• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My EBAY Nightmare

596 posts in this topic

I'm confused on a key point here.

Ebay has, according to two different sources here, 1) said that it is the POLICY of ebay to ask for verification on bids of over $10,000, etc. and 2) said that it was a spyware program that caused the problem....

So which is it?

Isn't this the most important point of all of this?

Did an actual mistake in the bidding process happen?

And if so, HOW? And by Whom?

No offense to the seller, he sounds like a stand up guy, but the responses from ebay thus far are inconsistent. Until we know for sure WHAT happened, or even IF something happened, an argument based on speculation seems pointless.

Ebay has, according to two different sources here, 1) said that it is the POLICY of ebay to ask for verification on bids of over $10,000, etc. and 2) said that it was a spyware program that caused the problem....

So which is it?

ANY bidders bidding over $15k need to put a credit card or checking account on file with Ebay before being allowed to bid over that amount. This is to prevent people with no intention or ability to pay from running bids up to ridiculous amounts on a lark. (I thought it was $10k, but here's the official ebay page.)

This is where the seller's other bidders got hung up, and why they couldn't place a bid.

As I said earlier, this is not a failure of ebay, it is a failure of the bidders to be aware of ebay's rules. As you can see from this Ebay guide, this requirement has existed for at least three years.

So which is it?

ANY bidders bidding over $15k need to put a credit card or checking account on file with Ebay before being allowed to bid over that amount. This is to prevent people with no intention or ability to pay from running bids up to ridiculous amounts on a lark. (I thought it was $10k, but here's the official ebay page.)

This is where the seller's other bidders got hung up, and why they couldn't place a bid.

As I said earlier, this is not a failure of ebay, it is a failure of the bidders to be aware of ebay's rules. As you can see from this Ebay guide, this requirement has existed for at least three years.

Since you seemed to have missed it from the very first post, some of the bidders were aware of the requirements, fulfilled them, and STILL got their bids blocked... Seems to me that the problem was at the eBay end (see below, emphasis added).

Then I started getting messages..........

Messages from bidders saying that they had not been allowed to bid at the end of the auction. Before they could bid, ebay demanded that they verify their bank accounts, their credit card numbers, their identity before laying down a bid. The auction timed out as they tried to get through to ebay. Two people stated that they got the info down on time and then watched their bids time out without registering anyways.

I called up ebay. I was informed that, when an auction goes over $10,000, ebay requires unregistered bidders to confirm their identity. I told the rep that all these bidders were confirmed and gave the rep their ebay IDs (feedback scores ranging from 300+ all the way to 4000+ and everyone with 100% positive). The ebay rep said they did not understand it, these bidders should not have been blocked like that.

I'm glad you found that, I didn't see it. I also never would have thought of it, since I think I've always had a credit card on file, since I paid my fees that way.

BTW, if the winning bid was $14500, the next bid would have been $15k, not $17 (unless the under bidder bid more) :shrug:

Since you seemed to have missed it from the very first post, some of the bidders were aware of the requirements, fulfilled them, and STILL got their bids blocked... Seems to me that the problem was at the eBay end (see below, emphasis added).

Then I started getting messages..........

Messages from bidders saying that they had not been allowed to bid at the end of the auction. Before they could bid, ebay demanded that they verify their bank accounts, their credit card numbers, their identity before laying down a bid. The auction timed out as they tried to get through to ebay. Two people stated that they got the info down on time and then watched their bids time out without registering anyways.

I called up ebay. I was informed that, when an auction goes over $10,000, ebay requires unregistered bidders to confirm their identity. I told the rep that all these bidders were confirmed and gave the rep their ebay IDs (feedback scores ranging from 300+ all the way to 4000+ and everyone with 100% positive). The ebay rep said they did not understand it, these bidders should not have been blocked like that.

OK, now THIS sounds like the Malware/spyware that the rep described to me...as a matter of fact, exactly like it. I wonder if these people were victims of a phishing scam?

I'm no computer expert, but wouldn't the spyware/malware be on the bidder's computer? If so, is that eBay's fault?

I still hate the masked IDs, so don't think I'm apologizing for eBay, I'm just trying to figure out something that would make sense? and I don't know about anyone else, but I would NEVER give a site my bank account numbers (edit) I set up a special one for PayPal)...the rep also mentioned that the scam included asking for SS numbers.

I'm with Foolkiller, Flaming Telepath, and (especially) Frankbearrs on this one:

John, you choose to do business with eBay. You trusted that their auction site would work best for you and get the best price for your books.

You were the seller and you made this decision. eBay's problems, technical glitches, nightmare customer service, apparent outright lack of any concern for the sellers protection and point of view, and ability to keep things fair in light of shills, snipes, etc. have all been well documented.

At the end of the day the hammer fell and the buyer won the book. Doesn't sound like there were threats, swears, etc. until you told the buyer that you were not going to honor the sale and wished that he cancel the transaction.

Legally, the contract should be honored and the sale should go through. Likewise any potential damages are moot since the $14,500 is in-line with GPA/FMV.

