• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Iron Man and Sub-mariner #1

19 posts in this topic

I take it you mean foxing reduces it that low? Hmm, I didn't think it would hit the grade that hard, seems foxing is ok in a 6.0 and 7.0, I guess I know more now.
Im jus guessing as to why they graded it so low. (shrug) The book does look to have heavy foxing in the scan. 5.0 looks about right to me.

Looking for opinions on this book, thanks.

imsm1-60.jpg

imsm1b.jpg

I looked at it before, and ignoring the PQ surface issue, I could see it near 6.0/6.5, but then how severe is that staining/foxing etc? I figured about 2-3 steps, so the 5.0 may be close. I don't have a good grasp and how the various stains affect the CGC grading. That is one thing, the other is how much cannot be seen well enough in a picture.

Pictures sometimes mask or hide or reduce issues. But they can also exaggerate the same kinds of defects. That's why so often the phrase comes up "depending on what it looks like in hand." CGC has the massive advantage of handling the books and seeing them from any and all angles or distances. I'm amazed at how well some people do grade by pictures, I applaud them for having better eyesight than me and/or knowledge of what to look for.

Psst, was that too wordy? Regards,

I am curious what you see that brings the book down to a 4.5? It was sold to me as a 6.5 although I think it is lower, 5.5 seems to fit to me. The thumb crease on outside edge seems too much for a 6.0 for sure.

I gave the book 4.5 grade for FC wear with the thumb crease and creasing on Subby's thigh and winged foot the spine tear on the BC to spine creases. The foxing is why I dropped to a 4.5 range. It could be 5.0, but I'm not a fan of foxing on books. This is all just my opinion.

I am curious what you see that brings the book down to a 4.5? It was sold to me as a 6.5 although I think it is lower, 5.5 seems to fit to me. The thumb crease on outside edge seems too much for a 6.0 for sure.

I gave the book 4.5 grade for FC wear with the thumb crease and creasing on Subby's thigh and winged foot the spine tear on the BC to spine creases. The foxing is why I dropped to a 4.5 range. It could be 5.0, but I'm not a fan of foxing on books. This is all just my opinion.

pretty much the same, although I dont see a 5.0