• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My EBAY Nightmare

596 posts in this topic

I think part of the problem may be that John is a known whiner and very anal about things, above and beyond what regular people would consider anal (packaging anyone?). I am not at all saying he's lying, but people may not feel sympathetic towards his plight for these reasons.

hm

You know, it's funny how we view people in life. 1,000 different posters could say something, and I'll happily dismiss it all. You say something, and it gives me pause. Just goes to show the weight you carry in my book.

;)

:hi:

since people are saying with they might have done if they were the buyer might as well

me i would have cursed at the seller too BUT only after being nice and polite still lost me the book (parting shot type thing)

but you don't open talks by cursing at the person

from the bidders pov he won the book, wether the seller had problems with ebay is not his problem (sry to say but i would looked at it this way too)

The buyer did not curse the OP until the OP told him he cancelled his payment...he should not have used such language, but by then it really didn't matter and it was his parting shot.

I'm nobody, and I have no agenda. I've been reading these boards for years and have never really been interested in entering conversations because never felt I could add to them. In this case I had knowledge about ebay's policies that were absent from the thread.

Notice I haven't asked YOUR agenda. You know why? Because I know your agenda hasn't got anything to to with this problem. Your agenda is simply to argue with people for as long as they are willing to go around with you. It's my own fault for returning to this thread over and over, but you have made me sorry I posted in the first place.

No dog in this fight, but you've debated thoughtfully & I've enjoyed your posts & perspective. Hope you'll stick around. (thumbs u

Wow I'm sorry I missed this over the weekend! I was watching a lot of these auctions and was surprised at some of the low bids. However I thought he got some good prices on a lot of books too.

If I was the OP, I'd have done the exact same thing he did. I would have felt really bad about it, but at the end of the day the buyer isn't out anything but a little frustration at not getting a "good deal". On every auction I've missed out on because my internet crashed or whatever, I've always come back and found the same book for around the same price - this guy will too.

TempusFugitivus, I liked your X-Men books! I missed them the first time around on the selling forum, but I'd be happy to take a hard look if you post them over there again (thumbs u

I'm nobody, and I have no agenda. I've been reading these boards for years and have never really been interested in entering conversations because never felt I could add to them. In this case I had knowledge about ebay's policies that were absent from the thread.

Notice I haven't asked YOUR agenda. You know why? Because I know your agenda hasn't got anything to to with this problem. Your agenda is simply to argue with people for as long as they are willing to go around with you. It's my own fault for returning to this thread over and over, but you have made me sorry I posted in the first place.

No dog in this fight, but you've debated thoughtfully & I've enjoyed your posts & perspective. Hope you'll stick around. (thumbs u

meh

meh

Now all this does is indicate you show nothing but derision for a person as opposed to merely disagreeing with them.

Is that your purpose for the voluminous debate? To browbeat?

Surely you can do better than a "whatevah" emoticon.

Both of you are really kind of kicking a dead horse now. Points have been made.

This ain't the truth. You know how I know it's not? You know how I know that, in your heart of hearts, you don't really believe what you've just said? Because you follow it up with this statement, not more than a few sentences below:

The whole reason I posted in the first place is because he wronged the legitimate winner, and he wants the bidder to have sympathy for him and just abandon the win. And his excuse for wronging this bidder is this imaginary 'ebay glitch'. If you don't want to sell the book for a lower price to a bidder, just own the damned decision.

Jesus, just stop it. This isn't very complicated unless you're trying to be willfully obtuse. Seller was OK with the auction results (well, not really, but he accepted them) until he heard from other bidders. This is the turning point. Once he had it in his head that there was an "ebay glitch", he couldn't see anything else, and in his mind, ebay screwed him out of money.

Are you kidding? Really, is this some big candid camera posting you're doing?

"Jesus, just stop it?"

Catch the clue, Pmack: you're desperately trying to come off as the calm and rational poster, who is clearly arguing against some sort of insane madman who just doesn't see the "truth" that is plainly and clearly in front of him, when in reality, you're just arguing an opinion for which you have no proof.

So can the hand to the forehead melodrama, alright?

It really isn't that complicated, unless you're trying to be willfully obtuse. Seller was OK with the auction results until he heard from other bidders that they tried to bid and were blocked from doing so by eBay.. The seller accepted the sale until he found out that other, legitimate bids didn't go through, and when he did further research, was told by eBay that the bids were, in fact, legitimate. That's when he had a problem.

Simple.

What I have been saying all along is that the ebay glitch is SOP, and is not a glitch.

Needless redundancy. No one is disputing that you've made this argument. They're disputing the merit of that argument.

Go back and read the OP posts... he says that a person with several thousand feedbacks shouldn't need to verify (and I'm paraphrasing here, Mr Pedantic).

Irony, thy name is Pmack.

It illustrates he doesn't understand what the verify process is designed to do or how it works. All he knows is that some bidders were unable to bid due to something with ebay. In short, his claims of an ebay glitch are almost entirely due to his ignorance of the process.

Once he's got the idea in his head that ebay screwed him, he approaches the bidder and essentially tells him the auction's invalid. The OP is not acting in bad faith, just ignorance.

Just PROVE that assertion. That's all I've asked you to do, and you've ignored it for multple posts.

It can't be "proven" and you know it, any more than what you're on about can be "proven". What we have is probable explanatory scenarios to which we can apply Occam's Razor. One of us has defined a scenario that can satisfy the irregularities, and the other is you.

You can say that all you wish....saying it over and over and over again won't make it any less false. At this point, we HAVE reached a stalemate, because neither you nor I have introduced new material into the discussion.

