• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How high will it go? Hulk #181 CGC 9.8 on ebay

132 posts in this topic

JH1 is gone..BANNED ....SHILL...

Oh damn. He was the half of the Frick-n-Frack comedy team that I liked the most. :cry:

Here's a beer for you Dice. 

We can share one one day at a con or something.

I can't believe this book gets as much attention and has attained such value. A cool book for sure...but there are so many of these books around. There isn't a rarity to them and it's also not even the first appearance (Hulk 180).

Just my thoughts as this is one of the grails I don't get. Again, Wolverine is a great character...don't want to offend the fans but perhaps I am unaware of why there is such appeal for this book.

Amazingly...it will only keep going up with 3 days to go...some deep pockets really want this book!

Because it's the "first appearance" of arguably one of the top 10 comic book characters of all time. The fact that you don't appreciate that doesn't drive the market for the book. Wolverine has a huge fan base.

The Hulk 180 argument is laughable, old, and beaten like a ginger stepchild. Take that to the noob forum and give you and your shill arch-nemesis something to bicker over. Better yet, do a search for it and read all the thwarted 180 vs. 181 debates.

Thanks for your typical negative spin post and welcoming warm approach to discussion. I can tell I'm dealing with quite the humanitarian when you bless us with your retort.

Sure, the topic of 180 vs 181 may be old and laughable but then again so are your constant childish taunts.

Regardless of that nonsense, MY OPINION is that this book is way over priced and over hyped. I actually think Wolverine is a top 10 Marvel character. Just not deserving of the hype and value this one book receives. Regardess of my opinion (and you are right about that...my opinion won't change the market)...my guess is the book closes just shy of 17k.

Have a good day Dice. Oh and the other guy is right...your avatar doesn't get old. :golfclap:

Apparently you just don't know how to take me yet, so I'll let you feel like I'm badgering you as long as you choose to. I'll continue to take it easy so's not to scare you off.

Please feel free to add some of your untapped perspicacious insight on the topic. Saying "No sir, I don't like it" forces us to extrapolate from your lack of follow through.

Translation: Put up or shut up. (said in a joking manner as not to frighten the noob) :foryou:

Thanks and that's fair...btw you won't scare me off

I guess the reason I feel it shouldn't be worth that much money is to compare it to any other first appearance during that time frame. The book is quite plentiful in numbers compared to most silver keys. Either way like I said it's a great comic and cover. Just because I don't get it doesn't mean anything....obviously there is quite a demand for this comic.

If Spidey's first appearance was in 1974, I'd expect similar prices. Likewise, if Wolverine's was in 1962, I'd expect his first appearance to be at Spidey prices.

They both have huge fan bases. The fact that there are 100 copies of Hulk 181 for every copy of AF 15 keeps the price at lower levels. If his first appearance was in Son of Satan 12, it would be worth significantly more than the same appearance in Hulk 181 because the supply would be much lower.

Oh damn. He was the half of the Frick-n-Frack comedy team that I liked the most. :cry:

You're not the first to offer. It's usually with a side order of knuckle sandwich.

You're not the first to offer. It's usually with a side order of knuckle sandwich.

lol

I can't believe this book gets as much attention and has attained such value. A cool book for sure...but there are so many of these books around. There isn't a rarity to them and it's also not even the first appearance (Hulk 180).

Just my thoughts as this is one of the grails I don't get. Again, Wolverine is a great character...don't want to offend the fans but perhaps I am unaware of why there is such appeal for this book.

Amazingly...it will only keep going up with 3 days to go...some deep pockets really want this book!

Because it's the "first appearance" of arguably one of the top 10 comic book characters of all time. The fact that you don't appreciate that doesn't drive the market for the book. Wolverine has a huge fan base.

The Hulk 180 argument is laughable, old, and beaten like a ginger stepchild. Take that to the noob forum and give you and your shill arch-nemesis something to bicker over. Better yet, do a search for it and read all the thwarted 180 vs. 181 debates.

Thanks for your typical negative spin post and welcoming warm approach to discussion. I can tell I'm dealing with quite the humanitarian when you bless us with your retort.

Sure, the topic of 180 vs 181 may be old and laughable but then again so are your constant childish taunts.

Regardless of that nonsense, MY OPINION is that this book is way over priced and over hyped. I actually think Wolverine is a top 10 Marvel character. Just not deserving of the hype and value this one book receives. Regardess of my opinion (and you are right about that...my opinion won't change the market)...my guess is the book closes just shy of 17k.

Have a good day Dice. Oh and the other guy is right...your avatar doesn't get old. :golfclap:

Apparently you just don't know how to take me yet, so I'll let you feel like I'm badgering you as long as you choose to. I'll continue to take it easy so's not to scare you off.

Please feel free to add some of your untapped perspicacious insight on the topic. Saying "No sir, I don't like it" forces us to extrapolate from your lack of follow through.

