• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My EBAY Nightmare

596 posts in this topic

Not only did the program function correctly when counting down the remaining time, but also in vetting prospective bids and requiring additional documentation from bidders and throwing out those bids when they ultimately were not executed in time.

As some additional backing to this idea: there was a post I made but ultimately deleted in which I pointed out that if you view the auction results, the winning bidder placed his bid 16 seconds before the end of the auction, and another bidder tried to snipe him at 10 seconds before the end. So the auction seemed to function correctly all the way to the finish; some people were able to bid without a problem.

I wondered where that post went, mystery solved. Why did you delete it ? (it was good)

The auction functioned correctly for people bidding below $15000. You are offering nothing by pointing out the bid history. We only see the bids that went through.

It was deleted because it was not relevant.

Okay, I don't want to conclude my participation in this thread on a down note, so I'll throw this out there:

How many sellers reading this thread and selling HV books on ebay will add a line in their description alerting potential bidders and snipers of the $15k verification speedbump?

If I were selling those kind of books, I'd certainly do it. It'll give snipers the heads up to get their ducks in order before trying to snipe at the end.

I'm idly wondering how many snipers over the years have been shut out because of this.

I'll repost this as it may have been overlooked in the hoopla (as opposed to being ignored because it's stupid):

Does it seem strange that there were a handful of unverified buyers throwing $15,000+ bids out, right at the auction close?

If they'd made bids like that previously, they'd already have known they had to be verified. If they were new eBay users, it seems strange they'd know how to try and snipe an auction.

Don't take it the wrong way; I believe the seller's story. Enough long time forum members have given him a glowing recommendation, I'm convinced he must be A-ok.

But doesn't that seem strange, or am I missing something here?

But doesn't that seem strange, or am I missing something here?

In my experience as both a buyer and a seller, the largest bids get sniped in at the end.

I don't find it strange at all.

(shrug)

The auction functioned correctly for people bidding below $15000. You are offering nothing by pointing out the bid history. We only see the bids that went through.

Actually, you have no idea why it was deleted, since I'm the one who deleted it.

I wiped it because it seems kind of pointless to keep "litigating the case". Those who keep speaking of an "ebay glitch" are getting backed into a corner, because the conditions under which that glitch can happen are getting stricter and stricter. I think most people can see that, and it does no good to keep beating everyone else about the head in order to prove it (to the extent such a thing can be proven from our outside perspective.).

Pointing out the bid history is relevant, because it shows that the auction site was functioning properly at the end of the auction.

If proponents of the "glitch" theory can point to some real evidence that something happened, by all means, do so. Because all they really have offered is the testimony of 2 disgruntled bidders and 2 clueless ebay reps.

It would be entirely different if you could say "look at the bidding history, no one bid in the last 3 minutes, that seems odd for a book of such high interest" and combine that with the testimony. That would be something to investigate. But that's not what we have.

If proponents of the "glitch" theory can point to some real evidence that something happened, by all means, do so. Because all they really have offered is the testimony of 2 disgruntled bidders and 2 clueless ebay reps.

I find it odd that you keep calling the eBay employees clueless. Does that mean that every employee of a corporation is clueless if they don't give us an answer that we want?

(shrug)

Calling them clueless is a little harsh considering they are sitting somewhere in front of a computer doing their jobs AND telling the OP that they can see that there were bids that should have registered that didn't register.

Since eBay has had a precedent of having software issues of all kinds over the past decade why is it so difficult to believe that it happened here, especially after several people both from inside eBay (employees) AND outside of eBay (clients including potential bidders and the seller) have agreed that there seems to be a problem with the software?

All evidence points to the software messing up and nothing to the contrary unless we want to start guessing if people (both eBay employees, seller and the obscured bidders) are clueless or making things up.

I see no other point that over rides the single most important fact that eBay software messed up.

I keep seeing a lot of talk about the verification process holding people's snipes up. Is this the same issue as the "time outs" I swear I saw mentioned?

Somewhere I thought I read that people hit the bid button and then nothing happened, their bids just "timed out". That sounds like a glitch to me.

I find it odd that you keep calling the eBay employees clueless. Does that mean that every employee of a corporation is clueless if they don't give us an answer that we want?

(shrug)

Calling them clueless is a little harsh considering they are sitting somewhere in front of a computer doing their jobs AND telling the OP that they can see that there were bids that should have registered that didn't register.

Since eBay has had a precedent of having software issues of all kinds over the past decade why is it so difficult to believe that it happened here, especially after several people both from inside eBay (employees) AND outside of eBay (clients including potential bidders and the seller) have agreed that there seems to be a problem with the software?

All evidence points to the software messing up and nothing to the contrary unless we want to start guessing if people (both eBay employees, seller and the obscured bidders) are clueless or making things up.

I see no other point that over rides the single most important fact that eBay software messed up.

