• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mile High ---That's about right!

36 posts in this topic

1) It also underscores how loose his grading is if a CGC 9.6 Goon warrants a mid-three-digit price. That's the expected NM grade for a modern, thus it leads me to doubt his "NM" moderns would grade out at 9.6s

2) I've actually wondered about his financing. How does one value comic book inventory for both bank collateral and tax purposes? I would assume the paper value is far higher than market (replacement) value, but you still couldn't use "mark-to-market" accounting under GAAP, right?

For example, I would be overjoyed if I could use OSPG values on by comic collection as collateral for a bank (or even SBA) loan.

You know, as bad as Chuck's ebay prices are online, I found him somewhat easy to deal with at the Mid Ohio con. :shy:

At first I was put off that non of his books had prices and he wanted to check his iPad to see what to sell at, but I did pick up a very nice (pre-screened at 9.8) UXM #118 for $25. Thought it was a heck 'uva deal (shrug)

1) It also underscores how loose his grading is if a CGC 9.6 Goon warrants a mid-three-digit price. That's the expected NM grade for a modern, thus it leads me to doubt his "NM" moderns would grade out at 9.6s

2) I've actually wondered about his financing. How does one value comic book inventory for both bank collateral and tax purposes? I would assume the paper value is far higher than market (replacement) value, but you still couldn't use "mark-to-market" accounting under GAAP, right?

For example, I would be overjoyed if I could use OSPG values on by comic collection as collateral for a bank (or even SBA) loan.

For bank collateral you need to have the collection appraised by an independant dealer. Most likely the bank would have a guy they usually use and would send you there.

For tax purposes its strictly on the prices bought/sold including shipping and other fees used to calculate cost basis (the same as stocks and broker commissions)

You can use mark-to-market under GAAP, atleast banks can as of a year and a half ago. You would likely be able to use OSPG for values but would need the collection graded by someone independant.

I actually just bought two GA slabs that the'd dramatically lowered in price on eBay. Well under histori gpa for one, and another that I was willing to pay their asking to fill a alley oop run. They even have an all star priced $100+ below last gpa which I was tempted on. It can happen :lol: