• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Alternative Cover to Avengers #37

30 posts in this topic

I actually like the alternate cover more...thanks for sharing

Ditto, and it has more potential than the original. It could have been tweaked a little and made even better.

My issue with a lot of covers is the bad proportioning of the characters. Way too many have exaggerated sizes, just look at the many Overstreet covers and see the giant Submariner and Captain America.

I like both covers but in my mind there was probably no one a cover was going to be run with the backside of Cap. He is front and center in the redo and I bet that came down from the top.

The earlier comment about this cover being far down the path of being used means someone higher up the food chain put the brakes on and said lets take a look a something else.

The cover by Don Heck.

Av37AltCover.jpg

WOW! This is insanely bad work by Heck. Having heroes with their backs to the audience is amatuer enough, but, um, that is a really poor choice of placement and positioning between Colossus and Goliath. And what is with the splash-like burst between them? And Colossus' expression? What exactly is Colossus doing to Goliath? Will Ned Beatty be playing Goliath in the movie?

Although, it would have been a "classic cover" in its own right! Or at least notorious!

This is one these situations in which I have simply wonder what you are looking at.

How can this cover be "insanely bad". Is something wrong with Heck's command of the pencil or the brush? It's beautifully crafted.

The "heroes with their backs to the audience is amatuer (sic)". Show me the rule.

One can manipulate a character's placement for a myriad of artistic reasons. In this case, three (out of the seven heroes) are placed in the foreground with their backs to the viewer.

This accomplishes two things: as a viewer, you are brought into the composition ("standing at the edge") and emphasizes the size and threat of the Colossus.

And frankly, when I view a comic book cover I don't use my "critical vision" to search out sexual innuendo. That's just seeking a cheap laugh at the expense of the artist's integrity. :sumo:

Well said! I like the alternate better, because of the inclusionary aspect of being behind the heroes (and it's nice to see the female heroes coming in from behind Colossus)... Compositionally, Heck was a master of the medium, and this piece is a prime example.

The cover by Don Heck.

Av37AltCover.jpg

WOW! This is insanely bad work by Heck. Having heroes with their backs to the audience is amatuer enough, but, um, that is a really poor choice of placement and positioning between Colossus and Goliath. And what is with the splash-like burst between them? And Colossus' expression? What exactly is Colossus doing to Goliath? Will Ned Beatty be playing Goliath in the movie?

Although, it would have been a "classic cover" in its own right! Or at least notorious!

This is one these situations in which I have simply wonder what you are looking at.

How can this cover be "insanely bad". Is something wrong with Heck's command of the pencil or the brush? It's beautifully crafted.

The "heroes with their backs to the audience is amatuer (sic)". Show me the rule.

One can manipulate a character's placement for a myriad of artistic reasons. In this case, three (out of the seven heroes) are placed in the foreground with their backs to the viewer.

This accomplishes two things: as a viewer, you are brought into the composition ("standing at the edge") and emphasizes the size and threat of the Colossus.

And frankly, when I view a comic book cover I don't use my "critical vision" to search out sexual innuendo. That's just seeking a cheap laugh at the expense of the artist's integrity. :sumo:

Excellent summary.

I think its a pretty good cover. Seems to carry more action, tension and depth than the Gil Kane cover. The title balloon could have been placed under Caps rear end. As far as Goliath, maybe more of a side shot (his right side next to the villain instead of his rear end) would have removed the questionable positioning. Cap with his back to us still leaves no question as to his identity since the front and back of his costume are virtually the same. Can somebody color this and put it up?