• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the Blue Label grade of this book?

39 posts in this topic

I think Arch or Dena should just sticky one of the "I hate high grade Silver Age SS" threads at the top of general so there doesn't need to be one every ten days.

I think they should sticky a thread that says Sean is a whiny-dork at the top as well. Kidding aside. I dont hate HG SA signature books, I do however hate the books that are obvious grabs for cash from suckers. I dont personally think I would want Stan touching that book.

So if it was a 7.0 SS copy (with a signature from the man who actually wrote the book) it would be fine - but a 9.2 SS copy means it's an obvious grab for cash from suckers? Just trying to figure out how this works hm

I think Arch or Dena should just sticky one of the "I hate high grade Silver Age SS" threads at the top of general so there doesn't need to be one every ten days.

I think they should sticky a thread that says Sean is a whiny-dork at the top as well. Kidding aside. I dont hate HG SA signature books, I do however hate the books that are obvious grabs for cash from suckers. I dont personally think I would want Stan touching that book.

(worship)

I think they should sticky a thread with a link to every one of Sean's posts so we can just cut and paste replies in threads when he's not around.

This place just isn't the same without him.

:cry:

So if it was a 7.0 SS copy (with a signature from the man who actually wrote the book) it would be fine - but a 9.2 SS copy means it's an obvious grab for cash from suckers? Just trying to figure out how this works hm

I will never let my secrets be known! :acclaim:

(worship)

I think they should sticky a thread with a link to every one of Sean's posts so we can just cut and paste replies in threads when he's not around.

They should sticky it every time I pwn you, but then they would run out of 1st page real estate.

(worship)

They should sticky it every time I pwn you, but then they would run out of 1st page real estate.

I'm just humble. Don't make me witty. You wouldn't like me when I'm witty.

(worship)

I'm just humble. Don't make me witty. You wouldn't like me when I'm witty.

I don't know if i would like it or not, but i sure would be surprised.

oh come on, it's not like the letterer from power pack 11 signed the book, it's frigging stan lee. sure, stan signs everything under the sun and hasn't really done anything worth a darn in 40+ years, but come on, it's stan lee.

What's the grade of this book if some kid had scribbled his name on it back in the day instead of Stan the Man, 6.0 or so?

Avengers 4 9.2 SS

RADD8C7A2010714_201333.jpg

If somebody had scribbled "1964" on it (as in the White Mountains) it might have gotten a 9.6

Actually, if it were a White Mountain, they would have only scribbled " 64 ".

A 6.0 to a 6.5? Really? If there were no signature on the book at all it would grade a 9.2. So, in essence, you saying that if the signature were generic, it would knock the book down from a 9.2 to a 6.0 at the lowest. I don't believe that at all.

What's the grade of this book if some kid had scribbled his name on it back in the day instead of Stan the Man, 6.0 or so?

Avengers 4 9.2 SS

Might grade a little higher than 6.0 blue because the ink is not as obtrusive as if it was black in on the white cover stock.

I'd say 7.0 range.

Thanks Roy (and all to the folks that answered my question). The Winnipeg analogy is a good one, but that writing isn't nearly as obtrusive as something like this so I could see a 7.0 if a Winnipeg in this shape would get a 9.0 (or even 9.2?).

Sean - thanks for the latitude, this is a real question and one you've helped me on before (by telling me the SS grade is essentially a qualified grade).

oh come on, it's not like the letterer from power pack 11 signed the book, it's frigging stan lee. sure, stan signs everything under the sun and hasn't really done anything worth a darn in 40+ years, but come on, it's stan lee.

Whatever you think Stan has or hasn't done in 40+ years, he did in fact write the book in question.

Avengers 4 9.2 SS

If somebody had scribbled "1964" on it (as in the White Mountains) it might have gotten a 9.6

Actually, if it were a White Mountain, they would have only scribbled " 64 ".

And that wouldn't have affected the grade, as it hasn't on any other white mountain copy. If you wanna complain that writing on a book should impact the grade, why give a wide berth to books like that and zero in on book's signed by the creator?

Years ago, I would've been embarrassed to say I collected comics because comics themselves were considered childish. Now, I am embarrassed to say I collect comics whenever I see the community applying standards that are not only miles away from the logic used in other collectible literature, art, and pop artifacts, but going so far afield it's just plain damn strange.

Avengers 4 9.2 SS

The White Mountain copy is only a 9.2, and one of the few WM's that have Cream to Off White pages. :whistle:

Jim