• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FF 50 shenanigans on Pedigree?

529 posts in this topic

That is a ridiculous price. Even $10K for "only" a 9.4 seems high.

Impossible to discuss value separate from supply...doesn't much matter that it's "only" a 9.4 if the book is unobtainable in 9.6/9.8. I also think $10K is high, but I can say that you can go years and not see a single copy hit market in 9.4. The Census shows 1 in 9.8, 2 in 9.6, and 12 in 9.4...it's a tough book in high grade. If a 9.6 ever hit the open market I could see it reaching $20K...although that'd be iffy in this crappy economy.

I've bought several books from Doug, visited his home to pick them up and have had 0 issues. I think this universal condemnation of Doug is a bit overhyped. He has been nice to me but I don't doubt the issues being mentioned

Actually, it's being downplayed by apologists, simply because he 'has sweet books'.

What Doug has done would have him run out of any other 'profession'

Oh, wait a minute...

I've bought several books from Doug, visited his home to pick them up and have had 0 issues. I think this universal condemnation of Doug is a bit overhyped. He has been nice to me but I don't doubt the issues being mentioned

Actually, it's being downplayed by apologists, simply because he 'has sweet books'.

Oh, wait a minute...

102268.jpg.d9cc0d3b067ed5dd04278b20b032e36b.jpg

Here is another question I have about Doug's practices;

1-How can he charge $40 for a single slab? I get books sent to me for another boardie and i just opened up a SINGLE book from Pedigree with a $40 charge.

Shipping is through FedEx which I have little experience with. However, can any of you who would know better than explain.

Also, as an added bonus is the awesome "Paypal" charge :cloud9: which is patently illegal iirc.

Not that that would bother Doug though

Then why are you dealing with him?

Im not dealing with him Dan. I get a books sent to me for a friend/boardie.

Believe me, I not dealing with Doug, havent dealt with him in close to 2 years, and will not deal with him again.

(thumbs u

Oh, wait a minute...

:applause:

Oh, wait a minute...

Why is someone an "apologist" if their experiences aren't negative? It's called a different opinion

Oh, wait a minute...

Why is someone an "apologist" if their experiences aren't negative? It's called a different opinion

I'm having deja vu. Didn't we (not you and I specifically but the board) do this song and dance recently?

Perhaps FT wasn't referring simply to you but to people who know for a fact that Doug is a POS and still make excuses for him. B/c I have seen that behavior here, hence the "apologists" comment.

Do you still deal with him? I'm just curious b/c if I didn't doubt that somebody was a POS, I probably wouldn't deal with them simply b/c they hadn't ed me over yet. Just asking.

Oh, wait a minute...

I'm having deja vu. Didn't we (not you and I specifically but the board) do this song and dance recently?

Perhaps FT wasn't referring simply to you but to people who know for a fact that Doug is a POS and still make excuses for him. B/c I have seen that behavior here, hence the "apologists" comment.

There are degrees of unethical and immoral behavior. On the balancing scale of fairness between buyer and seller, some sellers place their thumb on the scale. Others throw their whole body up there; I think we could all come up with the same name of someone who does that as standard operating procedure. What he's accused of should be condemned, but not with the same fervor as the guys sitting on the scales.

Chris,

This might have been better placed in the Pedigree thread, where we've already got loads of examples of 'market manipulation'.

Oh, wait a minute... doh!

Sorry, forgot that that one got locked for no reason whatsoever...other than to keep the gravy train rolling. meh

Well. We can at least post a link to it.

Nice book, though by the time it's been put through the websites of the shenanigan corps multiple times, it'll probably be SCS'd into a 5.0. doh!

Why is there so little being done about shaken comic syndrome in these slabs? A book is carefully preserved for decades, largely by being kept flat and stable. Then, to celebrate and validate its condition, it's put in a container that bends it in the middle and allows it to slide around.

Several times I've gotten slabbed books in the mail and had to go through a foot and a half of bubble wrap to get to it, only to remove the pristine case to find the book inside it might as well have been put in an oversized tupperware container.

If they were to offer hard plastic backing on these things, perhaps they could charge a premium for the slab, and pehaps a few less pristine books would become less pristine by virtue of being slabbed.,

Bob, Steve Borock stated numerous times during his tenure that if someone could come up with a better slab design to manage what we call SCS that they [CGC] would take an interest in it.

I just think that this is the best that anyone has come up with up until now.

Bob, Steve Borock stated numerous times during his tenure that if someone could come up with a better slab design to manage what we call SCS that they [CGC] would take an interest in it.

Comic books are a cheaply-produced, fragile item...it's a tall order to design an enclosure that prevents excessive force from damaging them.

Comic books are a cheaply-produced, fragile item...it's a tall order to design an enclosure that prevents excessive force from damaging them.

Of course.

People think because the book is encased in plastic that it can be thrown across the room, submerged in a pool (true story) or put under a dumbbell that the book should not get harmed.

If the book is handled well and treated well it's generally going to be fine whether inside a slab or not. Consequently, nothing is really insufficiently_thoughtful_person proof and if a slab is packaged and mailed improperly or handled improperly the thing is going to get damaged.

my little company has been accepting credit cards since the early 90's...I have always had a "regular" price, for which any payment applies, and I have always had a cash discount price, because real world, I want to pass the savings onto my customer if they can pay in such a way as to not induce additional costs... now, for sub $100 items, I don't even distinguish, as it is just a minimal cost of doing business...but, for example, if I am selling a $25,000 comic, if a customer wants to pay with CC/paypal, cool... I "net" $24,250 after fees are paid to the bank...so, I am happy to offer a "cash" price of $24,250 to my customer, saving them some $'s... doesn't benefit me one bit, but often times is worthwhile for them

I have found this to be the best way to handle this issue (versus charging, say a "premium" for using a CC with me)

The only major venue I've seen not do that in comics is Heritage. Maybe the credit card companies only try to enforce their policy with high-volume companies? (shrug)

Well, Heritage will give you a 1% discount if you do not use a credit card. Not the full cash back, but meets the customer half way (almost).

Do you still deal with him? I'm just curious b/c if I didn't doubt that somebody was a POS, I probably wouldn't deal with them simply b/c they hadn't ed me over yet. Just asking.

I just bought a book from him last week. Got a good deal on it too. Keep in mind I live locally to him and I also deal with less than the super high grade books. Mostly 8.0s...anyway, I am a trusting person until proven otherwise. I don't buy into Internet hype just because it is posted.

Besides the issues being discussed here aren't items that pertain to anyone being ripped off....it's other issues about reporting of GPA data and relisting books that already sold etc.

Again, not making excuses just posting my experiences which have not been a problem at all.

I know most here prefer not to deal with Doug. I understand. I think he has been quite nice to me so I base my opinions on those facts.

I don't buy into Internet hype just because it is posted.

Are you saying the allegations as to his behavior are pure hype? The evidence I've seen is far more compelling than that...are you sure you're not just dismissing it or never looked at the evidence in the first place?