• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1941 World's Best Comics No 1

11 posts in this topic

I've got a Restored Copy, That looks "pretty" similar, BUT this is probably a little nicer. My Copy CGC graded 3.0 Moderate Restoration. I paid a small Fraction of that Starting price (Around $750). I thought I got an OK Deal, and the PLOD does not bother me.

I bought a VGF copy(cgc'd) a month ago for $2300. If you wish to see a scan let me know. Grimstarman also had a couple of copies on E-Bay a month or so ago. It is not a particularly hot title (world's finest) right now. A movie or two couldn't hurt.

I just got a #3 back from CGC. It graded a 6.5 with off-white to white pages along with slight (P) restoration. The only restoration is "a small amount of color touch on the cover". Its for sale, so PM offers if interested. I'll look to post a scan later on in the week.

As an aside, I thought a "small amount of color touch" was allowed on GA books in order to still get a blue label! Is so, then why did this come back purple?

bhampel

I just got a #3 back from CGC. It graded a 6.5 with off-white to white pages along with slight (P) restoration. The only restoration is "a small amount of color touch on the cover". Its for sale, so PM offers if interested. I'll look to post a scan later on in the week.

As an aside, I thought a "small amount of color touch" was allowed on GA books in order to still get a blue label! Is so, then why did this come back purple?

bhampel

Usually what they allow is a "tiny" amount of color touch or glue. How they quantify the difference between "small" and "tiny", I don't know.

Yes, "very minor" and "tiny" seem to be the magic words when it comes to getting a color-touched book (or one with glue on the cover) through the CGC gauntlet and coming out the other end with a Blue label. It may well be the case that your WF # 3 has one, two or a few too many spots of color touch to get the Blue label... Depending the type of materials (inks) used, it might be possible to have enough color touch removed to get the Blue label upon resubmission, without the book dropping significantly in grade.

I'd guess at least 2-3x increase in value, but that's just a guess. You might want to check GPA and see if any copies have sold in that grade range recently, as well as how any restored copies have done...?

I would be leary of buying DC Golden Age Keys at anywhere near guide - even unrestored ones.

If you look at the last Heritage results, most of the keys sold at 15-20% below guide in unrestored shape (if they were below an 8.0)

So if you take a low demand title like World's Finest/Best, it would have to be at a nice discount to get someone interested in it.