• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So how did the AF 15 9.6 PLOD thing turn out?

25 posts in this topic

I bought a few comicsd from Josh about a year and a half ago. I "trusted" him to do right by me based on a couple of good things I had heard. The lkst straw for me was when I told him Ireally wanted an ASM 17 in 9.2 or better. The last sale I had seen was around $1700, amybe a little more. He comes back and tells me he found one for $2300. I told him that seemed high and was it possible to do better. He assured me the book was getting very tough to find and that I should grab it if I really want it.

OIwent ahead and within a week I saw a similar book for for about $1800. I asked Josh about it and he said he would have no prob;lem reselling the book at the same price I had bought it. I don't know if a 17 has gone for that price since.

I think I got bad advice from Josh and because exactly the same types of problems described here decided that I wouldn't do business with him again.

Looking back at teh 5-6 books I bought from him, all were among the most overpriced in my entire collection. I have "paper profits" averaging 29% on every spider-man book I have on average. I am not ahead on any but one of the books I bought from Josh, an ASM 77 in 9.2 that I bought for $100.

I have only myself to blame. I was quite interested in finding someone help me obtain high quality ASM comics that I thought I could really trust. I thought he was the guy.

My experience with Heritage is not as bad, but still not good overall. It takes more due dilligence, but eBay is the only way to go. I have subscribed to GPA and that has made a world of difference so far as understanding the current market. For $10.00 a month i couldn't rec'd it highly enough.

But on GP analysis, the prices of even a few months ago, on the hot titles and numbers in high grade seem far lower than what the Ebay auction prices are as of late. There are bids, not even wins as of yet, on Josh's website that are far in excess of GP analysis and these books are being spoken for sometimes within hours of being listed on Link.

You have to also consider that Josh is working with other people's merchandise in most cases. Certain items, may be withdrawn at any time by the consigner, much like when an ebayer abruptly ends an auction. I don't know what the terms of his contract with his consignors are but unless the contract stipulates that once the comic is in his hands, a sale can't be rescinded, or a comic must be shipped to him for sale (sometimes he doesn't physically have the comic and the consignor must ship it to him after a sale is made), he may be powerless in certain circumstances to transcend the wishes of the consignor. Plus, if you've had Josh list a comic on Link, and you haven't physically sent it to him, if it sells on the site and now he tells you to send it to him for sale, what happens if you, as the consignor, refuse to??

I trust Josh's credibility 100%. With the consignment system, there may be problems from time to time that are beyond his control.