• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My EBAY Nightmare

596 posts in this topic

Why not allow him to buy it on eBay with a buy it now at the price you both agree to?

eBay hasn't done anything to deserve a red cent for a completed transaction in this case.

Well, actually, if the bidder found him on eBay...they kind of did...but I was thinking more that it was a way for the buyer to feel more comfortable.

Well, actually, if the bidder found him on eBay...they kind of did...but I was thinking more that it was a way for the buyer to feel more comfortable.

If he did feel more comfortable, it'd be a total illusion. E-Bay provides no useful protection on a sale this large, which is why few people use them for books of this caliber.

IN RESPONSE TO FOULED BIDDER ALSO WITH FIREFOX:

Same situation here; I know it wasn't either my MAC PRO or FIREFOX VIA VERIZON FIOS.

Did you have a situation bidding above 10G or several tabs open simultaneously?

I NEVER have had this happen with any other venue...

The thing that really got me was the bit with the link confirmation phone call;

How could EBAY go to that length & still not have the technology to register my bid?!?

According to TempusFugitivus,the first answer/excuse EBay's crack-tech-team had was

that I hadn't a long enough HISTORY or I didn't have a linked account or something vaguely

improper with my account. VERY ODD, AS I HAVE NOTHING IMPROPER [that was confirmed in my own post-auction chat with EBAY. 100% FB with 340 transactions on my linked,verified account. Embarrassingly enough, this cannot be attributed to outsourcing...

To further weight this matter; TempusFugitivus [A.K.A.John ] stated he had FIVE BIDDERS

EMAIL HIM WITH THE SAME ISSUE! VERY discouraging....

If he did feel more comfortable, it'd be a total illusion. E-Bay provides no useful protection on a sale this large, which is why few people use them for books of this caliber.

Yes, but apparently he felt comfortable bidding there the first time...hence my suggestion.

I know if's fashionable to bash eBay now, and I keep saying, I don't love them as much as I used to...but they do serve certain purposes...and for those purposes, they still work well.

I'll bet that 90 out of a 100 buyers at least know about eBay, but maybe 15 out of 100 know about Comic Link.

There have been mentions of two possibilities in this thread.

1) a software virus or malware creating a fake eBay registration window

2) a software glitch within eBay itself.

IN RESPONSE TO FOULED BIDDER ALSO WITH FIREFOX:

Same situation here; I know it wasn't either my MAC PRO or FIREFOX VIA VERIZON FIOS.

Did you have a situation bidding above 10G or several tabs open simultaneously?

I NEVER have had this happen with any other venue...

The thing that really got me was the bit with the link confirmation phone call;

How could EBAY go to that length & still not have the technology to register my bid?!?

According to TempusFugitivus,the first answer/excuse EBay's crack-tech-team had was

that I hadn't a long enough HISTORY or I didn't have a linked account or something vaguely

improper with my account. VERY ODD, AS I HAVE NOTHING IMPROPER [that was confirmed in my own post-auction chat with EBAY. 100% FB with 340 transactions on my linked,verified account. Embarrassingly enough, this cannot be attributed to outsourcing...

To further weight this matter; TempusFugitivus [A.K.A.John ] stated he had FIVE BIDDERS

EMAIL HIM WITH THE SAME ISSUE! VERY discouraging....

Well, welcome to the boards, and may I ask what your eBay ID is? I don't seem to see the one you are using here, listed.

According to TempusFugitivus,the first answer/excuse EBay's crack-tech-team had was that I hadn't a long enough HISTORY or I didn't have a linked account or something vaguely improper with my account. VERY ODD, AS I HAVE NOTHING IMPROPER [that was confirmed in my own post-auction chat with EBAY. 100% FB with 340 transactions on my linked,verified account.

As has been mentioned earlier in this thread, the ebay reps were clowns, and they did not provide the correct information.

It sounds a lot like you really did get hosed. Do you mind answering a few questions about what exactly happened to you? I'd like to see the parameters of what happened defined.

1) Verification is required when bidding over $15k. It's a one-time process, so once you've completed it, you never need to do it again. Also, any other accounts you have that can be linked to the account you're verifying seem to be auto-verified as well. Verification requests have nothing to do with feedback scores or numbers; it's solely the bid amount that triggers it. Have you ever bid over $15k before, or do you have other accounts that may have bid that much before?

2) How much time was left in the auction when you originally bid? How much time was left when you completed verification and then tried to bid?

3) What exactly happened when you made your post-verification bid? Did ebay reject your bid, or did the site not complete the bid process (a situation where you place the bid and the site hangs)?

Hope you don't mind the questions.

Why not allow him to buy it on eBay with a buy it now at the price you both agree to?

eBay hasn't done anything to deserve a red cent for a completed transaction in this case.

What about a brown cent...?

I think I can even dig up a few green cents from the bottom of the pool...

According to TempusFugitivus,the first answer/excuse EBay's crack-tech-team had was that I hadn't a long enough HISTORY or I didn't have a linked account or something vaguely improper with my account. VERY ODD, AS I HAVE NOTHING IMPROPER [that was confirmed in my own post-auction chat with EBAY. 100% FB with 340 transactions on my linked,verified account.

As has been mentioned earlier in this thread, the ebay reps were clowns, and they did not provide the correct information.

It sounds a lot like you really did get hosed. Do you mind answering a few questions about what exactly happened to you? I'd like to see the parameters of what happened defined.

1) Verification is required when bidding over $15k. It's a one-time process, so once you've completed it, you never need to do it again. Also, any other accounts you have that can be linked to the account you're verifying seem to be auto-verified as well. Verification requests have nothing to do with feedback scores or numbers; it's solely the bid amount that triggers it. Have you ever bid over $15k before, or do you have other accounts that may have bid that much before?

2) How much time was left in the auction when you originally bid? How much time was left when you completed verification and then tried to bid?

3) What exactly happened when you made your post-verification bid? Did ebay reject your bid, or did the site not complete the bid process (a situation where you place the bid and the site hangs)?

Hope you don't mind the questions.

+1.

Would love more insight.

I would also appreciate a few good references from my comrades. The rest of you savages can have your fun.

You've been an awesome customer JR.

(thumbs u

Although trucking all those boxes of slabs to the Post Office can be a PITA.

lol

Hello neighbah!

My ebay handle is KITDHAWAN49,; Loosely [very loosely!] based on a tribe of Indians up here in

X-MEN-LAND.

Feel very safe doing business with tempus...good people,and you have nothing to worry about with an off-Ebay transaction thru this venue...stick around.

First off; I share your enthusiasm for WOW comics!

Glad to answer your queries;

#1 (Aside from sloppier,early-days on EBAY where an extra digit put me above 15Gs;) NO.

#2 My bid was placed within the last minute [less than 30 seconds] & the verification

had not been completed by auction's end.

#3 Verification was successful, but the bid did not appear in the auction history.

If the process was completed after THE END, shouldn't it have logged regardless?

It was approximately 15 seconds [or less] post-auction...

I know if's fashionable to bash eBay now, and I keep saying, I don't love them as much as I used to...but they do serve certain purposes...and for those purposes, they still work well.

I'll bet that 90 out of a 100 buyers at least know about eBay, but maybe 15 out of 100 know about Comic Link.[/color]

I'd agree with your stats for the average comic book, but Amazing Spider-Man #1 in CGC 8.0 condition doesn't have an average pool of buyers, nor do any of the higher-dollar books that don't make sense to sell on E-Bay. I'd estimate 90% of the pool knows about E-Bay and about 75% of it knows about ComicLink, Pedigree, and/or Heritage.

And I'm not being fashionable in bashing E-Bay...I've been doing it for about a decade now! :banana: And by "bashing" I mean just pointing out the obvious, that they don't offer any protection to make you feel good about spending more than about $1K on an item through their site, because they absolutely, positively do not, nor have they ever. The reason these high-dollar sales do usually work out is simply because most people are fortunately honest. :)