&^].

4K? Are you serious? My goodness, if that's the case, I'm officially on undisclosed variant watch on ebay! 893applaud-thumb.gif

$4K is a conservative number. 22 variants, several from very high-demand titles that have major major play on them. Ask board member Higghawker about PPTSS 11.

how many variants were in those books?

Full runs of Amazing Spider-man, Spectacular Spider-man, and most amazing of all, Marvel Tales. 893whatthe.gif Along with a few Marvel Team-ups, Marvel Two-in-Ones and a few assorted issues.

I didn't keep a full total, but around 22 or so. Maybe one or two more, as I didn't really look over that mixed lot she had too closely.

And, this clearly identifies Wilmington as a 35 cent variant site, as this is the fourth major 35 cent hoard that's come out of there. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Wilmington's 6 hours from here...

$4K is a conservative number. 22 variants, several from very high-demand titles that have major major play on them. Ask board member Higghawker about PPTSS 11.

Thar's money to be had in them undisclosed variant hills! I'm now officially on the hunt. thumbsup2.gif

I've got a couple of Marvel Tales, and from experience, 1-3 issues of each are on the want list of all the major players.

That full run will definitely be a lot to watch.

Nice work JC, this thread acts as a shining possitive example of how collectors should conduct themselves, hopefully for the long term benefit of the hobby. There have been too many examples lately of the negative side of the coin.

Kudos to you. 893applaud-thumb.gif

JC,

Kudos. My stance is similar to yours. It's one thing to convince a seller who isn't willing to take the time to look at a price guide before selling books to sell at a price you're both happy with (say, over guide but under the current, albeit unstable market value) and quite another to scr@w over other collectors who already have bids on an auction. I've made my share of deals on unknowing variant sellers, but always draw the line here, and never totally burned a seller. In general, this has become too unsavory and I've recently been doing one of two things:

• snap up BIN's -recently got a Marvel Presents 12
  • if I'm interested and it's a regular auction, let the seller know what they have, that I'll be bidding, and to ignore low-ball offers
  • do the same if I'm not interested and I think the person will get ripped off
  • ignore the auction--it's actually surprising how many variants are slipping under the radar-nothing real valuable, but still bargains (Neatstuff keeps missing them)

Glad you were able to exact some sort of revenge on the person who initially got these auctions ended. I have little sympathy for sellers who should know better, but in this instance, a lline was definitely crossed.

Chock one up for the good guys, and it's at least one older lady that the gypsies, tramps and thieves didn't scam!

Everyone who sent an email, please take a bow. acclaim.gif

27_laughing.gif I love it. I think some of these variant collectors have a type of sickness that gives an otherwise decent person a license to scam. Busted. Nice job. thumbsup2.gif

5. Made an opening bid of $200 for each lot. Whatever the final price ends up being, pay that. I strongly believe this: if the auction runs its course, you are under NO obligation to do anything else.

5. Made an opening bid of $200 for each lot. Whatever the final price ends up being, pay that. I strongly believe this: if the auction runs its course, you are under NO obligation to do anything else.

thumbsup2.gif

See!

You are a free market capitalist at heart! grin.gif

Welcome to the Republician Party! hi.gif