• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OMG If you thought that Action #1 2.5 was ugly in a scan....

93 posts in this topic

It looked sealed to me. It looks to me like all four corners have the same type of sonic seals that the CGC cases do, only they also put some kind of sticker on both sides of the case. They've even got the same kinds of grooves in the cases so you can stack CGC and CGG cases in a vertical pile on top of each other. Brett said he thinks the CGG plastic is thicker and more durable than CGC's, but I couldn't tell the difference.

If the labels didn't look different between the CGG and CGC cases, 95% of people wouldn't be able to tell them apart. CGG has done an adept job at mimicing CGC's product.

It looked sealed to me. It looks to me like all four corners have the same type of sonic seals that the CGC cases do, only they also put some kind of sticker on both sides of the case. They've even got the same kinds of grooves in the cases so you can stack CGC and CGG cases in a vertical pile on top of each other. Brett said he thinks the CGG plastic is thicker and more durable than CGC's, but I couldn't tell the difference.

If the labels didn't look different between the CGG and CGC cases, 95% of people wouldn't be able to tell them apart. CGG has done an adept job at mimicing CGC's product.

I just threw out some CGG hard cases last week when I broke open some mid-grade books.

They seemed about the same, but I had no side-by-side comparison examples.

Just in case anyone wants to put in a bid...5 hours to go...

Action #1

OH MY GOD !!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd heard it was bad, but that's disgusting.

I want someone to ask Steve Borock how they had the affrontery to call that a 2.5.

And to think he defended his reasoning for grading mine a 1.0

Mine looks FIFTY TIMES better than that.

I will get it scanned in this week just to prove it does.

That's the biggest DISGRACE I've ever seen. It should be a 0.5

The thing that makes me laugh about the Action 1 is that it didn't just get overgraded as a Good but they gave it a PLUS. A Good PLUS.

I think they meant a Poor Minus.

And as for all that mould growing on it, I thought they were joking till I saw the scan.

I think it's called moss.

Great job, CGC.

Being relatively new to the boards, I'm not sure if this has been addressed. Did someone from CGC ever come on here and explain how exactly that qualified for a 2.5? I'm VERY curious.

Again, if CGG had graded it a 2.5 and TdComix had put it up for sale, the roof would've come off these boards.

Now in defense of the book it did look much better later in the afternoon after brett opened the case and gave it a quick shave,....it just had a little 5 o'clock shadow that's all....

sign-funnypost.gif

Personally I think its a 1.5 Fair/Good IMO that chunk is too big to even get a 1.8 G- based on my interpretation of the pictures Ive seen and OS grading guidlines. Now of course CGC may have graded this B4 they stated that they ascribe to OS grading guidlines and used their own rules. What were those again, I forget blush.gif

I was a dealer ast the show yesterday.It was the first show I've done in Richmond in about 7 years.I had some lower grade key Silver age that sold pretty good and alot of $1 books fromt he '70's & '80's.The guy (Brett) told me the Action #1 has been through about 5-6 different dealers.I guess everybody was pushing it off on the other.When I asked what the price was,he told me it's not for sale.Now to see it's on Ebay a few hours later.I guess he was too embarassed to say the price in person.Overall It was a good show.I went up there with 20 long boxes...made $1500 and came back with 38 long boxes!!

Now in defense of the book it did look much better later in the afternoon after brett opened the case and gave it a quick shave,....it just had a little 5 o'clock shadow that's all....

Hehe - Is it my imagination, or does Supes look slightly frightened of the mold sneaking up on him? Maybe he's afraid it's some new virulent form of Kryptonite?

It's really too bad that we have this stigma about PLOD books. Really.

Just taking this Action #1 for example. To seal this book in a holder with this kind of

defect really irritates me. How can you not want to remove mold that is growing on such a rare book surprises me? We talk so much about this rare and important issue but allow it to be eaten alive slowly withought any regard. We thrive on this blue label only for gain but not realize that this art which is so important to this hobby is slowly deteriorating, yet we make jokes about it. With such a defect it is only obvious it should be treated and not ignored. We have to determine soon what is acceptable in this hobby as to what is good restoration and what is bad. And removing mold from a book is GOOD. We all know that this mold will spread and that the book will eventually be destroyed by the elements. Honestly to slab a toxic book is ludicrous and should be treated for the future of this hobby, such as any other book,

or any other artwork which is already accepted in the art industry.

Agreed 100%. And if the book had been given the 0.5 PR to 1.0 FR grade that it deserved, maybe the owner would have had it restored. That false 2.5 G+ grade is as much responsible for the fact that the book hasn't received necessary restoration as the owner's fear is.

Just taking this Action #1 for example. To seal this book in a holder with this kind of

defect really irritates me. How can you not want to remove mold that is growing on such a rare book surprises me? We talk so much about this rare and important issue but allow it to be eaten alive slowly withought any regard. We thrive on this blue label only for gain but not realize that this art which is so important to this hobby is slowly deteriorating, yet we make jokes about it. With such a defect it is only obvious it should be treated and not ignored. We have to determine soon what is acceptable in this hobby as to what is good restoration and what is bad. And removing mold from a book is GOOD. We all know that this mold will spread and that the book will eventually be destroyed by the elements. Honestly to slab a toxic book is ludicrous and should be treated for the future of this hobby, such as any other book,

Hear hear.

Bravo.

Well said.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

And how come Steve Borock hasn't come on here and staunchly defended his grading, like he did with my way undergraded Action 1 ????

Well Ian, I think its because they dropped the ball on this one by a full grade, or maybe more. When ppl with a history of disagreement and personal agendas all agree on something sing in unison makepoint.gif that puppies a POS its truley a beautiful thing on the boards is it not.

Not too thrilled with my book, eh????

And I am to suppose that you are the guy that took a look at the back cover, overall spine wear and color of the pages? How about the gloss check, or the restoration black-light?!?! wasn't you either, huh?

Until you are more familiar with the delicate grading of Golden age books, keep it to the professionals.

Regards,

Brett Carreras