Who are you?

What's YOUR agenda in this?

I'm nobody, and I have no agenda.

Which isn't true, or you wouldn't be arguing this fiercely..but go on...

I've been reading these boards for years and have never really been interested in entering conversations because never felt I could add to them. In this case I had knowledge about ebay's policies that were absent from the thread.

Um...what "knowledge" would that be...?

lol

I've made no secret on this board of my willingness to DEBATE people, and I'll debate anyone for as long as they or I have interest in the topic. It's nearly always people like you who turn it into an argument by getting angry because someone won't just buy in to your position. You already stated you "weren't going to reply to me directly", and yet you couldn't even do that.

Doesn't say much for your credibility, does it..? Or am I just THAT compelling that you feel you MUST respond...?

It...always...takes...two...to...argue.

Always.

If you can't handle a discussion without getting angry and making it personal, you shouldn't be having them.

So you can do the sighs, the eyerolls, the back of the hand to the forehead, and whatever other melodramatic nonsense you can come up with to desperately try and paint me as "the one who won't let it go" all you want.

But you are just as guilty as I for "dragging it out", and moreso: you are making it personal. So...be the "better man" than I am, and drop it...can you?

(thumbs u

meh

Now all this does is indicate you show nothing but derision for a person as opposed to merely disagreeing with them.

Guess you've never heard of "context" and "subtext."

Is that your purpose for the voluminous debate? To browbeat?

Nope. I like to debate. Nothing more. Nothing less. Some people fish. Some people play board games. I debate. :cloud9:

What's Pmack's purpose for the voluminous debate...?

Surely you can do better than a "whatevah" emoticon.

Nah, that pretty much said what I needed to say.

(thumbs u

This discussion isn't about me in any way, yet it's now...once more...becoming about me.

Can you folks just NOT argue the topic...?

No dog in this fight, but you've debated thoughtfully & I've enjoyed your posts & perspective. Hope you'll stick around.

Thanks. I've been reading these boards for years, but to be honest, I read posts for information, so I don't usually follow threads for dozens of pages, as they usually degenerate into nonsense. Like this thread, for instance.

There are some posters I recognize from earlier threads and always like reading their posts. (The greatest thread I have ever read on here is the MPFW thread from last year, and the greatest post was when r1970d posted pics of his unslabbed copy. Hell, that may have been the greatest post in the history of the internet.)

And there are other unnamed cretins who I had never encountered before but will do my best to avoid in the way one becomes acutely aware of dog droppings after stepping in one barefoot for the first time.

No dog in this fight, but you've debated thoughtfully & I've enjoyed your posts & perspective. Hope you'll stick around.

Thanks. I've been reading these boards for years, but to be honest, I read posts for information, so I don't usually follow threads for dozens of pages, as they usually degenerate into nonsense. Like this thread, for instance.

There are some posters I recognize from earlier threads and always like reading their posts. (The greatest thread I have ever read on here is the MPFW thread from last year, and the greatest post was when r1970d posted pics of his unslabbed copy. Hell, that may have been the greatest post in the history of the internet.)

And there are other unnamed cretins who I had never encountered before but will do my best to avoid in the way one becomes acutely aware of dog droppings after stepping in one barefoot for the first time.

lol

Anytime you're up for a discussion on any topic, Pmack, I'll be happy to indulge you.

Just try to save the holier-than-thou, it's-not-me, it's-you act. No one's buying it.

(thumbs u

One other point for RMA. It is presumptuous to dissect another posters position with the liberal use of "False", when you are truly only stating your own opinion which may be just as False.

You are absolutely correct.

That's why I don't do it.

So I'm not quite sure why this point was for me... :shrug:

I only use the word "false" when something is demonstrably proven, through evidence, to actually be false.

False

Or is it in fact TRUE that the auction completed successfully, when that is the very thing we're debating...? If there's debate, it clearly did not end successfully, did it..? Or is it just my OPINION that it didn't end successfully...?

Just because we are debating it, does not mean that the auction did not end successfully. I guarantee if your were to take ebay to court their lawyer would claim that it functioned flawlessly, regardless of what some CS phone rep stated.

Or is it in fact TRUE that there is no PROOF that both bidders and eBay stated there were problems bidding, when the OP directly testified to those facts (testimony is a form of proof...a pretty powerful one)...? Or is it just my OPINION that the OP made that claim...?

Of course the OP claimed there were problems bidding, but that was not where you stated "False". Here is the Pmack quote:

Then you have speculation: Some bidders, absent of any actual PROOF, claim to have tried to bid higher than the winner. It is understood that these last-second snipers got hung up on an ebay rule of which they were unaware. Some claimed, absent of any actual PROOF, that they ran through ebay's gauntlet and were still denied.

This statement is clearly an opinion that Pmack is floating, albeit with a decent argument behind it. Why should his opinion matter any less than anyone else's?

Although I don't particularly agree with the wording of Pmack's statement and by no means is this truly "understood", it is clear that additional official bids were not recognized before the auction expired. Regardless of bidder's claims otherwise, additional bids were not accepted. This incontrovertible fact leads me to believe that although a CS rep might have said something along the lines of "wow, these guys should have been able to bid on that", it is likely that the OP interpreted the statement to mean "eBay improperly prevented bidders from placing official bids on my auction". Additionally there is a very significant chance that the CS rep was misinformed. The simple explanation is usually the right one and when all is said and done, it is far more likely that the auction process functioned properly.

Seriously. Do your research before presuming to correct someone next time.

Seriously. Just state things for what they are. Your opinions.

I'm sure tears are being shed all over the community right now. :eyeroll: