• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How well does Metropolis grade?

146 posts in this topic

D'oh! The only one I have is the Superman book, and it's actually in NM!

-- Joanna

Double D'oh!

Don't you dare sell it Joanna........I may get the copy from Metropolis and think it's . smile.gif I'd trust your judgement on NM before some big supplier......no matter how good people think they are.

Plus, Metropolis wouldn't tell me how well the cover is centered, etc. How does your copy appear? Any chance I could see a scan of it? I don't know if I could cancel the order with Metropolis or not (I just placed the order a couple of hours ago), but I'd rather buy from you.

Anyone else have any of the other books?

Bug -- I went to get it out for scanning and saw that it's not NM, as the bottom left corner has an impact. I didn't see it at first because of the color of the art. I'm sorry. Stick with your other copy.

Greggy -- 233, yes, I have it (GREAT issue!) but it's not up to your standards. It has some small spine ticks and a 1/4" corner fold. Sorry.

Like I said, you never know with my books. Sometimes they're great, sometimes they're not.

-- Joanna

lol......they don't need to be CGC graded.......but I would like to have them in true NM condition if they are raw.....and as well centered as possible.

And what are you saying?.........that my list seems a little strange? grin.gif

Ok......Ok........I'll spill it.

These were some of the first comics I owned as a kid and they hold a certain amount of meaning to me. They won't mean much to someone else.....but to me.......they're a part of my childhood and the reason I got into comics to begin with. smile.gif

When you get a chance, would you let me know if you have any of them and what their condition is? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Hey Bug -

Check out Blazing Bob's site highgradecomics.com. I looked earlier and he had a Supes #275 listed NM (I didn't put it up earlier cause I didn't want to cut Joanna). His grading is real tight. If Metro doesn't work out, I suggest him. He also has tons of CGC stuff from the SA. Your book was $8. (How's that for a plug! laugh.gif )

Chris

Oh yeah, at least a 9.2, I grade it a solid NM. The only thing they might knock it down to 9.0/9.2 for is the wiggly spine, but the book has white pages, and no creases or surface wear. It's tough to get these squarebounds with perfectly square/even spines, and this book looks brand-new.

greggy (with a lowercase "g" wink.gif ) - what's your experience with CGC downgrading squarebounds with less than perfectly centered spines?

My GS X-Men 1 got a 9.6 with the whole spine off-centered. All my other 9.4s were pretty well centered. Never had a DC graded myself but the Western Penn DC Special #4 that I bought received a grade of 9.6 with more off-centering than your DC Super Stars. tongue.gif

drbanner................p.m. sent.

greggy........just let me know what you got........if you got another copy of the DC Super Stars of Space #2.....let me know.......I might buy it as a backup if it's in as good or better condition as docs.

chrisco37......thanks for the heads up on Blazing Bobs sight.......I've been there before but haven't really looked at his raw books. He was definetely cheaper than Metropolis on that Supes book

Bug, I have bad news for you. I can't fill any of your wantlists! frown.gif Banner's copy of DC Super Stars 2 looks better than both of my copies so you are better off with his copy. Only have 1 copy of Superman 275 and I can't guarantee that my copies of World's Finest 219 and Action 413 to be better than your CGC 9.4 copies. Damn you, you could have asked for some common junk like the DC 100 page giants! mad.gif

lol........sorry greggy........thanks for looking anyway.

The only problem with my Action #413 that's CGC graded 9.4 is that the book appears to be wavy in the case.

I don't know what the problem is with it......maybe it's the way they sealed it in the "well". I don't know if they'd crack it open and reseal it for me for free or what I should do about it. I hate to pay another $25 for them to reseal this thing up when it's probably their fault to begin with.

How does your copy of Supes # 275 look? If the one I get from Metropolis doesn't look very good, I may be interested in your copy.

My World's Finest # 219 is a pristine CGC 9.4 with White pages.....a really nice copy.

I know there was a 100 page giant or two that was in my original collection as a kid, but I can't remember what they were. I'll check when I go back home for Christmas and let you know. We may be able to do some business yet. laugh.gif

Well, it only costs $7 to reslab a book. However, that does not cover shipping both ways. Only have 1 copy of Superman 275 and I do not break up my DC runs so you are out of luck. It is only a borderline 9.4 anyways so it is iffy. Yeah, I need to dump...er sell some of my numerous doubles and triples and....more of my 100 pagers! wink.gif