Translation: Put up or shut up. (said in a joking manner as not to frighten the noob) :foryou:

I guess the reason I feel it shouldn't be worth that much money is to compare it to any other first appearance during that time frame. The book is quite plentiful in numbers compared to most silver keys. Either way like I said it's a great comic and cover. Just because I don't get it doesn't mean anything....obviously there is quite a demand for this comic.

If Spidey's first appearance was in 1974, I'd expect similar prices. Likewise, if Wolverine's was in 1962, I'd expect his first appearance to be at Spidey prices.

They both have huge fan bases. The fact that there are 100 copies of Hulk 181 for every copy of AF 15 keeps the price at lower levels. If his first appearance was in Son of Satan 12, it would be worth significantly more than the same appearance in Hulk 181 because the supply would be much lower.

What if both characters debuted in 1990? Who would be number 1 and what would the value be? hm

:grin:

What if both characters debuted in 1990? Who would be number 1 and what would the value be? hm

:grin:

A: Sisk...Boom...Baah

Q: What sound does an exploding sheep make?

johnny-carson-carnak.jpg

I'll take 1 Dice over 10,000 newbs any day.

Not that there aren't good newbs..there are...but Dice is still worth 10,000 of them.

And we nearly lost him last year, too.... :eek:

8 months ago to the day. (thumbs u

I think I would go with Wolvie for the #1 slot.

If kids in 1990 got to pick between a nerdy "spider...kid" or a tough guy, who smokes cigars and has metal claws come out of his hands.......I would surmise most would be drawn to the latter. Maybe parents would lean more towards Spidey due to Wolvie's persona, thus dictating more Spidey sales. (shrug)

I hope your ticker's doing better these days. (thumbs u

I went to the doc a few weeks ago and still have one 60% blockage, but my circulation is good and I'm not having any pain. As long as I keep taking my meds, keep my cholesterol down and can lose some weight, he doesn't think I'll have any problem with it for a long time.

Since he knows exactly what's going on with it, he thinks he can keep an eye on it well enough to keep me alive.

On that note, I need to do more exercise and lose some weight. I lost 40 pounds after surgery and have put a good 20 back on. :cry:

I went to the doc a few weeks ago and still have one 60% blockage, but my circulation is good and I'm not having any pain. As long as I keep taking my meds, keep my cholesterol down and can lose some weight, he doesn't think I'll have any problem with it for a long time.

Since he knows exactly what's going on with it, he thinks he can keep an eye on it well enough to keep me alive.

On that note, I need to do more exercise and lose some weight. I lost 40 pounds after surgery and have put a good 20 back on. :cry:

Try lots of walking and water. I lost 40 pounds doing that strategy 5 years ago, went from a 44 inch waist to a 32 inch waist,it took me about 6 months time frame.

good luck in your quest. :wishluck:

Try lots of walking and water. I lost 40 pounds doing that strategy 5 years ago, went from a 44 inch waist to a 32 inch waist,it took me about 6 months time frame.

That's exactly what I did several years ago. I worked up to the point I was walking 10 miles a day, at least 5 days a week. I got down to 155 lbs and didn't have an ounce of fat on me. I looked like I needed a sandwich.

That's exactly what I did several years ago. I worked up to the point I was walking 10 miles a day, at least 5 days a week. I got down to 155 lbs and didn't have an ounce of fat on me. I looked like I needed a sandwich.

That`s basically all you got to do, my friends would ask for advice on how I did it,they couldn`t believe it was that simple,that it had to be more complicated then that so they always go buy a whole bunch of weights,diet pills and expensive memberships to health clubs only to quit 30 days later and still be overweight. :frustrated:

But 10 miles at a quick 20 minute mile is 200 minutes of walking pretty much every day. Where do you fit nearly 3 1/2 hours of walking in?

But 10 miles at a quick 20 minute mile is 200 minutes of walking pretty much every day. Where do you fit nearly 3 1/2 hours of walking in?

Split it up,Don`t walk the 10 miles straight, do 5 and 5 miles during different intervals during the day.. I would suggest buying a step counter to count your steps. (thumbs u

My bet is that there will be one more bid as the current high bidder is probably a shill/friend and waiting for the end for someone to actually win the book.

Seller is A-1 Comics. They have a stellar reputation and, IMHO, would never shill one of their auctions. They do enough business in high-end books (and everything else comic-related) that they really don't need to.

And in the interests of full disclosure: A-1 is my LCS, but many others here have spoken highly of them.

My bet is that there will be one more bid as the current high bidder is probably a shill/friend and waiting for the end for someone to actually win the book.

Seller is A-1 Comics. They have a stellar reputation and, IMHO, would never shill one of their auctions. They do enough business in high-end books (and everything else comic-related) that they really don't need to.

And in the interests of full disclosure: A-1 is my LCS, but many others here have spoken highly of them.

I'll vouch for Brian Peets. A-1 comics is a class act who does a ton of business with high grade Silver and Bronze books. His reputation sells his books...and he's not my LCS.

(thumbs u

The only way I could get to 155 pounds is if I chopped off a leg or have been dead for about 5 weeks.