• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oddly shaped TOS #39?

13 posts in this topic

I don't own a copy so I'm not really up on exactly what the cover characteristics should be. I don't see anything, but since two of you do I will be curiuos to see what the other opinions are and the exact reasons for it being different????

popcorn.gifpopcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

Odd, as it out of the ordinary, yes.

Odd, as in it must be a post-market trim, not at all. Books like this came off the press with some regularity; it's the job of the operator to find these books, discard them, and adjust the machines so they stop miscutting. Sometimes, books like this made it out to the stands and weren't discarded.

I don't own a copy so I'm not really up on exactly what the cover characteristics should be. I don't see anything, but since two of you do I will be curiuos to see what the other opinions are and the exact reasons for it being different????

It's not cut square. I wasn't implying that it was trimmed after production. For the record, I would never imply that a book was trimmed based on a scan, since the signs one uses to determine if a book has been trimmed aren't visible in a scan.

In regards to this book, even if I had it in my hand, a book not being cut square is just about the last piece of evidence I would use to determine if a book had been trimmed. Someone would have to be a insufficiently_thoughtful_person of the highest order to apply an after-market trim at an angle.

I want to point out again, since I like to champion this cause, you really can't tell if a book has been trimmed from a scan.

I want to point out again, since I like to champion this cause, you really can't tell if a book has been trimmed from a scan.

Au contraire... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

trim.jpg

That's only because we saw the before and after photo's!!!! 893naughty-thumb.gif

If we hadn't seen them, how many forum members would have been able to figure out that the book had been trimmed 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Don't say 100% cause I'm not buying it 893frustrated.gif

foreheadslap.gif

That's not "trim." That's "spine roll removal." 27_laughing.gif

Au contraire... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

trim.jpg

Not just trimming. You can't tell ANYTHING about a book from a scan except for the most obvious defects.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not just trimming. You can't tell ANYTHING about a book from a scan except for the most obvious defects.

Were you guys around when the most obvious trimmed top on the Batman 11 from the two images taken a few months aparts were deliberated on the Forum, then later commented on, verified, and the situation rectified by Steve Borock himself?

thumbsup2.gif Personally, I too believed that you couldn't tell slight defect differences from scans either, but aparrently if the images are large and clear enough, you can because I saw it myself once it was brought to my attention.

That was a before and after, right? To me that's a different scenario than looking at the cut of a 60s Marvel and saying, "yeah it looks funny someone must have trimmed it later on in its life." I guess the question is, without the "before" and without knowing something was up would people have noticed it with the Batman 11?

That was a before and after, right? To me that's a different scenario than looking at the cut of a 60s Marvel and saying, "yeah it looks funny someone must have trimmed it later on in its life." I guess the question is, without the "before" and without knowing something was up would people have noticed it with the Batman 11?

Seems awfully unlikely to me. Even if you had another copy of Bats 11 in your hands for comparison purposes, the production processes in those days were pretty 'variable' from one copy of a book to the next.