• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is non key comic collecting becoming a hobby of only reader copies or 9.8s??

40 posts in this topic

Im just curious as to how others feel and figured I would get some opinions rolling on the board. It seems to me that much of comic collecting seems to be divided amongst collectors who just by reading copies or investors that buy 9.8 with much of everything else in between, if not a key book, just left in wasteland. Im seeing many dealers selling 100, 200, 300 thousand books at a clip of either low grade or mid grade non investor books at low prices. Seems they want to dump stock and get out of low or mid grade material.

This hobby to me seems to be heading in a direction of either key books in any grade or 9.8s for any other type of book. Whenever I talk to a collector now, on any newer books they say they will just wait of a 9.8.

It seems our hobby is changing into either high prices for high grade material or low prices for low grade with everything in the middle cast off into wasteland. I know in the past Fines and Fine + was considered as a glorified VG but the price straddle between a low grade book and a high grade book is really showing a difference.

Any thoughts on this? Enlighten me!

This post caught me off guard as it did not begin with, "QUESTION:".

However, the answer is yes. For most Copper to Modern books, it is either 9.8, 9.9, 10.0 or nothing. Some 9.8s are practically worthless at this point.

No, although it may seem that way from spending alot of time on the boards.

There are still plenty of SA and BA collectors who are more interested in unslabbed material than slabs, are focused on the nicest looking copies over those with best structure, and are building complete runs of books. These collectors are "unseen" in the sense that they don't participate in major auctions, the Registry, and the other trappings of the ultra highgrade slab trade.

There are still plenty of SA and BA collectors who are more interested in unslabbed material than slabs, are focused on the nicest looking copies over those with best structure, and are building complete runs of books. These collectors are "unseen" in the sense that they don't participate in major auctions, the Registry, and the other trappings of the ultra highgrade slab trade.

Spot on! Anyone who only gets 9.8 SA comics doesn't buy a whole lot of SA comics. I myself love F - VFs.

....especially with the 1956-1963 books. Lots of people still appreciate a nice PQ 5.0 to 7.0.....they look great in a mylar. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I recommend this for most "on target" post of the year! :applause:

100% correct. (thumbs u

There's a huge market for unslabbed Silver & Bronze goodies in decent condition with good eye-appeal.

There are also thousands of completists who are quite happy with Copper & Moderns in VF or better condition.

We are only a very small, non-representative segment of the overall comics market here.

For Copper Age unless it is a major run like Amazing Spider-man or something to that effect 9.8's don't even cut it. Basically for 95 percent of Copper Age books it seems that only 9.9's, and above will do. For the Modern Age it seems that only 10.0's, and above will do. That really is too bad since there are so many great books in the copper age.

For Copper Age unless it is a major run like Amazing Spider-man or something to that effect 9.8's don't even cut it. Basically for 95 percent of Copper Age books it seems that only 9.9's, and above will do. For the Modern Age it seems that only 10.0's, and above will do. That really is too bad since there are so many great books in the copper age.

But that only applies to the slabbed market.

Which is minute in relative terms.

100% correct. (thumbs u

There's a huge market for unslabbed Silver & Bronze goodies in decent condition with good eye-appeal.

There are also thousands of completists who are quite happy with Copper & Moderns in VF or better condition.

We are only a very small, non-representative segment of the overall comics market here.

Sums me up perfectly , I prefer raw good eye appeal comics , and yes I am a completist working quietly away on full runs VF+ .

Oh, really? So how does this fit with the fact that the vast majority of coppers and moderns have no CGC 9.9 or 10.0 copies available?

Oh, really? So how does this fit with the fact that the vast majority of coppers and moderns have no CGC 9.9 or 10.0 copies available?

I agree, utter blather. They only Modern books that see a high percentage of 9.9s or a handful of 10.0s are the books with the thicker cover stocks. Most of which don't have that high of a commercial demand.

You still don't see that many mainstream titles (Marvel & DC) above 9.8 or a regular basis.

I would have to agree with Michael. There are a lot of Copper and Modern books that I would love to get in CGC 9.9 or 10.0 but there aren't any, so I am just happy to get 9.8's when I can find them.

The problem is more on the demand side. Over the years Copper seems to have taken a beating of epic proportions. Almost every single copper age title has gone down in value. Even the not so common 9.8's have almost universally gone down. Heck, if I am wrong then great. I would love people to prove me wrong on this. See I would love the copper age to be actually hotter than I perceive it to be. But in my experience that is not the case.