In 2006, I was a floor bidder at a comic auction where I bought my first significant Golden Age books. Due to confusion and mix-up by the auctioneer, he skipped a lot, and floor and phone bidders were thus prevented from bidding on that specific lot that sold artificially low to a remote bidder via Ebay's live auction. I was one of at least 3 bidders who were willing to pay far more for the lot and could not due to the auctioneer's mix up. Particularly frustrating because the lot contained solid copies of Fighting Yank 3, 6, and 7 (Schomburg war covers, and among the rarest Nedors).

Point is, while Ebay was at fault here, you chose to use Ebay's service without placing a reserve, so you took your chances with the venue. No different then people who complain when their book sells cheaper in a Comiclink auction than the same book in the same grade does the next week at Heritage, or when a seller unwittingly ends an Ebay auction for a key book during the Superbowl.

The contract was between you and the seller, not Ebay, and thus must be honored as such. Then again, I only got a B+ in Contracts, so have at it.

Well, perhaps implied in the performance of said contract is that ebay actually registers the bids that are made on the item? The problem, of course, is did said seller send out an invoice? that may change things.

If the seller sent out the invoice then blob you just opened up a whole new can of worms! ;)

I know Im new here, but after reading this thread.. I had to throw in my 2c

If I was the winning bidder, I too would be furious if the seller cancelled the sale! I'm pretty sure the seller isnt new to Ebay, and understands the gamble you take running a "NO RESERVE" auction. Thats an awful big gamble! It's not like the winner got the book for $200 because Ebay had a glitch. The book went for GPA. Sorry man, I dont know you (anyone in this thread really :blush:), but I think your wrong in cancelling the deal. Regardless of the name calling. There's no ethics or compassion on Ebay. If you wanted that you should have sold it here!! I know you think you got screwed, but a deals a deal!

Is this book going to be re-listed then?

Not on eBay unless he is a glutton for punishment

Two things a wise woman once told me:

As a seller, make sure your starting price is the absolute lowest you will settle for.

As a buyer, contrary to what others may say, never leave your very last bid to the very last seconds.

I'm in agreement that eBay is a pile of smoking mess.

If I were the seller I probably would have honored the bid - on the other hand if I were the buyer I probably would have agreed to cancel the transaction in light of the issues.

I do not think the seller is/was under any obligation to complete the transaction in this case, but that's me.

And while I probably would have a agreed to cancel the transaction as the buyer I would have a little voice in my head wondering if the seller had just changed their mind.

I agree the buyer lost all civility when responding to a polite request from the seller to 'reconsider' the transaction. The OP didn't say he was cancelling the transaction...just that he was considering doing so. If the buyer had responded with any modicum of respect it surely would have turned out better for all parties involved (except stupid- eBay of course). :P

PART TWO:

Of course, there was the guy who actually won the Spider-Man 1. As the week wore on and I realized how bad I had been screwed over, I never heard from him.

So I finally contacted him and wrote:

Hello xxxx,

Since the end of the auction for this book, I have found out that ebay blocked multiple bidders from putting down bids at the end of the auction. In an auction where the bid is greater than $10,000, ebay will not let many bidders bid without having them confirm their phone numbers or addresses or other information first. With a minute to go, multiple bidders were timed out by this requirement. I have contacted ebay/paypal about what has happened and their response has basically just been: "Sorry" and they have, after evidently costing me thousands of dollars, graciously promised to maybe refund me a couple hundred dollars worth of fees. I have also found out that, by ebay's own rules, some of these buyers should not have been blocked at all. If you wish to contact ebay themselves about this, the session ID# is 24134773. I am presently undecided what to do about this but have decided to ask you if you would rescind the transaction in the sense of fairness.

He responded:

This is unacceptable. I'm going to have to file a complaint.

I wrote:

Hello xxxx,

I do not blame you. If I was in your position, I would be very unhappy. Please try to understand my position. If ebay had not blocked the bidders, I now know that the item would have sold for over $17,000 at least (as there may be blocked bidders who did not contact me). Upon informing ebay of the bidders that were blocked (who basically mass e-mailed after the auction), ebay admitted that, by their own regulations, it should not have happened. I have no problem with an auction won fair and square but this..... In any case, I understand your position and have no hard feelings about it. File a complaint, leave a negative, do what you have to do. You still have my apologies for the situation.

The seller then finally paid up with an e-check.

He responded:

I'll pursue a fraud complaint against you through Paypal and my bank.

I wrote:

Be my guest, I could care less. FYI, I canceled your payment. There is no fraud.

He responded:

you're a real **** (rhymes with punt)

I wrote:

The really funny thing is that, if you had simply paid quickly rather than taking all week, you would already have the book. I mailed books out on Monday and Tuesday for those that paid quick. As the week went on and I got message after message about the auction, I began to realize how I had been cheated by ebay. By simply being fast, you could have pocketed thousands.

Then I called him a few expletives of my own. lol

I've never been so happy to be sworn at in my life. It washed away any guilt I felt.

sounds fishy bidders would e-mail you in the middle of the week claiming their bids never went through. Bad seller (tsk)