I don't disagree on the possibility of glitches, but why now on just on this auction, Roy? I know when we had eBay "glitches" before, that it was all over the web with people yelling.

As for the person on the chat giving the wrong information...unfortunately, that does happen...how do *I* know? I was a call center manager for 6 years at a stressful call center...No matter how much you train people, unfortunately, they get confused and stressed just like everyone else. They do give out confusing/misleading and conflicting information at times...not ALL the time, but it's probably more prevalent than software glitches that affect one auction. Humans get confused more often than computers.

I keep seeing a lot of talk about the verification process holding people's snipes up. Is this the same issue as the "time outs" I swear I saw mentioned?

Somewhere I thought I read that people hit the bid button and then nothing happened, their bids just "timed out". That sounds like a glitch to me.

Here is the post that discusses this:

One thing I was wandering you said people e-mailed you and said they were trying to bid on the book but it wouldn't let them. Did e-bay show anything to prove this in there system.

Ebay did confirm that one bidder (who would have actually been the high bidder) did get his bid in on time but it would not register. They also confirmed that other bidders were timed out by requests for information. They also confirmed that these bidders, by their own policies, should not have been required to verify anything. The requirement was for bidders without checking accounts, credit cards, addresses (etc.) on file.

Their basic response was: "Well, that's just too bad for you."

Seems there were two different fails.

1) bids in on time but didn't register on the site

2) bidders timed out by requests for information but these bidders were not supposed to have been required to verify anything.

I don't disagree on the possibility of glitches, but why now on just on this auction, Roy? I know when we had eBay "glitches" before, that it was all over the web with people yelling.

Well, I suppose you'd have a case with any auction if you could show that there was some form of failure that affected the results of the auction.

In this particular case you have an eBay employee (or several) admitting to multiple problems.

I guess that's reason enough to pursue it for most, although at this point is just an exercise since the outcome has been decided.

(shrug)

Sweet, sweet sugar......

homer+drool+2.gif

"First you get de sugar...den you get de power...den you get de women...."

Now your just being an . Or more of the same.

Are you gonna make raspberries noises and go Nyahh Nyahh next?

Pssst...Shooty...it's called "recognizing that everything's already been explained, exhaustively, and there's nothing more to be said.to that person that will produce any worthwhile result."

Why aren't people getting on Pmack's case for continuing to drag it out, after he said he would no longer reply...?

That one's easy: cause it's not the argument they don't like...it's me. ;)

Ya just can't win, can ya...?

lol

blah blah blah

That is awesome. As I went to reply to your post, you edited the final line out of your last post, which said something like: "I've already replied, read the thread, I'm not typing it again."

I planned to ask you to just post a link to it, because we both know it's not there.

I think this concludes this discussion, with your tacit admission that you've got nothing. Last word to you, champ.

It's already been explained, Macky. It's all there in this thread. I'm not going to hold your hand and point it out. It's all there, and it's all been explained.

Stating that in the context of that jab at you would have looked like I was still carrying on....which, of course, you've now successfully baited me into doing. ;)

Can you let it go yet...?

:luhv:

If I were a juror, I would vote VALID AUCTION - NO GLITCH! Just a lame-brained ebay rep giving wrong information.

If you and I were both jurors, I'd not only avoid a hung jury, I'd have you convinced that eBay purposely stopped bidders from bidding just so Jeffles could monitor this discussion.

lol

I'm pretty persuasive when it comes down to it. ;)

Not only did the program function correctly when counting down the remaining time, but also in vetting prospective bids and requiring additional documentation from bidders and throwing out those bids when they ultimately were not executed in time.

As some additional backing to this idea: there was a post I made but ultimately deleted in which I pointed out that if you view the auction results, the winning bidder placed his bid 16 seconds before the end of the auction, and another bidder tried to snipe him at 10 seconds before the end. So the auction seemed to function correctly all the way to the finish; some people were able to bid without a problem.

I wondered where that post went, mystery solved. Why did you delete it ? (it was good)

Bli. Zzam.

All of this verbal pillow fighting just because I told the OP I tried to bid $17K one millionth of a second before the auction ended and my dial up connection on a 28k modem based in the UK couldn't get through in time. doh!

Still, I'm sure I'll get another chance when he re-lists the book on Ebay :whee:

If I were a juror, I would vote VALID AUCTION - NO GLITCH! Just a lame-brained ebay rep giving wrong information.

If you and I were both jurors, I'd not only avoid a hung jury, I'd have you convinced that eBay purposely stopped bidders from bidding just so Jeffles could monitor this discussion.

lol

No, you are not :baiting:

(shrug)

:cloud9:

lol

You've never met me in person. I avoided a hung jury last year and sent a gang member to prison for 25 to life. (thumbs u

lol

You've never met me in person. I avoided a hung jury last year and sent a gang member to prison for 25 to life. (thumbs u

Are you Henry Fonda?