• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2010 OPG

7 posts in this topic

Well, I had a Border's coupon, so I said what the heck and got it

The market reports are interesting, from "the end of the world is here" to "what a great year for back issues!" Clearly comic dealers HATE Marvel for what they have done with the new books. I don't blame them.

Putting aside the well documented issues folks have with some GA pricing being low, some SA and BA pricing being high depending on grade, classic covers being ignored, etc....

What kills me though are some of the silly low prices for modern books that have been selling higher for a while. Is the Noble Causes Family Secrets/Invincible 3 even broken out? It has been a $15-$25 book for years(?) now and I think they have it at $3 or $5. Those late Deadpools that are $10-$20 routinely are $3. Stuff of Legend wasn't even in there. Walking Dead 1 is still listed at $40 when it routinely sells for $100-$200 raw. New Mutants 98 is $25...

Sure, in theory the OPG is for 9.2 and these are NM prices, but really?

Thing is, there are so few comics from the last 20 years worth a d*arn that OPG could at least list the few that are accurately, especially if we're not talking about a 3 week blip and they've been selling that way for a while. I understand they don't want to be Wizard hyping and flopping over "hot" books, but this is silly.

I wonder what the point is though? Don't dealers want the prices to be higher so that they don't have to explain to customers why they're charging 10X guide? Or are dealers just going to charge what they're going to charge and this makes it easier to pay not much for these moderns and make a decent profit on them? But if someone is bringing their WD 1 into a shop to sell they probably have a decent idea OPG isn't accurate OR they have no idea it's even worth more than a buck.

It's a guide, not the gospel. That's how I take it. OSPG obviously doesn't have their ear to the ground of the comic buying and selling market. At times, I think some online price guides are a better gauge of the market than OSPG.

if someone is bringing their WD 1 into a shop to sell they probably have a decent idea OPG isn't accurate OR they have no idea it's even worth more than a buck.

I think most people would sell thier WD 1 on Ebay now then get nickeled and dimed at thier LCS, most collectors have evolved from the early 1990`s days of taking thier keys to the lcs and only getting paid pennies on the dollar.Internet has opened up a whole new world of selling. (thumbs u

if someone is bringing their WD 1 into a shop to sell they probably have a decent idea OPG isn't accurate OR they have no idea it's even worth more than a buck.

I think most people would sell thier WD 1 on Ebay now then get nickeled and dimed at thier LCS, most collectors have evolved from the early 1990`s days of taking thier keys to the lcs and only getting paid pennies on the dollar.Internet has opened up a whole new world of selling. (thumbs u

most people...sure, the shop is going to need the exception to get over

at a flea market i bought, for a buck each, WD 8, Noble Causes Family Secrets 3B and Batman Mad Love...the rest of his stuff wasn't worth a buck....while this was hardly winning the lottery (the three resulted in a bit over $50 in ebay sales), it makes me wonder what was there in the 6 hours of the flea market being open that had already been snatched up

plenty of people just have no idea what they have, even a guy selling a long box of books 1 - 10 years old

I have several regional shops I go to somewhat frequently, they live and die by the Overstreet. That's why they have empty bins of Deadpool and Walking Dead, and endless piles of such books like Uncanny 244 sitting at $30.00 and Hulk 330 at $25.00 with no takers. Its good if you get there when new collections arrive :headbang: , but they can't figure out why 98% of the books just don't sell. :screwy: